dollar bonnet

Help Support CattleToday:

Redman

Reaction score
How deep does a pond need not to grow dollar bonnet it is about 3-4 feet deep duck pond .It is covered with the stuff.I would like to have a good woodduck pond

Redman, somebody's probably out there wondering what in tarnation is a dollar bonnet, so why don't you go ahead and tell them in case they're too bashfull about asking?

Angus Cowman":2q1jbc7t said:
put some of that blue dye in it
it will help keep plants and algae from growing
Problem is that it will eventaully come back. If it's anything like spatterdock it won;t start unless the water is about 2-3 foot deep minimum. But once it gets started if it's like spatterdock it will spread to water at least 12 feet deep.
Just as a matter of interest to probably no one, a willow tree can sprout and grow even when the base is permanently submerged in 10 feet of water.

I believe Dollar Bonnet is a cousin to Spatterdock, the only difference is that Dollar Bonnet is finer stemmed and the head is about two inchs across

Dollar Bonnet sounds like a lily pad. I always thought wood ducks preferred ponds with lily pads and cypress trees.

ga. prime":2r5mr35t said:
Dollar Bonnet sounds like a lily pad. I always thought wood ducks preferred ponds with lily pads and cypress trees.
We alwasy called wood ducks "acorn ducks" because they lived aorund the oak swamps and ate acorns

dun":2iav5k2a said:
ga. prime":2iav5k2a said:
We alwasy called wood ducks "acorn ducks" because they lived aorund the oak swamps and ate acorns
Yes, they do love acorns and will spend the day in creeks and rivers foraging for them during the time they are dropping -which is during hunting season- and as long as the acorns remain. They also love the fruit of the blackgum trees that also fall into the water during this time. Many of the wood ducks will then fly into cypress ponds(invariably filled with lily pads) at dark (just after legal shooting hours cease) to spend the night. They then leave the cypress pond right before sun up (when legal shooting hours resume). They're very smart ducks. :lol2: I'm not a wildlife biologist by any stretch- this is just my observation.

Latest posts