Doing the baby waiting game

Help Support CattleToday:

DrumRunner728

Reaction score
I'm not known for my patience (my husband will vouch for that), but I have a mare that's about to wear me out waiting for her to foal. We pasture breed so we can't be too certain about the foaling date, but these photos were taken two weeks ago. She's HUGE and miserable. She's normally the sweetest natured mare on the farm, but the last several days she's taking to backing her ears at the world (with the exception of me). Not that I blame her much for that. I can only imagine how she must feel right now.

Duck3.jpg

Duck2.jpg

Your Mare is looking really good.Leave her be she will foal when she is ready.DO NOT INDUCE her, you will loose the foal! Nature knows when its best. the mares arround here in the pacific northwest have been running late this year. Some as much as a mo.
She is a lovely mare and the foal will be worth the wait!!
I wish you the best! Cindy

Thanks, Cindy - she is a wonderful mare. I would never induce a horse. Honestly, that thought never crossed my mind. :eek:

But here's the cool part - guess what was waiting for me Sunday morning when I went to check on the mare???!!! An adorable little stud colt - healthy and nursing. Mom is doing great, too. I'll post pics later today! :D :D :D