doing something different

Help Support CattleToday:

mccabe226

Reaction score
this next year im going to start breeding my own replacement heifers cause im sick of buying crap from the sale barn, and not knowing what im getting. so my plan is to buy 15 or so black angus and putting a hereford on them. im not very good with epd's so i was wondering what i should be looking for in a bull as far as epd's or just on any suggestions as to where i could find one? ive got a cow herd of about 150 and finish out all my calves.

mccabe226":3acb0nhq said:
this next year im going to start breeding my own replacement heifers cause im sick of buying crap from the sale barn, and not knowing what im getting. so my plan is to buy 15 or so black angus and putting a hereford on them. im not very good with epd's so i was wondering what i should be looking for in a bull as far as epd's or just on any suggestions as to where i could find one? ive got a cow herd of about 150 and finish out all my calves.
if i had 150 momas id bet i could find atleast 15 keepers out of em,,, thats 10# i think the average is 20# surely your herd aint that bad

I started by buying 7 old reg. Black angus for a guy getting out .Talk to you people that have cattle, pull up into their yard, knock on the door and talk..Most I find will gladly help you...If you see a bull you like ask them to rent/lease to you,they quite often will...250 to 300 $ ayear...I have never bought at the sale barn, never will...I have a Hereford bull on the girls, a well know Hereford man(in this area) had use this bull in his (Reg. hereford) program for 3 years, and was ready to sale him, I got him 300$ down and can pay the 1200$ bal, or return after a year...Wife and grand kids love him, his name is patches and I will wait on calves before I puchase him....Alittle thin at 1850 lbs, but he has worked hard this year....Also have do business with him before(very honest man) , and he sies the bull throw small calves...Saw his cow and the bulls calves I agree with him...

grannysoo":1pad199j said:
What are you raising now that you can't keep heifers off of?
little bit of everything, black, red, and 50 or so char-limi cross. ive got plenty of good cows i could keep calves out of but what im looking for is a more uniform herd that i know all the breeding on. and i run mostly limi bulls, and a black baldie x limi makes one heck of a nice calf.

If you could buy "real good" F1's bred heifers for $1200 would you do it?

I'll give you $850 for 'em if they're 7 month or longer bred. That's about what they'd bring down here but our market is pretty depressed right now.

EAT BEEF":iiseoazq said:
no, ive got the facilitys and enough small seperate pastures to be able to raise my own. and bred heifers arnt bringing that much in my area, even the good ones.

mccabe226":221uupok said:
EAT BEEF":221uupok said:
no, ive got the facilitys and enough small seperate pastures to be able to raise my own. and bred heifers arnt bringing that much in my area, even the good ones.

Just thought I would ask. I don't see how it will work if you only have 15 cows,the most replacements your going to get is 6-7 a year,so you are still going to buy replacement to maintain your herd.I think I would breed 50 of my better cows to a maternal bull,if I was going to raise my own replacements.

EAT BEEF":zxkqa1q2 said:
mccabe226":zxkqa1q2 said:
EAT BEEF":zxkqa1q2 said:

Just thought I would ask. I don't see how it will work if you only have 15 cows,the most replacements your going to get is 6-7 a year,so you are still going to buy replacement to maintain your herd.I think I would breed 50 of my better cows to a maternal bull,if I was going to raise my own replacements.

i average out only buying 6 or 7 replacements a year

I don't understand.I have cows that have lasted 18-19 years old,but yours are lasting an avg. of 23 years?

mccabe226":2ebcm8r6 said:

THAT can't be right over time. With 150 head 2 or 3 are going too get injured, come up lame, prolapse, lose an eyeball, blow out an udder, bloat, or inexplicably drop dead, 3 or 4 are going to come up open or lose a calf, 4 or 5 are going to have dinky little calves, and then ~10 are just going too get too old (143 cows/14 avg productive years) . Minimal replacement rate ought to be ~21 a year.

with 15 cows im going to have to end up buying some extras every so often, but my goal is to build my herd up to being all black baldie's eventually, never have breed for replacements so im kinda new to this game. the purpose of this thread was for someone to help me out with a bull

mccabe226":37n27vvg said:
with 15 cows im going to have to end up buying some extras every so often, but my goal is to build my herd up to being all black baldie's eventually, never have breed for replacements so im kinda new to this game. the purpose of this thread was for someone to help me out with a bull

If you decide to go with an easy calving Angus bull, I'd be glad to help. :) Before you buy a bull of any breed, take time to look at the across breed EPD table from MARC.

http://www.ars.usda.gov/sp2UserFiles/Pl ... 09News.pdf

Frankie":1364ldda said:
mccabe226":1364ldda said:

If you decide to go with an easy calving Angus bull, I'd be glad to help. :) Before you buy a bull of any breed, take time to look at the across breed EPD table from MARC.

Always preaching the gospel of Angus arent ya?

Sure Black Angus have more data, numbers than the next 3 breeds combined, sure makes pushing angus easy...

mccabe226":303etxwm said:

Any of them angus bulls we buy locally seem to work on Lim heifers but this years batch of calves will be from a Red Poll cause we had an extra one. We sold off the heifer bull 3 years ago but still have the last one we bought and made a little money on the first. We usually don't turn them each year but it came down to the math.

I can't say how an angus will do on angus heifers. We always try to go easy on the heifer and sell the first calf anyway.

mccabe226":2ttgct89 said:
EAT BEEF":2ttgct89 said:
Good for you, but as far as we know your area could be on the Moon, or anywhere on Earth. Very difficult to do any kind of business with someone if you dont know where they are.
Tom

S&WSigma40VEShooter":2x6dde61 said:
Frankie":2x6dde61 said:
mccabe226":2x6dde61 said:

S&W, What breed do you raise. Would it possibly be Salers.

kerley":25jaz4xj said:
S&WSigma40VEShooter":25jaz4xj said:
S&W, What breed do you raise. Would it possibly be Salers.
I have been told before that the best Salers come from Tennessee :roll: