Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

jim

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used a elasticator/bander to neuter a dog? I've got a stray that needs to be fixed. Any advice?

so you're wanting to keep the stray but want it fixed?

i've known folks who have banded dogs & it worked........dog lived through it, too.

txag":3cy59vnv said:
so you're wanting to keep the stray but want it fixed?

i've known folks who have banded dogs & it worked........dog lived through it, too.
Man don't own a knife?

ollie":3iqb93z6 said:
Man don't own a knife?

?? wasn't my dog & i didn't do it (i wasn't even there). maybe they thought it was more humane?

I understand. Just seems odd when you can cut them. I bet the chew the band .

He's an excellent kids dog, my 9 year old son wants to keep him, and I've never casterated anything, and didn't want it bleeding to death. I'm also cheap, so figured the bander would be a good alternative to an expensive vet visit.

Ok, I've seen dogs bleed to death being cut, die from toxicity from being banded, and mutilate the farmer's arm from being pinched. (only saw one...) And you guys wonder why the heck animal rights activists are targeting farmers.?!?
I am not a bleeding heart liberal but what if it was YOU we were talking about. If the dog dies, and it's LIKELY, what have the kids learned? If it lives, it'll not be the same dog.

Spend the fifty bucks and get it done right!

GRRRRR
Vicki, heading off on her broomstick...

Ok, I've seen dogs bleed to death being cut, die from toxicity from being banded, and mutilate the farmer's arm from being pinched. (only saw one...) And you guys wonder why the heck animal rights activists are targeting farmers.?!?
I am not a bleeding heart liberal but what if it was YOU we were talking about. If the dog dies, and it's LIKELY, what have the kids learned? If it lives, it'll not be the same dog.

GRRRRR

Hear! Hear! Well said.

Broomstick?

:shock: :shock:

Bez

Bez":105qzyu4 said:

GRRRRR

Hear! Hear! Well said.

Broomstick?

:shock: :shock:

Bez
Well it will soon be Halloween :lol:

Vicki the Vet":3fvebucx said:

GRRRRR
No stray dog is worth fifty bucks on my farm. Certherfbeef was right to begin with. While you may have seen them bleed to death cutting them , I have seen them not. I bet you have seen steers bleed to death to.I have never had that happen either. Vets are necessary but not for a stray for me.

Think any "surgical" procedure should be done by a Vet using proper tools, antibiotics, anaesthetic. I've even heard of some people considering doing their own C-Section on a cow! Now that is really stupid thinking in my opinion. Some do-it-yourselfers seem to unknowingly run the risk of losing an animal to save a few bucks with DIY surgery...not very bright in my opinion.

Sometimes people forget that animals DO suffer pain! And without proper procedures, the animal can remember who beat up on them....

On a side note...back in the 1940's my dad did his own (knife) castrations. If he was still around and tried that on my herd I'd chase him off the property.... :mad:

Running Arrow Bill":2sajh474 said:
Think any "surgical" procedure should be done by a Vet using proper tools, antibiotics, anaesthetic. I've even heard of some people considering doing their own C-Section on a cow! Now that is really stupid thinking in my opinion. Some do-it-yourselfers seem to unknowingly run the risk of losing an animal to save a few bucks with DIY surgery...not very bright in my opinion.

Sometimes people forget that animals DO suffer pain! And without proper procedures, the animal can remember who beat up on them....

On a side note...back in the 1940's my dad did his own (knife) castrations. If he was still around and tried that on my herd I'd chase him off the property.... :mad:
Castration in my book isn't surgery. I have never seen nor heard of a Vet using anesthesia on a castration "patient"
Me and you are different Bill . I would try brain surgery on a cow with a hammer if I thought it would save money or time. If you can't be your own Vet mostly , mechanic mostly , I don't see how you can make money.

Jim --- I don't know where you're located, so this might not be available to your local vets --- but here in Houston the TV stations are making a big deal of a new serum-injection that can be given to male dogs to sterilize them. Can't for the life of me remember the name of the stuff. But the humane society folks and SPCA are all pushing this since it is so quick and very cheap. They indicated that a vet could literally sterilize hundreds of dogs in an afternoon by giving this particular injection. Now, I don't know if you just want to stop your dog's ability to reproduce or if you want to potentially alter his other behavior and feel that neutering will accomplish that, but you may want to ask around in you area and see if this is a viable (and cheaper) alternative for you.

In my opinion you would think with the big push for nuetering and spaying that those services would be provided free of charge in this country. It would sure lessen the amount of unwanted,abandoned and animals that have to be destroyed every year. Just my 2 cents.

Running Arrow Bill":hvmvxsti said:
Bill something about that don't seem right to me.

Jim don't be so cheap! and don't take the advice of the 3 "cattlemen" your dog, being a mammal just like you, feels the same amount of pain you would if you were held down and someone took and knife and cut off your parts, would it be any better for you if when they were done they offered you a treat? Or maybe it would feel better to be banded. Banding day olds is alot different than banding older more mature animal.

Call around prices really vary for dog nueters, the local humane society may be able to help you with the cost also.

You say this dog gets along well with your son, it sounds like you can have great farm dog, we have two and they more than earn thier keep by running coyotes, getting mice and oh yea running off strangers.

This dog is a stray because of his parts, he is doing what is natuaral, roam and find a female.

Do yourself, your son, your family and your new dog a favor and have him cut by a Vet or take him to the humane society where he will have a chance or be put down humanely.

Alan