dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

andrews29

Reaction score
good afternoon, i have been looking at getting a dog for helping with cattle however i have never had one so i know nothing about training a dog for this. is it something that comes natural ? how do you train them ? thanks

First off you need to make sure you get one that is SPECIFICALLY bred to work- out of generations of working dogs.
Getting a purebred is not good enough anymore.

Second you need to decide what kind of dog you need to get your work done.

Third find a breeder that is breeding that kind of dog that is doing it at a higher level than you ever intend to. Even better to get one from someone willing to mentor you and break your stock for you.

Visit here

http://www.miklescowdogs.net

Howdyjabo":vncyo2gt said:
First off you need to make sure you get one that is SPECIFICALLY bred to work- out of generations of working dogs.
Getting a purebred is not good enough anymore.

Second you need to decide what kind of dog you need to get your work done.

Third find a breeder that is breeding that kind of dog that is doing it at a higher level than you ever intend to. Even better to get one from someone willing to mentor you and break your stock for you.

Visit here

http://www.miklescowdogs.net

I would second all of the above. Even the best working history, genetics etc and any specific dog may not work.

I have enjoyed training my dogs, the one I have now is not really much of a cattle dog, but better than not having a dog at all. I have had some really top class dogs in the past. It just takes time, understanding etc. Dogs are just like us, and each works in their own way.

You might want to talk to a couple of people that train different breeds and discuss your requirements with them. They may also be able to point you towards breeders that have actual working dogs. I've trained a copule myself and their bad habits/mistakes are directly attributable to me. If I was to do it again I would find somewone that has trained dogs or at least started dogs.

thanks for the replys i have been looking for someone around me to help start a dog with no luck so far. what i want the dog to help with is rounding up cattle and pushing them if this helps. i dont have aot of money to spend on this either maybe its something to wait on ?

andrews29":2jrhbdut said:
thanks for the replys i have been looking for someone around me to help start a dog with no luck so far. what i want the dog to help with is rounding up cattle and pushing them if this helps. i dont have aot of money to spend on this either maybe its something to wait on ?
If you cant afford a good dog, train them to come to a bucket or the horn on your truck or waving a white stick, just about anything will work to get them conditioned

dun":2snmoksc said:
andrews29":2snmoksc said:
If you cant afford a good dog, train them to come to a bucket or the horn on your truck or waving a white stick, just about anything will work to get them conditioned

I agree with Dun, dogs in general are expensive to begin with after all the shots, housing ,food etc ,let alone a good stock dog from proven working parents ,and then time you need to put into them to train or to buy one fully trained. Buying the dog is usually the cheapest part .

Bucket training is usually easy and once you get a few to take the lead the whole herd should follow. BUT a good dog is also worth their weight in diamonds ,they can save your butt when you are in a real pickle . :nod:

I got started with free dogs. Lots of people I know got started with free dogs.
So it is possible.

W ether or not you can train one is kinda up to you.
Most of the guys fail around here because they won't put the time in or deal with the extra hassle of having a young dog around.
Then there are the ones that have no dog sense and/or stock sense.

At the very least go watch someone with some good dogs- so you have some idea where to start.

when i say i dont have lots of money im talking thousands i could and would spend a few hundred on one. i can train the basic obedience and have trained my own hunting dogs so putting in the time is not a problem just dont know how for this kind of work

andrews29":1eeomtzd said:
when i say i dont have lots of money im talking thousands i could and would spend a few hundred on one. i can train the basic obedience and have trained my own hunting dogs so putting in the time is not a problem just dont know how for this kind of work

There are a lot of good videos out there and if you train hunting dogs you know how to train dogs to begin with. Now you just have to pick a breed you like to work with. Personally I like border collies ,but you may like healers ,aussies, kelpies etc . I suggest finding different breeders in your area ,meet with them and view the parents working. My working dogs breeder just won the World Stock Dog championship for the 6th time ,and so far I have not been disappointed with how my pup works . I will be getting another pup from them next year.

Since you are in Colorado I will tell you that my friend who I run cattle with has or is about to have a litter of Border collies. From what I have seen she has good dogs.

from my personal i would get a border collie
i bought a place that was set up in 40 acre pastures for rotational grazing.
i was working 10 hr days so i had little time for moving cattle.
i got a blue heeler and he didn't turn out very well, then a i come across cattle bred border collies and bought a pup.
i made lots of mistakes and learned alot from other people, but mostly the dogs had so much gathering instict he knew what to do without my help and he and i learned to work together.
in my opinion the border collies are easier to train and to me seem to be more intelligent.
i have also heard hanging tree dogs are good and have seen some good ones work but i have never ownwd one.

the website howdyjabo gave you has some really helpful people

Border Collies are just way to hyper for my taste. Here are a copule of things to keep in mind (from a BC rescue organization)
The instinct to herd in Border Collies evidences itself differently than in most other herding dogs. Whereas most breeds of herding dogs drive the livestock away from the handler, Border Collies circle the livestock at the far end and bring them back to the handler (known as "gathering" or "fetching"). Additionally, Border Collies tend not to use force (initially) to drive the livestock where they want to but rather, use what is known as "eye", a sort of threatening stare-down that intimidates the stock into moving in the desired direction. If the non-physical means of moving stock do not work, a Border Collie's natural instinct is to slowly escalate the encounter into an ever-increasing use of force. Barking, nipping, and eventually gripping (biting) are used to get the point across

Some can be too hyper
But for me they are unmatched
But I want ALOT from a dog

Oh and some dogs are just born with it. But if both parents are working dogs, that helps alot. I have a heeler right now, scared to death of cattle, but boy does she keep the mole population under control. She has already caught 7 this year.

. Barking, nipping, and eventually gripping (biting) are used to get the point across[/quote]

Barking is a big no no- a dog that does that is weak

I have seen a lot of cow dogs over the years in the Big Thicket in every shape form and size.
Black mouth cur or Catahula's the most common, most Bordie Collies are just to weak to work rough cows.
I have seen some excellent ones not near as common as the cur's.
Best cow dog I ever seen was an Airedale. Lot has to do with a dog's grit and willing to listen and be trained
some can some can't. I paid a huge price for a trained cow dog a few years back if a cow got on the fight she just didn't have the grit to stay with it. Lucy was a sweet Bordie collie well mannered just couldn't get over letting a mad cow bluff her. The breeder was a reputable man and bought her back for sheep. Funny thing is she trained Ole Rube one of the best cow dog's I have had and she is a Jack Russell and has plenty of grit. She can make a 2000 pound bull look for an armadillo hole to hide in. Tell Rube to get a holt and one is fixing to have a bloody nose and work on a set of hocks they can't stand it.
Long winded to make the point I think a lot has to do with luck when picking out a dog.
Sometimes I think the good dog finds you.

My dog Bo is an Australian Kelpie. I work my cattle by myself and Bo is an extra pair of hands. While most would not rate her as a good cattle dog, she follows my direction, always looking for my lead, she does at times think she knows best but responds to my commands. Her deficits are all due to my bad training, however I am more than happy and would not be without her. We are great mates and comes everywhere with me, she is very content to sit all day in the truck if need be, never impatient or anxious.
We do not hunt pigs, but so far this year she has got 19 pigs (small ones she holds onto large ones she bales up for me to dispatch with a head shot) mostly in thick timbered country. She just loops out in an arc from me, never goes disappearing over the horizon, she is just so smart and smart enough not to get hurt.
I think she is a brilliant allround dog and would highly recommend a Kelpie to anyone with a bit of room to keep one. She does all that I need a dog to do with cattle.
Ken
PS She cost me $50 at 5 wks of age with first vaccination