Dogs with allergies

Help Support CattleToday:

Lammie":2b13i4fj said:
Angus/Brangus":2b13i4fj said:
.... But the dog is fine now and I'm $1200 lighter :cry2:

If you are gonna spend money like that on a dog, you should look into getting pet health insurance. I would if I were you! :D

Ditto that! :nod:

I love my dogs.... but at the end of the day...... they are just dogs. I guess you can put a price on love.

Reading this post got me to itching... now my back is itchy, arms...

You have some real good advice here: Lamb/Rice food. I don't feed my dog human food...ever. His treats are also the same brand/type as his food. I don't bathe him more than 2 per month. I do have a somewhat foo-foo dog that needs to be groomed. He takes Benadryl on a regular basis (1 pill per 10lbs) but the key for me was giving him Fish Oil. One pill a day. He LOVES them, thinks they are treat... makes his breath smell like fish sticks, but it has turned his skin around! I've also given him my old hypo-allergenic pillow and will wash the pillowcases once a week along with the other rugs and stuff.... May sound over-board but he's an inside dog and I'm a stickler with a clean house.

Best of Luck!

1982vett":26pets2p said:
I did find one flea on my Lab Friday night and have been told that for some dogs one is all it take to set them off. Anyway I made a batch of dip out of 8 oz of Stock-Tox X (10% Permethrin) to 12 1/2 Gal water and gave her a good soaking. Still treating the hot spots and skin irritation but her overall skin color is improving.

UPDATE: She improved for a few days but then it seem to start loosing ground. As it happened I woke up on the 10th and my lab/mix had her front left leg swollen to about twice its normal size. Only thing I could think of that might have happened was snake bite so I loaded them both up and was at the vet clinic when they opened up. He cleand her foot up and she had an area about the size of a nickle that was juicy and kind of looked like the skin was pealing off. I mentioned it didn't look like snake bite and he said it was probably a spider bite. He gave her an anti-inflammatory injection and some anitbiotics. She was walking fine on the leg in a few hours and the next day the swelling was gone and is fine. Now the lab with the skin problem, still could not find any fleas, he put her on prednisolone(steroid) and within a few hours she was comfortable and is healing nicely. Gave her the last dose yesterday so now we will have to see what happens. Put them both on Frontline for fleas and ticks.

Lexi's doing much better. She has more energy and her coat looks good. Acting like a puppy again.

lpalos":3a5hygpr said:
Reading this post got me to itching... now my back is itchy, arms...

You have some real good advice here: Lamb/Rice food. I don't feed my dog human food...ever. His treats are also the same brand/type as his food. I don't bathe him more than 2 per month. I do have a somewhat foo-foo dog that needs to be groomed. He takes Benadryl on a regular basis (1 pill per 10lbs) but the key for me was giving him Fish Oil. One pill a day. He LOVES them, thinks they are treat... makes his breath smell like fish sticks, but it has turned his skin around! I've also given him my old hypo-allergenic pillow and will wash the pillowcases once a week along with the other rugs and stuff.... May sound over-board but he's an inside dog and I'm a stickler with a clean house.

Best of Luck!

Fish oil! That is definitely worth a try. My little avatar will now have his thyroid medicine, his claritin, and fish oil in his little piece of shaved ham in the morning.

Alice

Hi - I'm new here - actually stopped in to crosspost about needing help for Gustav evacuees...

Anyway, I know quite a bit about dog with allergies, and can help. Being a professional petsitter in the burbs, I take care of a lot of purebred dogs taht have been bred right into food allergy issues - they can be really miserable. I swear, there is one spaniel who can't even LOOK at a picture of a chicken without breaking out in a rash... This information comes from sitting through many lectures given by Lowell Ackerman, the top dermatologist at Tufts vet school, who also wrote the books the other vets use.

Here's my Itchy Dog Answer - look it over and see if there's anything that applies, and let me know if you need more - if it's a seasonal problem, it's probably a contact allergy, like pollen or grass, and if it's all the time, it's probably food. Course, it could be both...sigh...and any dog with a weak immune system can also have a bloom of dmeodectic mange - not contagious but needs treatment for that dog - and you can do it with neem oil.

but here's my old stock answer, hope some of it helps...

First. rinse him every day with tepid, not warm water.

That will remove anything that is causing a contact allergy - pollen, dust, grass ...

Make sure he has Frontline on, to ward off fleas.

Next, switch him carefully over to a 2 ingredient diet.
The top food allergens are corn, chicken,beef,soy, wheat, and dairy, but dogs can be allergic to just about anything.

Sometimes you can get away with just putting them on something like Nutro lamb & rice - you mighttry that first, just to see if it'll be that easy. Wellness has a very good line of hypoallergenic foods, and a bunch dogs have found relief with Atlantic Whitefish & Sweet potato (of course my dog is the only one in the world that is allergic to sweet potato!)...

You may have to resort to feeding a two ingredient diet - if the kibble doesn't work, pick two ingredients and feed them exclusinvely in their original form - like fish and oatmeal, say - so you actually know what the dog is eating. Jack Mackeral comes in a nice big can at the supermarket.

A couple weeks on that kind of diet won't hurt him, and if you find that is necessary too continue, you can look on www.BalanceIt.com for a recipe tool that will help you balance it for him, and Rx vitamins with no additives that will round out the diet so it's a good long term one.

Remember that any other treats - like beef bones, rawhide, or pig's ears - are the wrong food, and will cause a reaction if that's what he's allergic to, so cut those all out, and no table scraps, either. Chewable heartworm tablets are usually beef based, so you would also need the ones that aren't - there are some, I don't remember the name...

Speak to your vet about giving his some fish oil - omega 3 is a powerful anti-inflammatory, and only a food - but you must take into consideration whether your dog is susceptible to pancreatitis. Most healthy dogs are fine, but little dogs can get into trouble with smaller amounts of stuff - but it is a really good thing or dogs with any kind of skin problem, and a very easy fix.

Good luck, this is a tough problem to solve - but not impossible. But this is the way the top veterinary dermatologist in the US does it - and I have used it sucessfully on many dogs.

Latest posts