Dog's Surgery

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Taking my oldest Corgi into the vet tomorrow morning. He is scheduled for surgery for a torn ACL in his right knee. He is only 3 or 4 years old. They are going to keep him for a day or two. Hope it goes well.
This is my favorite dog. He sure loves chasing cows and it was great watching him go after a heifer that was making a break for it, getting in front of her and turning her around and running her into the corral. :D

Wow I have never heard of a dog having a torn ACL. How did he do it? Good luck and hope he has a quick recovery.

A woman who works with my mother has a German Shepherd who just turned 3 years old and he has a torn ACL. He has had it for awhile and she keeps hoping it will heal on its own and refuses to take him to the vet in fears of a large bill. I hope your Corgi heals swiftly and can go back to chasing cattle :D

It's unfortunately pretty common. I've seen quite a few dogs with it and most recover just fine after surgery. Hope yours heals up quickly and is back to working cows. ;-)

Saw him this afternoon just before I headed for home. He had gotten out of surgery at about noon, so he was still groggy, but he did know it was me and he tried to get up when he heard my voice. I sat there and rubbed his head for awhile and he went back to sleep, so I tried to sneak out, but he heard me. I hated leaving him there, but hopefully it is only for tonight.
Suppose to call the vet tomorrow and see if I can bring him home.
Was told tonight that he will have to be confined to a room away from the 2 pups because they may accidently hurt him, so our room will be this room.

How is the Corgi doing? Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

As for the friend w/ the German Shepherd - it will not heal by itself. If it's a complete tear her dog will be lame and the longer she waits the worse the outcome of the surgery and the bigger her vet bill. Waiting for athritis and permanent damage to set in before it becomes a priority to her isn't a good plan.

Plus, if the dog is prone to acl rupture and she keeps over-using her good leg, she has a high risk of rupturing that one too and then you have a dog with no good hindlimbs. Surgery and life are harder at that point.

They will heal on their own if they arent completely torn all the way. My dog, which is a black lab tore his this summer, thought he was having hip porblems as he was limping around. Did some x-rays and found out that he had partially torn it. They told me surgery was going to be 1000 dollars or we could keep him locked up for 2 months and hope it heals. Either way he wouldnt be as strong in that back leg. I told them he was going to be locked up for 2 months. I can not justify spending 1000 dollars on a dog even tho he is a great family dog and the best hunting dog i have ever had. I also talked to a vet that had the surgery done to his hunting dog and the next year the dog tore the other side. He didnt have the surgery done again and the dog is fine. My dog has made a slow recovery and is starting to barley limp anymore. Dont let them over due it or run around on it to soon. My dog tore it just a little again after a month and a half of being locked up some how. So that made it take longer to heal up.

Right now he is in his favorite spot, under my chair. :D :D
Ok picked him up on Tuesday. All he could do was "talk" to me in the room.
Found out that this was an old injury. Really surprised both myself and the Doc. He had torn the meniskus (sp?) and it was folded up on it's self. That was causing some pain , but the bone spur in there was also painful. They removed the bone spur, put bands in his knee to make up for the torn tendons and removed the meniskus.
He goes back after Christmas for the removal of the staples. They gave me a collar to keep him from bothering the staples.

Only problem he has right now is the snow drifts and the cold on his shaved leg. :D

baxter78":ky612pae said:
LoveMoo11":ky612pae said:
Wow I have never heard of a dog having a torn ACL. How did he do it? Good luck and hope he has a quick recovery.

Me either. Bullets are cheaper than surgery. He/she would be taking a dirt nap around here and getting replaced if it was here. I aint spending 3,000 or even 500 on a dog. They aint worth it in my opinion.

Lots of things happen that you haven't heard of. :lol:

And your response is almost identical top one made by your other personna in another post some time ago, might try to change your delivery regarding postings if you want to stay hidden :roll: :roll: :roll:

baxter that is you. To me this is my 3 yo Corgi who is not only the family pet but also our working cow dog.

Baxter what is the matter? Seriously.
Normally you not so mean to others and I always enjoy reading your posts and learning from you.

It did cost over $1000 to get his knee repaired, but to us it is worth it. To you it may not be, but all of us make our own choices.

baxter78":2bte94v8 said:
I luv herfrds":2bte94v8 said:
Baxter what is the matter? Seriously.
Normally you not so mean to others and I always enjoy reading your posts and learning from you.

It did cost over $1000 to get his knee repaired, but to us it is worth it. To you it may not be, but all of us make our own choices.

Not feeling well today. Have a sinus infection and I am a little more apt to bite at people today. Especially since people seem to want to harrass me on here for no apparent reason and have now joined the idiot list.

Even that is an improvment from you usual self!
:banana: :banana:

Took him in Monday and got the staples removed. Everything feels good, so the Doc told me. He still cannot chase cows, cats, cars or even do his most favorite thing, tug of war with his rope. :cry2:
May not even be able to do the corgi race at the Corgi's Gone Wild picnic this summer. :(
He really didn't bother his staples, just licked them. Tried the "cone" they sent home with us, but found out that he couldn't eat or drink with it on, it just pushed his dishes away from him.
Poor guy was outside today and was coming back in and we didn't see the ice patch and he about fell over when he slipped on it.

Latest posts