Dogs and the people who name them.

Help Support CattleToday:

Dogs I've had a Corgi named Dandy,bach. German Shepard...Tessa. Golden lab..Sandy-sinders. Black lab.Tessa
cats...A tabby called Sooty, my Daughters idea of a joke....Black cat Percy parot...long haired black...Jake the pake....and now Black short hair Molly Malone. and rabbit named after a good drink....Baileys.
most of the time not sure why but it seems to be me that names the animals we have.

Santas and Duhram Reds":2rwbzadh said:
I don't know much about Dachshunds but if they are of German decent I would probably name one Wilhelm or Kaiser. Something like that. Maybe Hun or Atilla
Yaers ago we had one named Fritz

Kingfisher":mzy4smy5 said:
How do you name your new dogs? I'm getting a replacement Dachsund tonight and always wrestle with naming them it sure seems.....
What's your favorite dog name ? Have you got any traditions on how your animals are named and who gets to name them? Thanks in advance.

Every dog I have had, the name just comes to me. My Newfoundland is called Turbo, but I just call him cuddle bear which fits him more, because just looking at him you can see he is a cuddle bear :heart: :heart: My other 2 dogs, one is a beagle his name is Charger that fits, but then again I call him Cha cha, which everyone says I'm damaging him, by calling him that-ha ha. Then there is the old timer, his name is Max but I mostly call him old timer now as he is pushing 16 years old. Other dogs I had one was a German Shepherd his name was Duke, his registered name was Fur immer meine Freund-German for forever my friend, I also had a registered Pyringes, his name was BOSS, his registered name was Big Ole Super Slimer (BOSS) get it?-now that name fit him too. If you wait a bit and get to know them, a name will surely hit you square in the face.

GMN

pdfangus":31skhph0 said:
Quite a few years ago my wifes self appointed protector who happened to be an australian shepherd named Montana Crystal passed away. My wife was distraught. I called a friend who was a breeder and told her that I needed a puppy quick. she said I have a friend with a litter and they have one left.

after i burried Tana I loaded the wife in the truck and did not tell her anything until we drove the hundred miles and rolled up into the yard.

She immediatley picked up the pup and it was love at first sight for both.

I was nearly overcome with emotion a few minutes later when I had to write the check.

On the way home the puppy went to sleep in the wifes lap and she is talking about how she can not replace Tana......Bla bla bla. love her just as much bla bla bla..... alternately crying over Tana and Hugging the new pup.

she is all emotional and I am now broke and wondering if I had enough gas to get home.....

Finally I said that I am glad you are a bit happier and I knew I had to get you something to try to fill the void in your life but she sure cost more than Tana.

The wife immediately fires back with "But she is Worth It." At that time Cybil Shepherd was doing commercials for Loreal and winking at me thru the TV and telling me that it cost more but she is worth it.

right then and there I declared that the new pups name would be Loreal. we called her Lore.

Little Lore was the best natural cow dog I ever saw. She was born knowing more about working cows than I have learned in my whole life.

We lost Loreal a couple of years ago now. She died sleeping at the foot of the bed near my wife.

That sure was nice of you.

Best dog I ever had her name was Lacey----she had black lines laced on her face and she liked to chew shoe laces as a puppy. Had another named Bowser. Had a Golden Retriever mix named Primo because he was our #1 choice, a Cavalier named Honey (she was such a little love) a Pug named Sally Bananas because she reminded us of Sally from the Peanuts comics. Currently have Barney because he is a combination of Barney the dinosaur, Barney Fife, Barney Hefner(Archie Bunker's neighbor and bowling buddy)and Barney Rubble. Also have a Pyrenees named Taz she came with that name, I call her Razzle Tazzle.

Spend enough time with them and a name comes.

Katherine

Hawk":2jjvl8gp said:
I have a friend down in Chambers County that always has a dog named Dan. When one Dan dies, his replacement will also be a Dan. He does it so he can remember their name.

Hawk,

That reminds me of my granddad. He had two names for every dog he ever had. Spot and Bob. Spot was any dog that did not have a bobbed tail and of course Bob was any dog that did. He had solid color dogs named Spot and spotted dogs named Spot. He was a big fan of Fiests and even the solid fawn colored dogs got the Spot moniker.

I think I'm going to name him" Milo." With the vigor he has it might be Tiger. His picture is over on Ranchers........

Dobie was the meanest, most hard headed dog I have ever seen.
Duke was a very regal Doberman.
Nero was a Doberman that was one of the most friendly dogs you could find.
I don't want any more Dobermans.

We had a colored veterinarian that had a Dane X Boxer that was a great dog. He was black and his name was Howard. I admired that dog. When you saw them drive up it looked like two black men sitting up in that truck.

I later got a puppy that was Weimaraner X Boxer cross. He was black and I named him Howard and hoped he would turn out to be as good as the vet's dog. He did!!
I would give a lot to have another dog like him. But I'm afraid that was one of those once in a lifetime things. I know some may think I am crazy,and I have never denied it, but I look forward to seeing that dog again in heaven.

Ryder":dad9e550 said:
Dobie was the meanest, most hard headed dog I have ever seen.
Duke was a very regal Doberman.
Nero was a Doberman that was one of the most friendly dogs you could find.
I don't want any more Dobermans.

We had a colored veterinarian that had a Dane X Boxer that was a great dog. He was black and his name was Howard. I admired that dog. When you saw them drive up it looked like two black men sitting up in that truck.

I later got a puppy that was Weimaraner X Boxer cross. He was black and I named him Howard and hoped he would turn out to be as good as the vet's dog. He did!!
I would give a lot to have another dog like him. But I'm afraid that was one of those once in a lifetime things. I know some may think I am crazy,and I have never denied it, but I look forward to seeing that dog again in heaven.

You are not crazy, or else I'm crazy too, because I know exactly what you mean. For me, that dog is Rose, the greatest Great Dane ever. 150 pounds of love and fun!!

Dogs.... Dobermans - had a female we named Lady and that she was. Had a male named Duke .. high strung as the name inplies - lol
Pyranees/Anatolian cross ... male - Gizmo .. due to the cross I guess, it just seemed to "fit" his mate we names Sheba. A daughter we kept named Misty" as it was misting the day she was born.

Cats... lots of cats. Rat Patrol - lol.
We have Bear cat --- scared of nothing and her son baby bear. Tater - loves to sleep in the tator sack. Spud his son. WC - wild cat - but she tamed up nicely... good momma. KC.. named after hubby as she is just like him ..heheheh. Of course, hubby didn't think it funny, but Loves her the same. They take naps together. We had a Siamese named Samantha and called her Sammy - really miss her. She was different.
Patch, has only one eye but awesome mouser and momma. Dixie - tortoise calico - amazing mouser and gopher killer. Fluffy - hillarious cat. Very fluffy orange female, I'll never forget the day she was chasing a young rabbit. They slid sidways around the corner of the barn with cat in Hot pursuit. Pretty soon, Fluffy came walking back, head down and tail between her legs. I laugh so hard I cried. You know exactly what had happened and how she felt it.

COws. Sure nice to know the vets are wrong - we are not the only ones that name everything on the farm.

Our animals have given us great joy.
Valerie

Latest posts