Dogs and Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for clarifying. It's all good.
If I remember correctly you are in Arkansas? My wife is from Le Flore County Oklahoma not far from Ft. Smith, AR. She says people here don't have have that sarcastic sense of humor that they have back where she is from and she misses that.
I'm in Arkansas, very near the Le Flore and McCurtain County Oklahoma border.

Several years ago I was disking a tobacco patch one afternoon and we had this female dog at the time that always tagged along....she was just milling around the patch while i was disking when all of a sudden i saw this coyote on one end of the field ....start running toward my dog in a dead run ......when she seen it, she started running from it. i thought to myself.....this is going to be bad...nothing i could do but watch what happens. The coyote finally caught up to it then suddenly everything diffused....they just sniffed each other and that was it. i just figured the coyote must have been a male.
A man gets to see a lot out on a tractor doesn't he?

I was disking one time and a coyote was hunting mice in the same field. He didn't pay a lick of attention to me, they never do to equipment, and we got pretty close. I slipped the old open station 1066 in neutral and left the throttle up when we got real close and his back was turned and took off at a dead run for him. By the time he noticed me I was nearly within kicking range, the look on his face was priceless! He thought he had the devil on his ass the way he tucked that tail and ran! That's a real good time for an old farm boy, I laughed about it the rest of the day.

Also, coyotes love spray marker foam. A guy at the fertilizer plant told me about it, and I got to see it one day. They roll in foam piles like there's no tomorrow, and follow the trail down the field, rolling all the way. It must stink good to them.

I lost a pair of good hound pups a few years back to yotes, almost lost my ole companion beagle, snoop, when one got after him while feeding cows. They are thick here also, but if I have good light, they don't get away.

Breeding female wolf, I think is what he's saying is protected.
Let's have some more coffee.
Yes, the female wolf. Coyotes are trapped, snared, shot on sight, shot from the road, shot while on the road. Any coyote can and will be killed. Males, females, pups.
Dam wolves have the government and the greenies on their side.

Not hardly a night goes by that they don't wake my wife up howling, from around a pond just below our house.
I actual like coyotes...but if they were keeping me and my wife up at night and bothering my dogs.... I would put out a nice fresh bucket of water with antifreeze tasty drink (versus pond water) at the backside of that pond first. Then a few nice-sized 1lb hamburger balls saturated in antifreeze secondly. All it takes is one drink or one eat...they won't walk far from it before they collapse. One dead coyote will keep others at bay. Be responsibly and do the right thing...sometimes the right thing is sending out a death danger signal to them.

I actual like coyotes...but if they were keeping me and my wife up at night and bothering my dogs.... I would put out a nice fresh bucket of water with antifreeze tasty drink (versus pond water) at the backside of that pond first. Then a few nice-sized 1lb hamburger balls saturated in antifreeze secondly. All it takes is one drink or one eat...they won't walk far from it before they collapse. One dead coyote will keep others at bay. Be responsibly and do the right thing...sometimes the right thing is sending out a death danger signal to them.
People used to do that here, some still may. Most are afraid of their own dogs or a neighbors dog of getting in it.
We are going to try to thin some out.

A man gets to see a lot out on a tractor doesn't he?

I was disking one time and a coyote was hunting mice in the same field. He didn't pay a lick of attention to me, they never do to equipment, and we got pretty close.
Alligators are the same way in my pond. I can drive by in my truck or tractor and they never move. But, if I'm on the 4 wheeler, it's 'goodbye, see ya while ago'. They learned to associate the 4 wheeler with me.

We just thought it was interesting I guess we are just easily amused simple people.
There are quite a few here, also. I've often tried to gauge the level of agitation of my border collie when they're howling. Last year, she went nuts. It was a Saturday morning. I didn't think much of it until two of my cats disappeared.

I started target practice and keep my handgun handy now. I don't blame you for trying to find answers. They're pests but still fascinating.

Yes coyotes (and wolves) will lure out dogs to kill them. Female coyotes in heat will attract male dogs that will then be jumped by the pack and killed. I imagine it would work the same way with male coyotes talking to the bitch in heat and then the pack females jumping and killing her. This is factual and has been documented by naturalists..

1080 (sodium fluoroacetate) is used for baiting dingo's and wild dogs and pigs over here. Not a nice poison, no real antidote or treatment for it so if your dog gets hold of a bait it is history. Mostly put out in remote locations though.

Ken

1080 (sodium fluoroacetate) is used for baiting dingo's and wild dogs and pigs over here. Not a nice poison, no real antidote or treatment for it so if your dog gets hold of a bait it is history. Mostly put out in remote locations though.

Ken
When my son had his "working holiday" with a cattle station in the outback, he had an unusual job one day. It was the "poison the dingos" day. My recollection of the story is that they kill a cow and cut it into chunks. The government man comes and injects each chunk with poison. They load the poison chunks into a plane with the door removed. His job was to toss the chunks out of the plane. (May have been a helicopter, but I think it was a plane. They used helicopters to drive cattle out of the brush.) Apparently there are too many dingos there and this is a normal control measure. In the pictures, they just looked similar to what we would call a red heeler.

1080 works pretty good. It was outlawed here back in the 70's. I have thought about biological warfare with the wolves. There should be a way to infect the area with parvo. Dead wolf that died of natural causes.

That's a first, most people that know me in real life think I'm too quiet.
I reckon because I don't hear much of anything except tinnitus, I use this forum as a ways of talking to people.
Maybe this topic is stupid if so try to forget that I posted it. At least it wasn't political.
Yer doin' just fine KY, don't ever cowdown or bark like a coyote tho

When my son had his "working holiday" with a cattle station in the outback, he had an unusual job one day. It was the "poison the dingos" day. My recollection of the story is that they kill a cow and cut it into chunks. The government man comes and injects each chunk with poison. They load the poison chunks into a plane with the door removed. His job was to toss the chunks out of the plane. (May have been a helicopter, but I think it was a plane. They used helicopters to drive cattle out of the brush.) Apparently there are too many dingos there and this is a normal control measure. In the pictures, they just looked similar to what we would call a red heeler.
Your son must have had a great working holiday here Simme, would have been a great experience, not many Australian kids choose to have an outback adventure like that. It could have been either plane or chopper. Our local council organizes a bait day like that but mostly in the sheep country on the western side of town. Most local landholders will put it out themselves but choppers will be used in the more inaccessible country especially on the edge of national parks, usually not allowed to bait in the nat parks which is a bit crazy as it acts as a resevoir for the dogs to breed up.

Ken

Latest posts