Dogs and Coyotes

Help Support CattleToday:

Ky hills

Reaction score
I've mentioned before on here that coyote are thick around here. Not uncommon to see one out at random times, often around dark or after dark there will be 2 or more. Not hardly a night goes by that they don't wake my wife up howling, from around a pond just below our house. We have a female Blue Heeler that stays in the house most of the time. She has a variety of barks, that usually we think we understand what they represent. She sounds very loud and aggressive and growly when someone comes by, If she know them or senses they aren't a threat she simmers down pretty soon. If she wants to go out or wants something she has a high pitched sharp annoying bark. Then what I call her alarm bark, when she hears coyotes or some strange noise that startles her. Last night, coyotes were close by the house and woke my wife, Our outside dogs barked at them, and the female dog inside joined in after a bit. The female dog has been in heat for about 2 weeks, and we have been real careful about letting her out if we aren't out with her especially at night. I am real hard of hearing and my wife told me that at one point the female and one of the outside dogs seemed to be communicating. One would let out a bark and then the other. A while later she said she heard a coyote back in the same area as earlier mimicking that communicating bark, the other dogs were quiet at that time, and the female was barking back and forth with it. Wife hollered out the window and it stopped.
One night a year or so ago, some coyotes must have somehow lured on my male dogs to them, I took a spotlight and found him. He turned and came to me when I called him and at that time I saw 2 coyotes coming towards him fast from different angles.
Wife has been talking about the coyote and dog conversation last night. We wonder if it was because the dog is in heat, or if it was trying to lure her in for an attack.

Has anyone ever told you that you talk too much.
Slow down. Take a deep breath. Live, love, and give God a chance. He is here.
That's a first, most people that know me in real life think I'm too quiet.
I reckon because I don't hear much of anything except tinnitus, I use this forum as a ways of talking to people.
Maybe this topic is stupid if so try to forget that I posted it. At least it wasn't political.

I guess I need my beauty sleep more than you do!
Trust me, sleep won't help my kind of ugly, haha. It's not just us, neighbors and friends around the area are all talking about them too. We are going to try to get rid of some coyotes.

We wonder if it was because the dog is in heat, or if it was trying to lure her in for an attack.
Probably depends on how hungry the coyotes are. If their talking to a female dog in heat, then the coyote is probably trying to get some. Any other time of year their looking for a meal or to eliminate other canines from their territory.

The first winter my grandparents spent in Az. Dad took care of grandpa's hunting dog when he fed cows. "Sparky" was an out side dog. He was never tide. He just hung around the barn yard. He didn't get a lot of attention that winter, just fed every day.
When grandpa and grandma came back in the spring Sparky would sit on the front porch at night and howl like a coyote. And they would howl back.

That's a first, most people that know me in real life think I'm too quiet.
I reckon because I don't hear much of anything except tinnitus, I use this forum as a ways of talking to people.
Maybe this topic is stupid if so try to forget that I posted it. At least it wasn't political.
I'm full of life most days, pizz and vinegar all days, and my alligator mouth often overloads my hummingbird arse.

I'm sorry. Didn't mean to offend. Sarcasm is an escape, albeit brief, for me. Sometimes it confuses others. Please accept my sincere apology.

I do read what you write. Thank you.

Ky Hills, we had a professional trapper harvest 19 one winter a few years ago. He was disappointed because over half of them were Coy-dogs therefore their pelts were of little value. My farm manager still snares a half dozen or so each winter.

I'm full of life most days, pizz and vinegar all days, and my alligator mouth often overloads my hummingbird arse.

I'm sorry. Didn't mean to offend. Sarcasm is an escape, albeit brief, for me. Sometimes it confuses others. Please accept my sincere apology.

I do read what you write. Thank you.
Thanks for clarifying. It's all good.
If I remember correctly you are in Arkansas? My wife is from Le Flore County Oklahoma not far from Ft. Smith, AR. She says people here don't have have that sarcastic sense of humor that they have back where she is from and she misses that.

Ky Hills, we had a professional trapper harvest 19 one winter a few years ago. He was disappointed because over half of them were Coy-dogs therefore their pelts were of little value. My farm manager still snares a half dozen or so each winter.
We have had skilled hunters come in several times over the years. One winter they showed me a pickup bed full of them that they had gotten in the area. I would guess that there are some of those coy dogs here as some are quite large and one that I saw a couple years ago looked odd for a coyote.

Coyote problem is simply solved. Coyote is most likely interested in eating dog.
This time of year they have half grown puppies to feed. There behavior change dramatically feeding those puppies.
Get you an electronic call and rabbit won't take long to relocate them.

I've mentioned before on here that coyote are thick around here. Not uncommon to see one out at random times, often around dark or after dark there will be 2 or more. Not hardly a night goes by that they don't wake my wife up howling, from around a pond just below our house. We have a female Blue Heeler that stays in the house most of the time. She has a variety of barks, that usually we think we understand what they represent. She sounds very loud and aggressive and growly when someone comes by, If she know them or senses they aren't a threat she simmers down pretty soon. If she wants to go out or wants something she has a high pitched sharp annoying bark. Then what I call her alarm bark, when she hears coyotes or some strange noise that startles her. Last night, coyotes were close by the house and woke my wife, Our outside dogs barked at them, and the female dog inside joined in after a bit. The female dog has been in heat for about 2 weeks, and we have been real careful about letting her out if we aren't out with her especially at night. I am real hard of hearing and my wife told me that at one point the female and one of the outside dogs seemed to be communicating. One would let out a bark and then the other. A while later she said she heard a coyote back in the same area as earlier mimicking that communicating bark, the other dogs were quiet at that time, and the female was barking back and forth with it. Wife hollered out the window and it stopped.
One night a year or so ago, some coyotes must have somehow lured on my male dogs to them, I took a spotlight and found him. He turned and came to me when I called him and at that time I saw 2 coyotes coming towards him fast from different angles.
Wife has been talking about the coyote and dog conversation last night. We wonder if it was because the dog is in heat, or if it was trying to lure her in for an attack.
Several years ago I was disking a tobacco patch one afternoon and we had this female dog at the time that always tagged along....she was just milling around the patch while i was disking when all of a sudden i saw this coyote on one end of the field ....start running toward my dog in a dead run ......when she seen it, she started running from it. i thought to myself.....this is going to be bad...nothing i could do but watch what happens. The coyote finally caught up to it then suddenly everything diffused....they just sniffed each other and that was it. i just figured the coyote must have been a male.

Every couple of years they fly our valley. In about a 15,000 acre area they will shoot 50-70 coyotes in a couple hours. Always seems to be plenty left. Must be a lot of mice and voles to support them. Not many rabbits around. I don't think they dig up pocket gophers, but the badgers might. Haven't lost any calves to them even though I have seen them in the cows at calving time. They are looking for calf milk craps and any afterbirth a cow doesn't eat.

Coyotes aren't an issue here. Several good trappers work the area and everyone packs long shooting rifles in their pickups. That keeps the population in check. But there is a pack of wolves just the other side of the freeway that have completely given up on hunting elk. They have learned to prefer beef. They have been killing a calf every day or two. The game dept has shot a couple of them. But the powers to be wont allow them to kill the breeding female. Which means they will just keep up the killing unless she moves out of the area or has an accident.

Coyotes aren't an issue here. Several good trappers work the area and everyone packs long shooting rifles in their pickups. That keeps the population in check. But there is a pack of wolves just the other side of the freeway that have completely given up on hunting elk. They have learned to prefer beef. They have been killing a calf every day or two. The game dept has shot a couple of them. But the powers to be wont allow them to kill the breeding female. Which means they will just keep up the killing unless she moves out of the area or has an accident.
Female Coyotes are protected in your area?

Latest posts