Dogs and Calving

Help Support CattleToday:

HerefordSire

Reaction score
Be careful...

Farmers issue warning after fatal cow attacks

LONDON (Reuters) – The deaths of no fewer than four people after being trampled by cows in the past two months has prompted Britain's main farming union to issue a warning about the dangers of provoking the normally docile animals.

Cows can become aggressive and charge, especially when calves are present and walkers are accompanied by dogs, said the National Farmers Union (NFU).

The union and the Ramblers' Association both advise that walkers release dogs from their leads when passing through a field of cows.

"The cattle are interested in the dog, not the walker," said Robert Sheasby, Rural Surveyor at the NFU.

"As the cattle try to get the dog, there's a high chance they will get the walker too."

Britain has 7.5 million cows but in the past eight years there have only been 18 deaths involving cattle, including bulls whose dangers are well-known.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090825/od_ ... itain_cows

That "rambling" thing is interesting. Apparently Britain has law which lets folk go walking through the farmlands. I think the origins go back centuries. So, imagine folks from town just strolling along the path which runs through your pasture. Some are going to bring their dogs and the cows are sure going to go after the dogs, as we all know.

I was positively terrified last year when I looked out my kitchen window to see a handful of guys walking through my pasture during calving season.
They were contracted by power co. to treat poles, so they were just doing their job, but I had visions of one of my LH mama's trudging up to the gate with a day laborer dangling from her horns.

When we were in the UK we went to a so called "national park" which was actually grazing country. The marked walking trails went through fields that contained some very angsty cows. I was suprised as the national parks here in Australia are paranoid about litigation. Obviously not there.

Andrew

townfarmer":1vmkplsf said:
When we were in the UK we went to a so called "national park" which was actually grazing country. The marked walking trails went through fields that contained some very angsty cows. I was suprised as the national parks here in Australia are paranoid about litigation. Obviously not there.

Andrew

I have called cows a lot of things, not all of them flattering. I've never called them angsty.
Care to relate what that means to you?

I remember there used to be a car called a Rambler. Haven't seen one in forever. Must've all rusted away.

Sorry by "angsty" I mean aggitated and unhappy. They were head shaking, snorting at us, pawing the ground and giving us the evil eye making it clear that they weren't particularly happy that we were strolling through their turf. They kind of had you nervous not knowing if they wanted to take things further. We certainly kept an eye on them.

townfarmer":2u7atimb said:
Sorry by "angsty" I mean aggitated and unhappy. They were head shaking, snorting at us, pawing the ground and giving us the evil eye making it clear that they weren't particularly happy that we were strolling through their turf. They kind of had you nervous not knowing if they wanted to take things further. We certainly kept an eye on them.

Cows don't like strangers. I can see some ugly outcomes when people go rambling through cow pastures.
You're lucky you had some basic experience with cattle.

john250":2utfohpg said:
ga. prime":2utfohpg said:
I remember there used to be a car called a Rambler. Haven't seen one in forever. Must've all rusted away.

A guy at my high school had a Nash Rambler Metropolitan. Kind of the mini-Cooper of its day.

Ramblers didn't even qualify for a clunker. The last job the guy had in the auto business was designing the Rambler. The Pinto would be the next worst design.

I can see some ugly outcomes when people go rambling through cow pastures

Especially when those people are young dumb male tourists who have been drinking and want to impress their girlfriends. There are plenty of clips on youtube of such people getting charged by an unhappy cow.

townfarmer":24d4cdq9 said:
I can see some ugly outcomes when people go rambling through cow pastures

Especially when those people are young dumb male tourists who have been drinking and want to impress their girlfriends. There are plenty of clips on youtube of such people getting charged by an unhappy cow.

That's trouble, wherever it happens. Those guys could find trouble at the Vatican.

The Rambler was too far ahead of it's time-Do you remember the izeta--I think that's what it was-3 wheels and the front opened.

Yep,Izeta-made by BMW!!

Latest posts