Dogie calf won't take milk

Help Support CattleToday:

dgustafson

Reaction score
I have a 2 to 3 month old dogie calf I got from a friend. I have had dogie's before, but never have I had one not take a bottle. They started her out by drinking out of the bucket. This worked fine for a while, but now she refuses to drink milk. She will drink water just fine. I also started her on grain and calf-manna, then I got her some calf startena. She seems to eat what I give her, but she looks like hell!!! I am ashamed of how she looks. Very thin. I am also worried she will die. I talked to my vet and he said as long as she is eating the grain and calf-manna she will be ok. But she needs something to pep her up and give her some energy and life. Any suggestions and comments will be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

Startena, fresh water, good hay, good grass, and some vacinations and she should be fine.

I wouldn't vaccinate her until she's going good. Vaccinating only stresses their immune system and she doesn't need that now.

2-3 months old is plenty old enough for a bottle calf to be weaned. Your vet is right, just give her plenty of good hay, grain, maybe some calf manna (I don't know as I'd bother), and she'll come around. It will take a lot of time - keep that in mind! Be careful not to overdo the feed at first; a calf in poor condition could well be killed by getting too rich of feed -- go slowly with increasing grain.

As far as vitamins and minerals go (that's different from vaccinations), I'd use Vitamin B complex (for appetite, among other things), A and D, and either Vitamin E + Selenium (brand name Bo-Se), or A/D/E together, and then selenium in something like Multimin (selenium, copper, zinc, magnesium). Worming is OK - generic Ivermectin will do the job. If you want a brand name look for Ivomec or Ivomec Plus.

How much Startena are you giving her a day? What about hay? In addition to the feed, she needs a good, loose mineral that is formulated for your area available at all times. Talk to your vet, and the people at the feedstore about the mineral - and don't be afraid to ask questions if you don't understand. Good luck with your calf!

I appreciate everyones comments and suggestions, but unfortunately I lost the calf last night. I am really disappointed that I lost her. I think she may have had purple gut or some other intestinal disease.