Dog vs. Beaver

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
First time our Lab/Greyhound mix hasn't walked away from a fight and subsequent kill unscathed. He's killed beavers and a lot of coyotes over the years but he's almost 10 now and this female nailed him to the tune of 9 staples (and a ton of antibiotics). Vet says to try & keep him calm for 2 weeks so the staples won't come out. Ummm, yeah, wish us luck with that!

Wow... glad he is OK!! My old Yellow Lab once tangled with a Boar Coon that was penned up in the pool room. Let's just say she was smart enough to not tangle with coons anymore! That coon whup up on that dog so bad and chased her clear across the back yard! Several stitches later and some antibiotics and she was OK!

On otter? Wow, had no idea they were that vicious or big. This female beaver was probably 50-55 lbs. Obie will snap a coon's neck like it's nothing, he shook a coyote like a rag doll and we once watched him try to drown a 'yote before my husband finally killed it with a mercy shot. He was dumped on our ranch when he was probably 10-11 weeks old (vets best guess) and had a snake bite on his nose so he's always been a fighter but unbelievably gentle around kids.

BTW I just found another wound under his ear so he'll be going back for more staples tomorrow.

TN Cattle Man":9agcehxg said:
Wow... glad he is OK!! My old Yellow Lab once tangled with a Boar Coon that was penned up in the pool room. Let's just say she was smart enough to not tangle with coons anymore! That coon whup up on that dog so bad and chased her clear across the back yard! Several stitches later and some antibiotics and she was OK!

What's the difference between a Boar Coon and just a nasty ol' coon? Hate them, they are so destructive!

TCRanch":1bd434cu said:
TN Cattle Man":1bd434cu said:

What's the difference between a Boar Coon and just a nasty ol' coon? Hate them, they are so destructive!

Boar coon are about half as bad a sow coon

TCRanch":3k3eh1db said:
First time our Lab/Greyhound mix hasn't walked away from a fight and subsequent kill unscathed. He's killed beavers
and a lot of coyotes over the years but he's almost 10 now and this female nailed him to the tune of 9 staples
(and a ton of antibiotics). Vet says to try & keep him calm for 2 weeks so the staples won't come out.
Ummm, yeah, wish us luck with that!
Awww... but I like :heart: Beavers

Farm Fence Solutions":lpkct4lf said:
Hopefully your hound heals up quickly! Me and my trapping buddy like to wipe out as many of them as we can.

That is awesome. There is a guy that comes out every year to trap and he's got some dandys but I don't know if he sells them or tans the pelts himself.

Son of Butch":16q6sp13 said:
TCRanch":16q6sp13 said:
First time our Lab/Greyhound mix hasn't walked away from a fight and subsequent kill unscathed. He's killed beavers
and a lot of coyotes over the years but he's almost 10 now and this female nailed him to the tune of 9 staples
(and a ton of antibiotics). Vet says to try & keep him calm for 2 weeks so the staples won't come out.
Ummm, yeah, wish us luck with that!
Awww... but I like :heart: Beavers
:hide:

You're lucky. Lots of beavers will arch their neck, spring forward, go for the throat and then the fight is over. Their teeth are basically razor knives.

Beavers and Coons are tame fighters compared to a Badger. Let a hound get ahold of a badger and he will come out on the bad side every time.

BRYANT":1tygd4qb said:
Beavers and Coons are tame fighters compared to a Badger. Let a hound get ahold of a badger and he will come out on the bad side every time.
I actually had my very first ACD tangle with one. Man they caused a ruckus! The badger lived...until my dad got my dog clear, then the old devil came down with a mysterious case of lead poisoning. My dog had all the flesh stripped off a front leg from knee to paw, still had the tendons intact luckily. He had several other minor lacerations, but the leg was bad. We didn't even put him through a trip to the vet. He would live, or he wouldn't. Dog laid in the house in a full coma for 5 days. Within two weeks was back to going outside and in a month was back to work with no residual issues. All he received was aspirin to mitigate the pain he surely felt. He was a tough old guy and every dog I keep to this day goes back to him.

Boot Jack Bulls":16xwqkgj said:
BRYANT":16xwqkgj said:
I actually had my very first ACD tangle with one. Man they caused a ruckus! The badger lived...until my dad got my dog clear, then the old devil came down with a mysterious case of lead poisoning. My dog had all the flesh stripped off a front leg from knee to paw, still had the tendons intact luckily. He had several other minor lacerations, but the leg was bad. We didn't even put him through a trip to the vet. He would live, or he wouldn't. Dog laid in the house in a full coma for 5 days. Within two weeks was back to going outside and in a month was back to work with no residual issues. All he received was aspirin to mitigate the pain he surely felt. He was a tough old guy and every dog I keep to this day goes back to him.

Wow! That is one amazing dog! Sure am glad we don't have badgers around here. That I know of!

TC-I'm betting you have badgers. They're rarely seen during the day. You have holes the size of a dinner plate in an alfalfa field? Probably a badger. Nasty creature with a bad attitude 100% of the time.

I seen a hound tore up so bad you could see her heart pump. this was about 45 years ago and I was about 8 yrs. old. I remember they stitched her up and she was good to go in a few weeks a year or so after that she tried her luck on another badger but Grand pa was able to get her off before she got hurt. She was a coon treeing machine if you could put up with her trash mostly badgers and skunks. she would stop in the middle of a hot coon race to kill a skunk then go right on and tree the coon, Grand pa always said it was like a drug for her.

Chocolate Cow":27bzkma4 said:
TC-I'm betting you have badgers. They're rarely seen during the day. You have holes the size of a dinner plate in an alfalfa field? Probably a badger. Nasty creature with a bad attitude 100% of the time.

I know we have marmots in the alfalfa and armadillos are the bane of my existence (even destroying the yard at the house). We're getting ready to tear up the alfalfa & re-plant with bermuda; I'll have to check out the holes.

Latest posts