Dog trying to kill calf

Help Support CattleToday:

newrancher

Reaction score
I 'm eating breakfast yesterday and me and the better half hear dogs barking and she goes outside and runs back in telling me they have a calf down. She runs back out and staryts yelling at the dog while I'm grabbing the shotgun, the dog takes off when I get there [neighbor's dog, neighbors calf] and I give him a dose of birdshot. I wanted to give him 00buck buy the wifes reasonig was above.The cow had twins and he had the calf by the throat so there was no doubt what he was doing. Anyway, told the neighbor's son what happened, and he says that he has caught him doing this before and that he is getting rid of him. Itold him that there would be no doubt what I will do next time and he agreed. If it was my dog I would have killed the SOB then and there. Why do people put up withthis?

Dog? What dog? No, I haven't seen your dog.

Just make sure that fresh mound of dirt has been leveled off. I don't put up with it.

grannysoo":1qjcb0i2 said:

Just make sure that fresh mound of dirt has been leveled off. I don't put up with it.

:clap: :clap: :clap: thats what i thought.
ive shot dogs on my property before and it was the neigbors dog and MY show steer. he yelled at my mom and i the that dog cost him $4,000 and mom said "well, it took us 50 cent to get rid of him." :lol2:

Well,like I said it was his dog, his calf and on his property. If my dog had done something like this an he told me, I would have taken care of it right then. I think if I ever see the dog again I won't ever see the dog again, but at least I gave him the chance to do something about it.

I won't put up with it...sometimes just getting in with them is enough. If they aren't bothering them, I'll give it one warning. After that SSS.

Exactly... What dog???

Now I love my dog, don't get me wrong but I had a deer hound on one of our calfs about 2 years ago. I jumped 2 fences to get to him... He never ran off so I put steel toe into his ribcage as hard has I could. Found him dead about 2 weeks later... He had a collar on so I called the owner told him the situation and he said, he would have done the same thing.

grand chaser09":1r0efw7e said:
grannysoo":1r0efw7e said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: thats what i thought.
ive shot dogs on my property before and it was the neigbors dog and MY show steer. he yelled at my mom and i the that dog cost him $4,000 and mom said "well, it took us 50 cent to get rid of him." :lol2:
Score one for Mom.

If it was my calf the dog would be removed right away, but since it is their calf and their dog you did the only thing you legally could and more than some people ever would..You must be a great neighbor to have. :)

Just curious you talked to the son but does the dad know that the dog is doing this to the calves. Maybe he doesn't if he did the dog would have been gone a long time ago..

We caught are youngest dog chasing calves ,and not just playing but chasing them hard and almost putting one through a barbwire fence, she got the beating of her life and that is her last chance; if she does it again she will be gone.

I have had to put down my own dog before for this reason,and I wouldn't think twice about the neighbors dog.

Cal

Calman":1s79365h said:
I have had to put down my own dog before for this reason,and I wouldn't think twice about the neighbors dog.

Cal

It wasn't his cattle or calf though. If you saw your neighbors dog chasing or bothering their cattle would get get your gun and shoot it ?

hillsdown":2wylqjb4 said:
Calman":2wylqjb4 said:

Cal

It wasn't his cattle or calf though. If you saw your neighbors dog chasing or bothering their cattle would get get your gun and shoot it ?

Nope, figure that would be the neighbors problem,but I'd prolly go ahead and kill it if it came on my place knowing what it was doing.

Cal

Cattlehand, The last I saw the calf was sucking and doing fine. HD thanks for the compliment, I do try to be a good neighbor. Iknow Iwouldn't want my dogs shot for just going across a field and a bunch of skittish cattle freaking out, I've had dogs cross my field and my cattle get after them and they bark or retaliate. It's just not the same thing as having one by the throat or running it through a fence.

Latest posts