dog nuts

Help Support CattleToday:

Howdyjabo

Reaction score
I have a yard dog that the kids and hubby want to keep--
I agreed on the condition that it got cut.

My old vet died-- and all the new ones around here are just ridiculous-- even if I had the kind of money they want I wouldn't give it to them anyhow--- just out of principle.

Not only do they want $90 for cutting they want to charge me an extra $60 to give shots that I don't need or have already given(and know full well the shots only cost $10).

I keep looking at the dog as it walks away. Hes got a beautiful set of nuts hanging real low.
Why can't I just band them??????

I figure there must be a reason or lots of dogs in the country would have been banded and I have never heard of anyone doing it.

I have heard that cutting them unsedated can get messy as they can retract their nuts.

I have one better than that. I had a male dog when my oldest was a baby and when we got him fixed, the vet did a doggie vasectomy on him. He still had his nuts, just like a man would if he got fixed. My dad's vet thought this very comical.

Call around. I know around here, vets in the same town charge vastly different rates for the same procedures. There is usually a low cost spay/neuter clinic around that will do the job for, I don't know, around here 40 - 60 bucks depending on how big the dog is. Some places will be cheaper than that I am sure.

I don't know about banding him. I think the difference between banding a calf and a dog is that a dog can still reach his nuts and he will probably worry himself to death chasing his tail and chewing/scratching the site. Probably end up with a nasty infection. Unless you have one of those collars they put on dogs to keep them from doing that.

Call around and see who is cheaper. You can probably get a better deal. Just say that you don't want the bells and whistles, just cut him, thanks.

Howdyjabo said:
I keep looking at the dog as it walks away. Hes got a beautiful set of nuts hanging real low.

I have to tell you that I get a really good mental picture of that! :shock:

A dog will chew it's on nuts off if you put a band on them,And it aint a pretty sight. Plus you will feel sorry for him and try to get the band off and he will bite your hand off as you're trying to help him. TRUST ME! enough said. If he aint mean or ill why would you want to have him fixed?

Okkkkkkkkkkkkkk...

I would advise against castrating any dog or cat yourself. If you live in a "city" or "designer community"...take a drive to a rural area and see a country Vet.

Other hand, call your local Animal Shelter, ASPCA, or similar agency...I think most will either do or have referrals to "Low Cost Spay/Neuter Clinics". A Neuter job on male dog shouldn't cost more than $20 to $30 ... if you stay away from those "upscale" Vets that specialize in Designer Poodles and related yard (or house) ornaments. :)

His nuts gotta go--with him--- or without.
I learned my lesson with the last dog for the kids :)

I have Border Collies for work--- and several of them are bitches.
When they come into heat having an extra male around that the kids turn out when they feel like it-- led to some nasty dog fights and ALOT of aggravation for me.
Plus the little mutt would disappear for days if a bitch came into heat in the neighborhood-and come home all tore up-- the kids couldn't understand watching him like a hawk to keep him home during those spells.

I am a big believer in if they ain;t gonna be used constructively they need to get gone
Wonder why Hubby is so goosey :)

You are right..... the dog sure would have more access to that area than a calf,pig or goat would .
Knew there had to be a reason just didn't occur to me what it was.

Oscar===Sorry you and your dog had to find out the hard way :)

I AM in the country--- and I called 3 different local vets and got the same cost. Calling Humane Society is a GREAT idea. I'm sure they would have a list of who does it cheap and gladly give it out. THANKS

They have to go before the habit sets in. We had our old dog fixed after he bit me bad but he was old enough that the habit sets in. Now he tried to breed with every bitch in heat that comes through the yard (with limited success of coarse). It is from that we leaned that you need to spay your bitch if you don't want puppies. Even though the old dog kept away all the other dogs our neighbours border collie (now ours) manged to get bred and had eight puppies in our barn. After that we ended up officially adopting her (she practically lived with us already) and had her spayed when the pups were weened.

~

If you live near a vet school or vet tech college they will also neuter/spay your pets for a greatly reduced rate.

They need lots of pets to practice simple surgery on.

The rates are so low at these vet schools that many folks from way up here drive to Tufts in Massachusetts.

Some Humane Societies have their own clinics at their shelters OR will get you in to the vet THEY use at their discounted prices if you promise to volunteer for a few hours and walk dogs. Such a deal.

The news thru the grapevine is soon neutering will be done like a vaccination. Similar to what they use on the mustangs & the Chincoteaque Ponies ( the Maryland ones, not the Virginia ones. )

Seen a cat cut once. Put it down in a rubber boot and work quickly. Cat turned out great. I cut a rooster once. Its more of a surgery. Rooster died after about a week. Probally infection. I guess you could cut a dog, just restrain it well.

oscar p":wfhp2tp3 said:
If he aint mean or ill why would you want to have him fixed?

Can you say "puppies coming out your ears, and subsequently trying to find them homes?" Did the IQ on this board just suddenly drop or what? :shock: :roll: :roll:

man, am i disappointed. i thought this topic was about Donuts! that'll teach me to read more closely.

Bama":1iwzexa4 said:
Seen a cat cut once. Put it down in a rubber boot and work quickly.

:shock: :lol2: :lol2:

I guess you could cut a dog, just restrain it well.

Mhmmm - but "Man's Best Friend" wouldn't describe it afterwards. I've got cows that won't let me touch them for a reason - but they're livestock and it doesn't matter. Dawg is a different story.

Now I do not condone doing this but my brother banded a 6 year old lab one time. It worked great. His nuts fell off and he went to live with the neighbors. He never returned home. True story. :cboy:

Latest posts