Dog kennel design

Help Support CattleToday:

Nutmegger

Reaction score
Do any of you have thoughts you can share on dog kennel design? Perhaps something you'd do differently if you were to build another one?

I'm thinking of runs that are 12' long and 4' wide, a concrete floor with a rock-filled 'trench' running across the back of the runs to give the dogs a place to do their business and make it easy to clean, outlets for heated water buckets, and a water hydrant adjacent.

Pictures or the benefit of your experience - good or bad - would be appreciated.

Thx.

We built one that works extremely well. Pole barn that is 30x60. Concrete floor. 5x12 pens down each side. 4 foot wide, raised walkway down the middle that is 6 inches higher than the floor in the runs. Petition walls are 2x4 framing with steel "goat panels". Similar to cow panels except the "holes" are 2"x4". Concrete block wall (1) block high down each side. Concrete was formed and poured on a slight slope. (2) dump tanks at the end (1 tank for each side). Depending on how fast you leave the water dripping they dump about every 1-5 hours. Water runs between walkway and block wall, washes out the crap, and empties into a lagoon. Same way we used to have farrowing barns and pig parlor so set up when we used to have hogs. All the dog houses are raised above the floor as are the feeders so nothing obstructs the flow of the water from the tanks. Drinking water is supplied through automatic nipples, again, the same as we used to use in hog barns. It's nice not to have to wash crap every day, but then again, I don't know how many dogs you are looking to house.

The most important thing your dog kennel should have is some kind of insulation if it is an outside house.

Another thing that you should think about is the material of the house depending on if it is inside or outside

DoggieWoof":19ob21oe said:
The most important thing your dog kennel should have is some kind of insulation if it is an outside house.

Another thing that you should think about is the material of the house depending on if it is inside or outside
You can't be serious , a bat of hay in a barrel is sufficient

DoggieWoof":15igvfg0 said:

And make sure its interior is painted an aesthetically pleasing color of course! :roll:

M-5":f0sh18ey said:
DoggieWoof":f0sh18ey said:

I am serious.. I wouldn't want my dog to freeze.. :cry2: :frowns:

If I was designing him the outside dog house the insulation would be a must..

I read the article the other day about dog houses http://mysweetpuppy.net/best-dog-house-for-your-hound/ because I am going to buy one so I am researching about it :compute:

In the article, I saw various designs of the dog houses but I don't like any of them which don't have proper insolation.. I am sure my dog will freeze during the colder days... And during the winter I will keep him inside of my own house regardless of the quality of the insulation of his outside house. I don't want to risk my dog being cold and I think that any good outside dog house design has to have proper insulation, at least 1inch thick!

You do realize your taking about animal that should be covered in hair. If your climate is that severe you buy one that is adapted to it. If you want a house dog then get you a house dog. Kennel dogs typically have a purpose and its not the norm to build them condos

DoggieWoof":3mooyxca said:
M-5":3mooyxca said:
DoggieWoof":3mooyxca said:

I am serious.. I wouldn't want my dog to freeze.. :cry2: :frowns:

If I was designing him the outside dog house the insulation would be a must..

I read the article the other day about dog houses http://mysweetpuppy.net/best-dog-house-for-your-hound/ because I am going to buy one so I am researching about it :compute:

In the article, I saw various designs of the dog houses but I don't like any of them which don't have proper insolation.. I am sure my dog will freeze during the colder days... And during the winter I will keep him inside of my own house regardless of the quality of the insulation of his outside house. I don't want to risk my dog being cold and I think that any good outside dog house design has to have proper insulation, at least 1inch thick!

Do you have two corgis and a anteater?

Very much depends on how many dogs you're talking about... but concrete floors, good drainage, and facilities that can easily be sprayed down and disinfected if needed (think parvo) would be a must in my book. No wood surfaces. Ideally in a location that gets enough sun to warm and dry out the kennels at least half the day. I've seen some really nice indoor/outdoor runs, someday might have a chance to build one.

I do care about housing... weather gets cold out my way and I don't own $50 decorative doggies or seasoned sled dogs.

Latest posts