Dog has an ear infection

Help Support CattleToday:

applepie

Reaction score
I am so mad at my vet! He wants to charge me $125 for my dog. I know she has an ear infection and needs an antibiotic. I DON'T have $125....He wouldn't give me any info except to wash ear with vinegar water solution for a couple of weeks, but he says she needs an atibiotic. He said that he'll give her a shot (wouldn't tell me what it is) and then follow with antibiotic therapy ( still wouldn't tell me what). I have penicilllan on hand, but not sure if I can give it to her or how much. It doesn't say for dogs. Cattle, horses, sheep, swine etc....Any help?
Thank you so much,
Gayle

Hmmm~ I will say that external treatment (like an ear drop) will not cure an internal infection (what your dog has). The ear drum creates a barrier to the inner ear ~ where the infection is. I cannot tell you what to give because I have not dealt with this in so long that I cannot rememeber how I treated. Your dog does need antibiotics.

Dogs can take penicillin. I have no idea how much, but I'd bet if you Googled it...with your dog's weight, you'd be able to find out.

This does not mean that penicillin will do the trick...I don't know...but Google it...all of it. You might be pleasantly surprised that you can treat the dog w/o the outrageous small animal vet bill.

Alice

I've treated a dog with pen before. Used it at the rate of 5 per 100 lbs. My brother has a dog that would chew on rocks. The rocks would crack his teeth. He got an infection in his jaw. The vets said he had cancer but, I could not see why the Pen would be working on cancer. I gave it Pen for five days then oral amoxicillin for another ten days. Then I had him give him the amoxicillin for five days at the first of each month for three or four months. My brother is not married or have any kids, that dog is like his child and I am happy to say it is healthy and doing great. All that being said I don't know if the Pen will help or not. I think I would try to find a large animal vet and ask for help.

Larry

Husband came home while I was posting so I just wrote fast, I will explain more now.
We got a puppy one month ago and for the last couple of weeks we have been battling an ear infection with her. Our vet gave us Otomax to use on her (this is an antibiotic, anti-inflammatory and antifungal) and it seemed to clear things up although I wasn't doing a good job at cleaning it out. I was too afraid of hurting her, I'm not used to doctoring anything under 80 pounds. :oops: Anyhow, when it reappeared she was then put on a Burrows solution with hydrocortisone for seven days this dried up the infection. Then I had the brilliant idea to use a cleaning solution on her ears to clean them out. She was in ALOT of pain from the first couple of drops so I wouldn't use the vinegar until the infection clears up.
I now have her back on the Otomax for a couple of days to soothe the irriation from the Burrows solution (as well as my stupidity of ear solution) and am cleaning out her ears with cotton swabs before application.This was the recommendation from her vet and she is no longer scratching and is doing really well. Hopefully it continues.
My guess is that the Otomax is what your vet was going to follow with. Can't give advice on pen. as our puppy did not receive any shots for her infection.

What kind of dog? Ears up or down? Both these make a difference...

Take that 125$ and go buy a couple of bags of the most expensive dog food you can find. I bet that "infection" clears up in 3 weeks. Most ear and skin "infections" in domestic pets are actually food allergies from cheap corn - based food. Try improved nutrition for a month and see what happens.

Better yet try cooking for them - you will be amazed. Any expense is easily saved from not having to pay a vet for chronic "infections"

Get and read this book:
Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats.
(recipes too if you decide to try that approach)

I am a vet tech and may be able to help... There are more then one kind of infection in dogs ears. Some are Yeast (Dark greasy brown wax), Bacterial (Yellowish wax), ect. Can you tell me what your dogs ear looks like?

Some dogs can be allergic to certain foods and can get infections, but not that many. One of the biggest causes is the ears staying damp, if it has hairy ears you need to keep them dry. After baths I always use some ear cleaner to have a drying affect and get the moisture out, then swab them. If it is an inner ear infection you really need to let the vet look at it and give the proper antibiotic.

Hippie Rancher":1mfkl994 said:
Take that 125$ and go buy a couple of bags of the most expensive dog food you can find. I bet that "infection" clears up in 3 weeks. Most ear and skin "infections" in domestic pets are actually food allergies from cheap corn - based food. Try improved nutrition for a month and see what happens.

Better yet try cooking for them - you will be amazed. Any expense is easily saved from not having to pay a vet for chronic "infections"

Get and read this book:
Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats.
(recipes too if you decide to try that approach)

Good advice. I have the book. Some libraries have it. Used copies available cheap cheap on http://www.amazon.com

It is amazing the damage corn and wheat based dog foods cause.
These ingredients are for cows, not dogs.
The dogfood industry brainwashed us to believe that these ingredients are what our dogs need. Nothing could be further from the truth.

If you skimp on dogfood, you will be paying vet bils.

Also true:
There are more then one kind of infection in dogs ears. Some are Yeast (Dark greasy brown wax), Bacterial (Yellowish wax),

Hope you have gotten your dog the treatment that gets results.

Latest posts