Dog-gone question--need advice

Help Support CattleToday:

dburkhart

Reaction score
Hi--

We need some advice. We are looking for a dog that has to be smart, good livestock dog, and great with young children. We are looking at an australian shepherd/boarder collie mix. Seems smart at 10 weeks. Does anyone know about this type of combination breed? Anything better?

Thanks,

dburkhart":2ozy3tu4 said:
Hi--

We need some advice. We are looking for a dog that has to be smart, good livestock dog, and great with young children. We are looking at an australian shepherd/boarder collie mix. Seems smart at 10 weeks. Does anyone know about this type of combination breed? Anything better?

Thanks,

As long as you train it and not let it train you, you should be okay with that mix. I think it might be hard to mix family dog and cow dog, though. My dad's cowdogs were his and his alone. We were not allowed to play with them or anything because he wanted to be the only person taking care of them. He had some good dogs, too.

I had a German Shorthaird Point/Blue Heeler mix and she was the best dog I ever had once she was trained.

some cattle dogs are not good around small children.
i have one that gets really excited around movement..kids running and playing and will try and herd them.
i don't trust him not to bite, so i don't allow him around small children
but it really depends on the dog.

Ive got a BC..adopted her for the shelter, she is 8 months old. Excellent with kids. I take her to all my sons soccer practices and games and the kids and parents love her.

She is super smart and very eager to please you, even if it means killing her fun. YEsterday, she and my hound were in the hayfield tracking something. I called them. Kate looked up and over at me..then at Lulu, the hound, like she was trying to decide what she should do and then she made a beeline to me. my son is doing obidience with her now and she is very easy for him to handle. shes always been mannerly, respectful and very sweet.

I think she'll make a good livestock dog for me...I dont need a dog to send across the pasture. I just want company and a watchful eye to guard the gate, or make an ornery horse or cow get going. Ive started her lightly on goats. she was very nervous around the horses and cows at first, but shes moved past that and is starting to be pretty brave...Im going to keep her on the goats til she tells me shes ready and then move her up to my small heifer.

she has alot of energy..be it puppy, breed or both. I try to get her outside with me as often as possible to burn it off and tire the beejebers outta her.

Here's a photo of her
spinandslide-albums-other+photos-picture16352-p1010127.jpg

Sarah I love the color of your dog.....but I'm sure he wasn't wearing that bandana when you found him. :lol:

cross_7":3nbdkswm said:
i have one that gets really excited around movement..kids running and playing and will try and herd them.
Just think how good it would be if you had crossed it with an aussie! :nod:

angie":33v4mvb4 said:
cross_7":33v4mvb4 said:
Just think how good it would be if you had crossed it with an aussie! :nod:

i don't have anything against aussie's
imo i just think that there are better working dogs out there, but as far as a pet...i bet aussies are fine.

We have 2 Pembroke Welsh Corgis. One is now "retired" from herding due to an injury, the other is a young pup.
Love this breed.

TexasBred":2fvsmlva said:
Sarah I love the color of your dog.....but I'm sure he wasn't wearing that bandana when you found him. :lol:

Thanks Richard! :wave:

Actually, she had on a pink and purple hearts bandana when I adopted her..no lie. :)

Latest posts