dog fennal

Help Support CattleToday:

jt

Reaction score
would like to hear from some of you who may have been successful in getting rid of, or at least controlling, dog fennal, aka cypress weed.

have talked to various ag folks and received various answers. also received an answer that it will be next to impossible to get rid of.. comment was that in 10 years i will probably still have it..

hoping to certainly do better than that!

some info about my pasture:

the ph of my soil is only marginally low.. close enough that liming was not recommended at this point.

mostly common bermuda grass

have sprayed 2 years in a row with grazon

fertilized with recommended mix, but not always at recommended quantities, however, recommended mix and quantity used last year.
(you cant always afford to put out the amount of fertilizer that a soil test says to put out,)

overall, my pasture is not bad.

comments welcomed

thanks
jt

D.R. Cattle":1k8yyzh5 said:
I've had better luck with mowing than I have with Herbicides. Helps grasses choke it out.

that is one thing i forgot to mention... i sprayed 3 yrs ago and 2 yrs ago, but last year i bushhogged it 3 times about a month apart each time.

i guess i really wont know how well that worked until later this year, but am glad to hear that it worked for you.

thanks

jt

are yall talking about the grass that grows in the pasture with yellow flowers on it. small yellow flowers. i have a problem with that too if that is what yall are talking about..

cattletom":2maplb96 said:
are yall talking about the grass that grows in the pasture with yellow flowers on it. small yellow flowers. i have a problem with that too if that is what yall are talking about..

no, this is a tall green slinder stemy perenial sp? that will grow head height or better. it has a woody stem, and puts out a white seed in the fall. they are not an early plant although they are starting to grow some now. they will really take off in the summer. they are known by many different names, i just cant think of what some of them are right now except for what i originally posted.. but their proper name according to the ag people is dog fennal.

i think you are talking about what i call butter cups. they will die out in the heat.

jt

If it's what I think it is 24-D will kill it but it's probably already too late. You have to hit them early so that they won't have a chance to regerminate this year.

Jake":efney8a1 said:
If it's what I think it is 24-D will kill it but it's probably already too late. You have to hit them early so that they won't have a chance to regerminate this year.

ive gotten mixed answers on whether 2 4 d will kill it.. that is why i put grazon on it. but was also told by another ag man that weedmaster, which is a 2 4 d based product would kill it.. so??

it is a perinial. it comes back from roots as well as new seeds germinating..

jt

depending on how desperate you are and how much there is to spray you can hand spray round-up on it.... also a good way to get rid of the kid's energy cutting them out or send them out with the squirt bottle.

I'm not familiar with the weed you're describing, but part of your post reminded me of when the neighbors were trying to get rid of morning glory. The best time to hit that weed is after the first heavy frost. The plant is busy storing food in the root and takes the herbicide right down to the root. Of course, one spraying won't work, but spraying faithfully every year at the right time does knock it down.

When the other poster mentioned the weed with yellow flowers, I first thought of curlycup gumweed. It's a very sticky plant that stores selenium. Thus, it's toxic to livestock if they are starved and happen to eat it.

Mowing will help a lot if you have enough grass to choke it out and the cows dont clip it down too much. i think weedmaster works too, it will have in the instructions what stage is best for the weed to be sprayed for best results.

jt":7htr4g1i said:
would like to hear from some of you who may have been successful in getting rid of, or at least controlling, dog fennal, aka cypress weed.

have talked to various ag folks and received various answers. also received an answer that it will be next to impossible to get rid of.. comment was that in 10 years i will probably still have it..

hoping to certainly do better than that!

some info about my pasture:

the ph of my soil is only marginally low.. close enough that liming was not recommended at this point.

mostly common bermuda grass

have sprayed 2 years in a row with grazon

fertilized with recommended mix, but not always at recommended quantities, however, recommended mix and quantity used last year.
(you cant always afford to put out the amount of fertilizer that a soil test says to put out,)

overall, my pasture is not bad.

comments welcomed

thanks
jt

I have a lot of bermuda also I have had sucess with Remedy and Grazon.
Mowing only makes the root system stronger and the fennel more stubborn. Also mowing requires mowing feed(grass)

Let them get above the bermuda and wick them with round-up.

ollie":3g6h3otk said:

thanks for everyones response.. it is most definitely a troublesome weed to contend with.

ollie, i have heard of this before, but really am not familiar with how to go about doing it. is this wick something one builds? or where can you buy one?

thanks
jt

[/quote]

I have a lot of bermuda also I have had sucess with Remedy and Grazon.
Mowing only makes the root system stronger and the fennel more stubborn. Also mowing requires mowing feed(grass)[/quote]

campground,

at what stages of the plant's growth did you apply the chemical and which one do you think did the best job?

how many years did it take to get it under control?

thanks
jt

jt":35r1m8o1 said:
ollie":35r1m8o1 said:

thanks for everyones response.. it is most definitely a troublesome weed to contend with.

ollie, i have heard of this before, but really am not familiar with how to go about doing it. is this wick something one builds? or where can you buy one?

thanks
jt
http://www.qualitymetalworks.com/products.html
The wick I have I got from quality metal works. Here is their link.You could make one yourself but if I remember this one 10 feet long only cost around 200.00 . Not that much material in it but rounding all of the items like the canvas would take a little time.

JT -- if you do a google search for "weed wipers" you will see a number of articles, sources for the equipment, etc. Here's something from the Noble foundation out of Oklahoma:

http://www.noble.org/Press_Release/Ag/WeedWiper/

The weed wipers also work well for folks down south that have Johnson grass invading their bermuda hay meadows. Soon after cutting the Johnson grass regrowth will be much taller than the bermuda and that's a good time to go through with the wipers.

If you are pretty "handy" and have seen them you could pretty easily make your own.

Arnold Ziffle":1k5tu4oz said:
JT -- if you do a google search for "weed wipers" you will see a number of articles, sources for the equipment, etc. Here's something from the Noble foundation out of Oklahoma:

http://www.noble.org/Press_Release/Ag/WeedWiper/

The weed wipers also work well for folks down south that have Johnson grass invading their bermuda hay meadows. Soon after cutting the Johnson grass regrowth will be much taller than the bermuda and that's a good time to go through with the wipers.

If you are pretty "handy" and have seen them you could pretty easily make your own.

thanks arnold and ollie.. if i could see one and figure out what type of material i need to absorb the chemical, i most likely would attempt to build it. getting the proper material and flow rate would be important it seems, and if i could not come set on how to get that right, i would probably be better off to purchase one, but i definitely am going to look into this more.

thanks again,

jt

They are a very handy applicator. Anyone that owns a uniform crop like bermuda needs one. They also work well on Johnson grass in summer hay fields.

ollie":2t59jrpr said:
They are a very handy applicator. Anyone that owns a uniform crop like bermuda needs one. They also work well on Johnson grass in summer hay fields.

i did talk to the people who make this thing.. it also sounds like they are very economical to use. i asked about the 10'6" one and she said it only held 2 gal of mix and that it didnt take much because all you are doing is wiping the plant.. sounds good to me.

is it easy to regulate how much to put out?

thanks

jt

I wouldn't say it was easy to regulate , it drips if you don't have it wiping weeds. You don't loose that much chemical though and I havn't seen any negative results in the crop. Again overall it works very well. It is much less trouble than a spray rig ( which I also own) They are always tearing up from corrosion and bouncing and such.

Latest posts