Dog Breeding Opinions

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl Ibara

Reaction score
I have a golden retriever female who just tuned a year old. I m planning on her having her bred December of 08 after she has matured and gets OFA certified. But I have come to a dilemma about a sire. Sire charges are usually high and I was contemplating either buying my own certified sire or the option of A.I. But I haven't heard much in the field of K-9 A.I. So any input or opinions are welcome and needed. Thanks

I thought I read some where that AI sired puppies can't be registered in the AKC.

You might look into renting a registered dog to breed yours though.

They do AI dogs. Ask your vet if does it and check with the Golden Retriever club of america and they can help you out. Yes, AI puppies can be registered with the AKC a lot of show dogs are out of AI breedings.

SKF Show Cattle":h3uhtu53 said:
They do AI dogs. Ask your vet if does it and check with the Golden Retriever club of america and they can help you out. Yes, AI puppies can be registered with the AKC a lot of show dogs are out of AI breedings.

Has it always been this way? I could have sworn I read a couple years ago that it wasn't allowed, but just saw the site and you're right. Well show's how much I know- thanks for correcting me.

buckwheat_87":12a1t000 said:
Dont know anything about A.I. in dogs, but you would probley get more replies if you put it in the right forum.

(Dogs, Cats and Other Pets)

I did post the same topic in that forum but I thought I should give this one a try also since the forum is labeled breeding.

I think it is horses that can't be registered "thoroughbred" if they are not conceived the old fashioned way. So to speak.

suscofa":3hamwakk said:
I think it is horses that can't be registered "thoroughbred" if they are not conceived the old fashioned way. So to speak.

I think they can AI horses, but the stud has to be on the premises. Which makes AI-ing sort of unnecessary.

AI will likely be more expensive than live cover. The breed fee doesn't change but you do add vet bills.

Latest posts