Does your state have an active B C I A?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
The state of Florida does not have a BCIA program. We are from Florida but we are active in the Alabama BCIA program. Just curious as to what your thoughts are on BCIA and. How many. States actually have BCIA?

Gizmom

gizmom":1g73vx44 said:
The state of Florida does not have a BCIA program. We are from Florida but we are active in the Alabama BCIA program. Just curious as to what your thoughts are on BCIA and. How many. States actually have BCIA?

Gizmom
What is a BCIA program? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I've just never heard of it.

They used to but EPDs made it obsolete if you are deemed progressive! :lol: I think that they just wanted to use those few dollars for other stuff. It was helpful to commercial folks if they used it. Few did.

Farm boy

BCIA is Beef Cattle Improvement Association it is usually a branch of extension that works with cattle producers to help them in all aspects of their operations. Like I said Florida does not have one but Alabama does, and I have found being involved with BCIA has indeed helped us improve our operation
Edited to say a co-operative program between the states Cattlemen's association and extension.

Ebenezer

BCIA is an excellent program they focus on measuring and obtaining real world data. They believe in DNA and genomics but they haven't drank the cool-aid to believe that DNA replaces real world data. I am not one to believe that EPD's or DNA tell the entire story we believe in measuring our cattle's production the ones that are profitable are the ones bringing in a big calf, breeding back and staying in good condition while accomplishing their job. The only way to truly measure that is taking weights. Alabama BCIA will take your weights and help you analyze the results, I just don't understand why more states don't have the program.

Gizmom

here in Virginia we still have one but it is dying the death of a thousand cuts.

I used to be on the board and was on one of the test station committees.

Back in the old days they used to come to the farm for members and weigh and grade calves....that went by the wayside decades ago...too expensive...but it was the introduction to performance testing...

Over the years people bought scales and recorded their own information and sent it to BCIA. I don't think they do that anymore either...

the bull tests used to be a big thing...Then the breeders started all running their own on farm tests and the BCIA tests have struggled to remain relevant...No shortage of bulls available....

As my daddy used to say, " The world would be a much nicer place if there were more good steers and geldings in it, and a lot less average bulls and stallions."

gizmom":2pr939xu said:
Farm boy

BCIA is Beef Cattle Improvement Association it is usually a branch of extension that works with cattle producers to help them in all aspects of their operations. Like I said Florida does not have one but Alabama does, and I have found being involved with BCIA has indeed helped us improve our operation
Edited to say a co-operative program between the states Cattlemen's association and extension.

Ebenezer

BCIA is an excellent program they focus on measuring and obtaining real world data. They believe in DNA and genomics but they haven't drank the cool-aid to believe that DNA replaces real world data. I am not one to believe that EPD's or DNA tell the entire story we believe in measuring our cattle's production the ones that are profitable are the ones bringing in a big calf, breeding back and staying in good condition while accomplishing their job. The only way to truly measure that is taking weights. Alabama BCIA will take your weights and help you analyze the results, I just don't understand why more states don't have the program.

Gizmom

Participated from 1983 until they made it so hard to use that we quit. AAA can do the same with calf reports. For what I want I can do with that and visuals.