Does this look OK?

Help Support CattleToday:

CCCowman

Reaction score
Heifer is due in 2 weeks. Does her bag look right?

20161007_142957_zpsqmhz8s8c.jpg

It's odd, but within normal range, I'd say. What is your concern? I have a cow just calved who always has a front half which is effectively just the two huge teats. Horrible udder. Her mother and grandmother were vastly better. She doesn't milk well either. You may find you don't want to keep this one beyond the first year - or her daughters.

CCCowman":3n3h6iht said:

Umm.. I have cows that don't have the best bag in the world but raise good calves but never had a heifer with a bag like that. If I were after good genetics I would not keep any of her calves and probably not her. If you are trying to have a good herd nows the time to get good heifers/cows with good genetics.

Putangitangi":18l1y6lq said:
It's odd, but within normal range, I'd say. What is your concern? I have a cow just calved who always has a front half which is effectively just the two huge teats. Horrible udder. Her mother and grandmother were vastly better. She doesn't milk well either. You may find you don't want to keep this one beyond the first year - or her daughters.

It looks odd especially with the front half not developed like the back. It may develop nicely by the time she calves. If not she may go to a new home.

Thanks, appreciate the reply.

skyhightree1":cdci7zp0 said:
CCCowman":cdci7zp0 said:

Umm.. I have cows that don't have the best bag in the world but raise good calves but never had a heifer with a bag like that. If I were after good genetics I would not keep any of her calves and probably not her. If you are trying to have a good herd nows the time to get good heifers/cows with good genetics.

I am trying to build a good herd. Thanks Sky.

like sky said now is the time to cull, prices are not going to pay you to keep cows like this. any of mine looked close to that would get culled as soon as utter started to shape up . she would ship or shortly after she droped her calf .

mooo":26ey7ffl said:
like sky said now is the time to cull, prices are not going to pay you to keep cows like this. any of mine looked close to that would get culled as soon as utter started to shape up . she would ship or shortly after she droped her calf .

Hopefully the calf will grow well and maybe you can hold off instead of selling a pair breed her back and have a decent sized calf to split and sell.

I'd be concerned, but since she's so close to calving I'd let her have the calf and watch it very closely and make sure it is able to get something out of her when it tries to nurse.

CCCowman":w2xhxbal said:

I'm looking for the 4th quarter...if it's there and same size as the other rear quarter then fine...otherwise looks like she may have mastitis. Has it just filled recently??

I'm with texasbred. It looks more like a quarter with mastitis unless the other rear quarter looks the same. Since you could get that close to take a picture, get her in a chute or something and see how the quarter feels; if it is hard or warmer than the others or has junk in it when you try to milk it. Even so, if the udder stays this mis-shapen, I wouldn't keep any calves out of her if she does raise a decent calf. That said, it might go on and fill out more evenly when she calves. I would definitely check her for mastitis.

Latest posts