does this heifer look pregnant

Help Support CattleToday:

ugabulldog

Reaction score
The other cows/heifers birthed 1-2 monthss ago. They were all with bull for 3 mos. She is the only one left so I didn't want to pay to have vet out and I don't trust myself to palpate, never done before. I thought she was based on teats getting longer, now not sure. I watch pasture pretty close and haven't seen aborted fetus. Is this a way to tell? Thanks

Follow-up question, I think she is a nice heifer, if open would you give her another chance to breed?

TexasBred":1iwlu590 said:
Going on appearance only she may be bred but is not even close to calving.

If this is the case, then she is not bred, has been separated from bull for going on 9 mos.

She could be starting to bag up..if I look at udder it would seem that teats are firming. Try and get a pic of the back view of the cow and lets see if that helps ;-)

To me, it looks like her tail head has sunk some. Easier to judge in person and seeing them regularly though.

alisonb":3qubrj2e said:
She could be starting to bag up..if I look at udder it would seem that teats are firming. Try and get a pic of the back view of the cow and lets see if that helps ;-)

I'd venture to say she has enough of a bag that for a first time calver she ought to be pregnant.. On a cow you wouldn't be able to use that size a bag to say yes or no though.

I'd give her a month and if you don't notice anything unmistakable, ship her, I wouldn't keep her.

I would guess with 90% certainty that she's open. No side, no flank, and no bag. Of course, the only sure way to know is to have her checked.

jkwilson":22bct7ab said:
To me, it looks like her tail head has sunk some. Easier to judge in person and seeing them regularly though.

I tend to agree with jkwilson, it certainly looks like the pelvic ligaments next to the tail head have relaxed somewhat but this usually happens closer to birth(like 24hrs) and yet there are no signs of 'springing in the back area(this can be deceiving though and could happen over night). If you can touch her, feel the ligaments that attach the pin bones to the spine, they are about an inch thick. Are they hard or relaxed? The abdomen has not descended either but she definitely seems to be bagging up. Any signs of discharge, restlessness, loose stools?

I hope she surprises you(and us all) with a calf...

ugabulldog":31zin7q5 said:
I don't trust myself to palpate

Follow-up question, I think she is a nice heifer, if open would you give her another chance to breed?

1: Its not that hard to try with a chute and a glove. Or even a rope.

2: And no.

Supa Dexta":1kaddf77 said:
ugabulldog":1kaddf77 said:
I don't trust myself to palpate
1: Its not that hard to try with a chute and a glove. Or even a rope.

2: And no.
+1

7 1/2 + months fairly easy to bump calf from the side/outside without having to palpate.
If you do and can't find a calf when bumping from the outside, reach in just to be sure because you're going to be
selling her anyway and you might learn something.

2. nope... unlucky heifers turn into unlucky cows and somehow it seems they always have a little black cloud following over them. If it's not one thing it's another, when we've tried it 4 out of 5 times wished we hadn't bothered.

Latest posts