Does she have lump jaw?

Help Support CattleToday:

Moo05

Reaction score
I have a month old bottle calf and a day or 2 ago I noticed that one side of her jaw has a lump on it. I'm worried that it could be bony lump jaw. The lump didn't feel soft. It feels more like a bone. If it is bony lump jaw what should I do?

Attachments

• 8F74D6FB-5E02-454E-BB56-6E8EAB3D39B3.jpeg
    8F74D6FB-5E02-454E-BB56-6E8EAB3D39B3.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 31
Welcome to CT. It's probably just an abscess. Benign neglect - watch and wait. If it gets larger, you can stick a needle in it and see if any pus comes out, in which case you could lance it and let it drain. I prefer to follow up an abscess with an antibiotic, but that's not always the case and they will eventually heal on their own.

That's a very common place for abscesses to form in calves that had an infection circulating in their blood stream at a younger age. If that's what it is, it will eventually break open and heal up without treatment.

That's a very common place for abscesses to form in calves that had an infection circulating in their blood stream at a younger age. If that's what it is, it will eventually break open and heal up without treatment.
What does an absess feel like?

Hey Buck, Do young calves ever get lumpy jaw or woody tongue? I have had a couple cases of both but they have always been on older cows.

They start out very hard. Eventually a soft spot will begin to form where the skin thins. That's where they break open. Think of it like the head on a pimple.
Ok, thanks for letting me know😊 as of right now it's very hard.

Hey Buck, Do young calves ever get lumpy jaw or woody tongue? I have had a couple cases of both but they have always been on older cows.
I've never seen lumpy jaw or wooden tongue in calves, though it is theoretically possible. Both are caused by injuries to the mouth from eating coarse feed. Calves are usually picky enough to avoid that.

I have a month old bottle calf and a day or 2 ago I noticed that one side of her jaw has a lump on it. I'm worried that it could be bony lump jaw. The lump didn't feel soft. It feels more like a bone. If it is bony lump jaw what should I do?
Or it could be due Actinomycetes infection. It requires treatment with iodine IV by your vet. The jaw is bone hard, they still eating , loose weight. It will not respond to drainage alone.

Latest posts