Does Jalapeno (Red, Polled Simmental) has a Black Gene?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have read an article of genetic inheritance that it's about Red & Black and of Polled or Horned even is not so hard to understand is a bit confusing. Now Jalapeno's (ABS and Bovine Elite offers semen) Dam sire is called Black Max obviously the bull is Black and Jalapeno is Red, so the qestion was if the bull has a black gene does it can have black calves. It's confusing but if someone that have use Jalapeno's semen could know.

dun":uwcj2hwy said:
If he had a black gene he would be black!

dun

A. delaGarza":10w97ha8 said:
I have read an article of genetic inheritance that it's about Red & Black and of Polled or Horned even is not so hard to understand is a bit confusing. Now Jalapeno's (ABS and Bovine Elite offers semen) Dam sire is called Black Max obviously the bull is Black and Jalapeno is Red, so the qestion was if the bull has a black gene does it can have black calves. It's confusing but if someone that have use Jalapeno's semen could know.

dun":10w97ha8 said:

dun

i don't know Jalapeno, but if he's red he does not have a black gene & the only way he can have black calves is to be bred to black cows. if he's red & bred to red cows he can only have red calves.

I understand the genetic explanaition you gave me thanks a lot, but maybe the bull called Black Max isn't Black.

txag":26vf8lh9 said:
A. delaGarza":26vf8lh9 said:

dun":26vf8lh9 said:

dun

i don't know Jalapeno, but if he's red he does not have a black gene & the only way he can have black calves is to be bred to black cows. if he's red & bred to red cows he can only have red calves.

i looked up Jalapeno but couldn't find Black Max. Black Max could be black (he could be either homozygous black or heterozygous) & Jalapeno's dam could also be black but if she's black she must be heterozygous to have a red calf (Jalapeno). Jalapeno's sire is red (from my genetic discussion, bb) so he can only pass on a red gene. Jalapeno's dam must either be red (bb) or heterozygous black (Bb) and in Jalapeno's case have passed on the red gene and not the black gene. Thus, for color, Jalapeno is bb. No black gene.

Another note: Two black animals can have a red offspring but two red parents can't have a black.

thanks for the help, I search it too and find that Black Max is Black for sure. A.S.A. reg. num. 1078957. STF Jalapenos is 1876511. So now will Jalapeno could have black calves if I A.I. traditional color Simmental cows? I think NO, but I had the doubt and it is already answered, thanks for your help, maybe I will use him to continue with the polled gene and infuse more Red (less white spots), Amazed made an explanation that Jalapeno is non-diluter and he is not a spot remover so at least I will have less spots on the calves.

txag":1lanpz7u said:
i looked up Jalapeno but couldn't find Black Max. Black Max could be black (he could be either homozygous black or heterozygous) & Jalapeno's dam could also be black but if she's black she must be heterozygous to have a red calf (Jalapeno). Jalapeno's sire is red (from my genetic discussion, bb) so he can only pass on a red gene. Jalapeno's dam must either be red (bb) or heterozygous black (Bb) and in Jalapeno's case have passed on the red gene and not the black gene. Thus, for color, Jalapeno is bb. No black gene.

Another note: Two black animals can have a red offspring but two red parents can't have a black.

A.delaGarza, we have used Jalapeno. He is red so you will not get any black calves unless you use him on black cows.
Good luck.

Latest posts