Does it help to show the cattle at shows for profit

Help Support CattleToday:

If anything it will show people what your cattle look like and what their calves look like and how they grow. The biggest advantage is people learn your name ,making it possible to sell more cattle or beef depending on your market?

What is your time worth? How many shows are you going to attend? Have you considered the price of fuel for hauling them?

Showing cattle is a marketing tool for your operation. Very few shows have premiums that come close to paying your expences. Showing cattle is also a great activity for young people,alot of life lessons can be found at the end of a halter.
You don't have to win a show,just get your cattle out there to be viewed and compared. Just have to make sure you put your best foot forward and are in the frame of mind to talk to people and answer questions. I tell all my 4-H kids that they may not win at every show they attend,you work with the cattle you have. I think that everyone has an equal chance at Herdsmanship and Showmanship. This is how you present yourself and your cattle to the public and potential buyers.

I have not gotten that far yet. Someone just told me in an email to take my best calf or yearling and show him if his EPD's are really good.

backhoeboogie":1eah44ts said:
What is your time worth? How many shows are you going to attend? Have you considered the price of fuel for hauling them?

OhioRiver":344fkif7 said:
I have not gotten that far yet. Someone just told me in an email to take my best calf or yearling and show him if his EPD's are really good.

backhoeboogie":344fkif7 said:

When you show its more of a promotional thing than a way to make money. It is nice to say your bull was Grand Champ at the IL State Fair or something when you are trying to sell semen and/or progeny.

Large Purebred Operations show their cattle for different reasons than a 4-H/FFA student who shows at their local county fair.

It depends on what your goal for your herd is. If you're interested in getting the best carcasses and profit for your calves based on their feed performance, then no. If you're interested in getting into seed stock production or purebred cattle, then absolutely.

It is expensive and time consuming.. so make sure it's a dedication you want to make.

OhioRiver":1gv2c735 said:

backhoeboogie":1gv2c735 said:

Before you show, you have to halter break, teach it to lead, etc. Then you put a bunch of feed in it, groom it, and hope someone wants it. There is a lot of time and expense involved.

Excellent cattle, suited for your environment, in a pasture alongside a highway, in farm country, draws a lot of attention. If that bull has great genes, it will show in the calves out in that pasture. People take notice and it is a whole lot more folks than what you see at shows. Going to watch a show takes a lot of time in itself. Check the crowd at the average County Fair. Take him to Fort Worth and you'll get more crowd exposure but you'll also have a great deal of competition. That good looking bull may look like garbage compared to something there. Plus the animals he is competing with may be pumped up with "natural" supplement. You don't see his "work" at a show like you would if you could see his calves in the pasture.

Showing works for some. You need the best of the best and you need a lot of time to prepare and participate.

Is that kinda like don't your bull if you think better bulls are at a show. I am sure we don't hear about cows or bulls failing to win at certain shows either.

backhoeboogie":3mynt5r2 said:
OhioRiver":3mynt5r2 said:

backhoeboogie":3mynt5r2 said:

Before you show, you have to halter break, teach it to lead, etc. Then you put a bunch of feed in it, groom it, and hope someone wants it. There is a lot of time and expense involved.

Excellent cattle, suited for your environment, in a pasture alongside a highway, in farm country, draws a lot of attention. If that bull has great genes, it will show in the calves out in that pasture. People take notice and it is a whole lot more folks than what you see at shows. Going to watch a show takes a lot of time in itself. Check the crowd at the average County Fair. Take him to Fort Worth and you'll get more crowd exposure but you'll also have a great deal of competition. That good looking bull may look like garbage compared to something there. Plus the animals he is competing with may be pumped up with "natural" supplement. You don't see his "work" at a show like you would if you could see his calves in the pasture.

Showing works for some. You need the best of the best and you need a lot of time to prepare and participate.

Latest posts