Does he look sick?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
I was told by others that our bull calf, who will be a steer soon...looks sick. We've given him a dose of draxin and just wormed him.

what else should we do?? We are all new to this.

Who told you he looked sick and what are the symptoms? Why does he look sick? How old is he? Not near enough information to even make a second guess. Why the draxxin? Did a vet look at him?

Kind of pot gutted, head low and coarse hair, I can see how somebody might think he was sick. But he's obviously calm so that might explain the head low.

How does he eat? How easy is it to feel his ribs?

the nose doesn't look snotty , maybe they were trying to say that they thought a good worming was in order and you just did that so in a few weeks you should start seeing those results. does he have any pasture mates ??

ALWAYS temp a calf when in doubt. It will tell you more than just looking at him. You can go buy a cheap thermometer at Walmart or any store, digital, and get a temp on easily, especially since he is halter broke and calm.

bird dog":124p54k8 said:
Was he sick when he was a calf? Looks kind of like he may have some permanent damage from something in the past.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thinks he looks stunted.

Rafter S":18rngufs said:
bird dog":18rngufs said:
Was he sick when he was a calf? Looks kind of like he may have some permanent damage from something in the past.

We honestly have no idea...we were told he was from a breeder in North Florida. We bought him from a cow broker. They said September birth date, but has recently said no October. He won't give me any inclination as to where he's from. He was never sick...just on here, someone mentioned they thought he might be. He's been given Draxxin and wormed. He's pretty calm and chill for a pasture calf. He was green when we got him in January.

I'm just not sure...the broker told us to give him Multimin, Vitamin A, D, and E.

We shaved him yesterday and hoping that helps. He had 3" long hair.

mightyarrowsfarm":3iif86qv said:
Rafter S":3iif86qv said:
bird dog":3iif86qv said:

We honestly have no idea...we were told he was from a breeder in North Florida. We bought him from a cow broker. They said September birth date, but has recently said no October. He won't give me any inclination as to where he's from. He was never sick...just on here, someone mentioned they thought he might be. He's been given Draxxin and wormed. He's pretty calm and chill for a pasture calf. He was green when we got him in January.

I'm just not sure...the broker told us to give him Multimin, Vitamin A, D, and E.

We shaved him yesterday and hoping that helps. He had 3" long hair.

I would avoid that broker in the future.

I would bet he is a chronic with lung damage. I have one also so don't feel alone. Mine is still on her mother but doesn't grow as well, move as well, or look as well as the other calves in the herd. Completely my fault. The calf was on a place with no facilities and it got sick and I hadn't been out there for a few days because of the mud and took another couple days to get it caught. By then the damage was done. The drugs took away the cough and runny nose but you can't fix the damage. I have had a couple in the past. They and this one are noted for hair that does not shed off, pot belly and are lethargic. When its hot they won't leave the shade tree and pant like a dog. He will continue to grow, just at a much slower pace than you would like. Good luck.

Workinonit Farm":bneg048j said:
M-5":bneg048j said:
Workinonit Farm":bneg048j said:
Why did you shave him, in February?
I suspect they are in my general area and right now its skinny dipping weather.

Ahhhhh, okay. I wondered about that. I do not know where they are located.
Thx.
Idk either but they said the purchased calf from a broker in North FL.

He looks kinda ugly in the first pictures... but ugly is not a disease or reason to give antibiotics. He might just need some decent feed...what is he eating at your place?

Saw your other post... 6 month old calf weighing 392 and you want to "bulk him up"... what's the goal with this poor beast? 4H? FFA? your freezer? lawn ornament?

He sounds stunted, may or may not have been sick in the past, probably just needs decent feed, worming, and minerals. Do you have a veterinarian you use or one recommended by neighbors who can look at this calf and visit with you about cattle feeding and management?

Yes, we live in South Florida and the temps are in the mid 80's. No winter for us here.

So, chronic lung damage...great! We have a vet coming next week, so we will see what he says.

milkmaid":1ue8lyde said:
He looks kinda ugly in the first pictures... but ugly is not a disease or reason to give antibiotics. He might just need some decent feed...what is he eating at your place?

really not sure how that helped, but thanks for your wisdom.

mightyarrowsfarm":111pycyr said:
milkmaid":111pycyr said:

really not sure how that helped, but thanks for your wisdom.

Oh my....... simple simple simple then....

1. Some calves are born ugly (poor conformation, genetics), some calves become ugly (chronic illness, poor feed, etc).
2. Ugly calves tend to catch people's eyes... "he looks off/sick/something isn't right with that animal."
3. Ugly calves are not necessarily sick and sick calves are not necessarily ugly.
4. Ugly calves do tend to get treated more than pretty calves.
5. Ugly is not a disease.
6. Calves do not necessarily stay ugly - good feed and management will make most of them look okay in the end.
7. When you treat a calf with antibiotics you should be treating a *disease* - i.e. the calf has _________ and the antibiotic _______ is labeled to cure that. I don't read that in any of your posts.
8. I am - and all cattlemen should be - very much against the unnecessary use of antibiotics. It costs money, can lead to antibiotic resistance, and will eventually result in increased restrictions on our/your use of it (over the counter and prescription medications) - just look at the recent VFD.
9. You cannot treat your way out of bad genetics.
10. You cannot treat your way out of a management problem.

Treat sick calves. Not ugly ones. And learn everything you can about feed and management...

Latest posts