Does every herd have a boss cow?

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan":20r7tjx3 said:
For those who don't recommend heifers for beginners, what are the most common problems that usually arise? Is it trouble giving birth, cow and calf dying, cow not owning the calf, cow not giving milk? How many heifers out of 10 would you predict will have problems?

I bought 13 heavy bred heifers last October. Out of the 13 I pulled 2, 1 was premature and dead, the other was fine but it just took her a while and she was laying there so I just grabbed him by his front legs and gave him a tug. Also had another one born dead. So out of 13 I lost 2.

Raising heifers properly to even get them in the right condition to be bred can be an art in itself. "most" new owners do not have an "eye" for body condition. All their cattle are "beautiful".
Here is a site you should check out:
http://www.ext.vt.edu/pubs/beef/400-795/photos1-9.html
Then if and when you get them to grow properly, you have to choose a bull that will be an easy calver. You don't want to buy just a "cow settler". A bull represents your future calves. You want to buy the best bull for the most money you can afford to spend.
Good luck. Hopefully you have a mentor friend that can give you some guidance. Maybe look at your heifers every month or so. Don't rely on dairymen because they think a beef heifer looks FAT even if she's thin!

Latest posts