does dehorning paste work?

Help Support CattleToday:

I have to agree with Nova... I think it's nasty, and I've seen it end up where it doesn't belong. I can't imagine what would keep a cow from licking it off.. another potential problem, and I didn't even consider the udder damage.

If you burn them (The Buddex works very nicely) it not only is over quickly and relatively painlessly, but also does a neat job and you don't have to worry about where the paste will end up.

It seems to me that years ago I saw a fella cut the buds off with a sharp knife, when the calf was little. Has anyone ever heard of this or done it?

lineman-up":1ny9gz1o said:
i have some six week old calves and am thinking of using dehorning paste but just wanted to know what some more experienced people think of it. i am green as heck at raising calves so if i sound stupid i apologize. thanks for any help in advance.

I would not use the paste. I tried that once, led to an infection, maggots, and real nasty. I use a electric dehorner, just did it yesterday, works really good, when you wean the calves, about 2-3 months old, have to do it when it is still a button, not a true horn that breaks the skin. Works real slick, I have never had a problem doing it this way.

GMN

Latest posts