does carrier bearing help on bush hog pto

Help Support CattleToday:

scf84

Reaction score
im needing a 10ft pull behind bush hog. im seeing more local in my price range with just a one piece pto without the carrier bearing. the pto shafts are fairly long and looks like it could wobble without the carrier bearing. i have never ran either style so i dont have any idea. the only pull behind i have ran is a 5ft and it wobbles like crazy but it has a square style pto and a adapter on it on the gearbox that aint helping matter either.

I have an 8 foot pull behind Bush Hog brand rotary cutter. It has a carrier bearing. If it didn't the PTO shaft would be excessively long. It still vibrates. I notice the tower that holds the carrier bearing is where the vibration is most noticable.

No expert by any means but vibration is caused by unequal lengths of shafts and thus the advent of the "Constant Velocity" joint. The vibration comes from different rotational speeds caused by such so the CV makes the turn with equal lengths.

3 pts. it doesn't matter as the angle is seldom more than a few degrees (vertical) and the vibration is exponentially a function of the size of the angle between drive and driven shafts.

My Previous JD 530 baler had a non CV jointed shaft but came with a drawbar extender and special connection forcing you to use the extender when using both the JD 1209 swather and the baler. Reason was equalizing shaft lengths to reduce vibration. The 1209 had a carrier bearing very near the PTO connector since the drive line was like 6'. The 1209, with the extender cut a 90* corner with no uncut crop and no noticeable vibration in the turn meaning you didn't have to come back and do your X across the field and pick up your corners and you weren't going to tear up your drive line.

The current baler is a JD 375, (half the bale weight of the 530) and has a CV joint at the tractor PTO connector.

Not a shredder per se, but a couple of examples of how JD decided to attack the problem. HTH.

Texasmark. Thanks.

This is an interesting topic for me. I bought a used Bush Hog and had vibration problems. As you can see, I replaced the front PTO shaft and it helped a lot. But I have concluded that there is going to be some level of vibration. The shaft in front and behind the carrier bearing are about the same length.

Bright Raven said:
Texasmark. Thanks.

This is an interesting topic for me. I bought a used Bush Hog and had vibration problems. As you can see, I replaced the front PTO shaft and it helped a lot. But I have concluded that there is going to be some level of vibration. The shaft in front and behind the carrier bearing are about the same length.

Apparently there is more to do with it than the shaft(s) on the implement. The 530 baler had a single shaft with a U joint on each end. May also have to do with the location of the rear tires (ground contact) vs the length of the drawbar for the second "shaft" dimension. Otherwise I see no need for the drawbar extension used with the JD machines mentioned.

On a 2 shaft device, add the tractor PTO shaft as mentioned and you have 3 shafts. Don't know what the speed sharing effect is on that, whether is splits the load and reduces the vibration or enhances the problem. I really doubt an OEM implement producer would put the second shaft in your unit if it didn't enhance performance.

Texasmark said:
Bright Raven said:
Texasmark. Thanks.

Apparently there is more to do with it than the shaft(s) on the implement. The 530 baler had a single shaft with a U joint on each end. May also have to do with the location of the rear tires (ground contact) vs the length of the drawbar for the second "shaft" dimension. Otherwise I see no need for the drawbar extension used with the JD machines mentioned.

On a 2 shaft device, add the tractor PTO shaft as mentioned and you have 3 shafts. Don't know what the speed sharing effect is on that, whether is splits the load and reduces the vibration or enhances the problem. I really doubt an OEM implement producer would put the second shaft in your unit if it didn't enhance performance.

Appreciate your response. I have thought one of the stump jumpers is out of balance. Replacing the shaft from the carrier bearing to the tractor PTO helped a bunch. I suspect it was bent.

Bending PTO shafts is a big problem on 3 pt mounted mowers. Gotta really watch your max full up position of the implement when the lift lever is in the full up position. Accidents happen and I am as guilty as anyone else. After you bend a few you put that in your mental priority list when attaching.

Bright Raven said:
Texasmark. Thanks.

Buy one of these to replace the front PTO u-joint and most of your vibration will be gone. It is there to keep vibration down on the shaft in sharp turns. When turning with out one of these the shaft moves in and out and will put a lot of strain on the inner gears of the tractor for the PTO.
https://www.agrisupply.com/7108722-g08-constant-velocity/p/109806/?utm_source=Shopzilla&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=MerchAdv&zmam=77232640&zmas=1&zmac=15&zmap=109806

hurleyjd said:
Bright Raven said:
Texasmark. Thanks.

Buy one of these to replace the front PTO u-joint and most of your vibration will be gone. It is there to keep vibration down on the shaft in sharp turns. When turning with out one of these the shaft moves in and out and will put a lot of strain on the inner gears of the tractor for the PTO.
https://www.agrisupply.com/7108722-g08-constant-velocity/p/109806/?utm_source=Shopzilla&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=MerchAdv&zmam=77232640&zmas=1&zmac=15&zmap=109806

Thank you. I will do that.

I have one of those 3 pt 5 bushel seed slingers and you really have to watch your 'max up' position with it.
Seen lots of driveshafts with the plastic shaft safety shroud worn in half because of contact between shaft and
implement braces or other parts...

Latest posts