does anyone use fleckvieh

Help Support CattleToday:

trin

Reaction score
does anyone in the us use fleckvieh simm to cross with and if so whats the pros and cons

We've only used one. Autobahn from Select Sires. We finally got a daughter from him this year so I won;t know how they do, but the steers grow well and are the tenderest meat I've ever eaten.

A lot of the Purebred bulls listed in sire books have some Fleck in them (even the blacks). Some breeders use Fleck bulls on solid black, polled cows and get awesome thick, clean fronted black calves. There are quite a few Fleck bulls in the books.

is there any calving problems when you use these bulls? what would be your advatages over just regular simm

trin":ypbpibur said:
is there any calving problems when you use these bulls? what would be your advatages over just regular simm

Fleckvieh or Full Fleck, are "regular" Simenthal

Everything else is crossbred somehow

trin":zr4oxj3q said:

Their is no advantage in using fleck bulls except calving difficulties / sorry API's & TI's / Milk Fever / Too much frame = discount at the Yard / low lean / and sorry feed conversions

I recommend using PB Simms

I see edr likes fullbloods about as much as I do.
But, there are "some" Flecks with decent EPD's - you have to pick & choose. What are you wanting to breed a Fleck bull to?
If put on cows that do NOT carry a spotting gene - they won't be spotted. (but the offspring will be a spotting gene carrier).
If put on cows that do NOT carry the horn gene - they won't be horned.
Flecks tend to be heavier muscled than PB - but with that, you can get major calving issues unless you are careful on your selection. They also tend to have very heavy front ends - which I do not like.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":b1sgejxy said:
I see edr likes fullbloods about as much as I do.
But, there are "some" Flecks with decent EPD's - you have to pick & choose. What are you wanting to breed a Fleck bull to?
If put on cows that do NOT carry a spotting gene - they won't be spotted. (but the offspring will be a spotting gene carrier).
If put on cows that do NOT carry the horn gene - they won't be horned.
Flecks tend to be heavier muscled than PB - but with that, you can get major calving issues unless you are careful on your selection. They also tend to have very heavy front ends - which I do not like.

Oops I forgot a few advantages -- like the spotting gene and the diluter gene which is attributed to rat-tailed cattle. You are right, Autobahn isnt too bad on the numbers, but that is just 1 out of 200,000 flecks

Not all fullblood simms are fleckvieh. Fleckvieh simms are just one type of fullblood...from Germany I think...so you have other to choose from.

Watertondifter":3t89im9c said:
Not all fullblood simms are fleckvieh. Fleckvieh simms are just one type of fullblood...from Germany I think...so you have other to choose from.

How many other Fullblood Sims are in this country. That line has been quoted here before but is not DEFENSIBLE, since no others are offered, just talked about.

So, what are they and where are they. If the only place they exist is in Germany or if there is not a viable population in this country, it is a moot point.

In other words,PUT UP OR SHUT UP. :cowboy:

I used several fullblood Fleckvieh and Fleckvieh-influenced Simmental bulls in my breeding program 20 years ago - ABR Sir Arnold G809, ABR Sir Arnold's Image, and DS Pollfleck(a G809 son). All were low-birthweight/calving ease bulls, and sired very good cows that are still well-represented by their offspring in my herd today.
At that time - the late 80s - the Fleckvieh bulls were of more moderate frame than many of those big frame score 9-10 French & Swiss Simmentals, and had heavier muscling - my reason for using them.
In the meantime, the Simmental folks have come a long, long way in reducing frame score and calving difficulties - at the last few bull test sales I've been to, the Simmentals are often the smallest-framed bulls there - but still have plenty of muscle & bone.

Since the 'market' wants black hides, we're breeding Angus for a while - will probably come back on those high % Angus cows with a Simmental bull - probably a black one 8>( - at some point.

The 'right' Fleckvieh bull could do wonders for some cowherds around here.

trin":3hph1rpr said:

Uh yeah that is why I have never used them. I try to stay away from any fleck bloodlines. My dad raised flecks once and every year he had to pull at least 10 calves out of 50. He decided after I went off to college and couldnt help anymore that he didnt like flecks anymore and started raising sim angus. He says he sleeps better at night.

Latest posts