Does anyone remember....

Help Support CattleToday:

My mother raises bantam hens and crosses them with a flashy game rooster. One of the offspring this year, a rooster, inherited the skills of the game rooster with the scrapping ability of the bantam. Needless to say he took to flogging some of the other roosters so bad he broke one of thems neck (another story). Anyway she did him in to eat. Tasted great but tougher than shoe leather and he was a young bird.

Crooked neck, as we call him, is the rooster that got the broken neck from the now deceased and eaten rooster. He lived through the ordeal but now his neck is twisted around where his head is actually upside down when he walks around. He fends for himself and when he pecks insects off the ground his beak is actually facing his tail and he pecks the ground beside him. That sucker is tough and still defends himself in a rooster tussle. A few weeks ago a fox got him and carried him through the neighbors yard. They live about 400 yards away. It was about 5 in the morning and the neighbor lady was fixing coffee and saw the fox carrying the struggling rooster in his mouth across her yard. I guess ol crooked neck got in a good spurring somewhere because the fox dropped him in their yard and retreated back to my parents house and got a small young hen. By this time my Dad hears the commotion from the other hens and proceeds to turn the fox inside out with a load of #2 buckshot from his auto 5.

HOSS":200gekqn said:
My mother raises bantam hens and crosses them with a flashy game rooster. One of the offspring this year, a rooster, inherited the skills of the game rooster with the scrapping ability of the bantam. Needless to say he took to flogging some of the other roosters so bad he broke one of thems neck (another story). Anyway she did him in to eat. Tasted great but tougher than shoe leather and he was a young bird.

Crooked neck, as we call him, is the rooster that got the broken neck from the now deceased and eaten rooster. He lived through the ordeal but now his neck is twisted around where his head is actually upside down when he walks around. He fends for himself and when he pecks insects off the ground his beak is actually facing his tail and he pecks the ground beside him. That sucker is tough and still defends himself in a rooster tussle. A few weeks ago a fox got him and carried him through the neighbors yard. They live about 400 yards away. It was about 5 in the morning and the neighbor lady was fixing coffee and saw the fox carrying the struggling rooster in his mouth across her yard. I guess ol crooked neck got in a good spurring somewhere because the fox dropped him in their yard and retreated back to my parents house and got a small young hen. By this time my Dad hears the commotion from the other hens and proceeds to turn the fox inside out with a load of #2 buckshot from his auto 5.

HOSS now that's just funny. :lol2: :lol2:

Cal

Actually, the more exercise they get the tougher the meat. This is the main reason they confine meat chickens. I didn't confine mine as much as they should have been and although not tough, they are a little chewy.