does anyone know this bridge?

Help Support CattleToday:

alabama

Reaction score
I bet there are folks on here that know where this bridge is?
How would youlike to paint it?
It will cost 4 times as much to paint as it did to build.
It was built with 4 lanes ten foot wide with a sidewalk down the middle that ran under the pavement. Now it is 4 lanes 12 foot wide and the sidewalk is gone.
And it is in Alabama.

Bridges_6-08_SR-2000_006.jpg

Hmm. I have only been through Alabama once and only as far as Talladega; maybe we drove over it? We came in from Tennessee. :)

It is quite the structure though..

alabama":3aqx4a5g said:
It was built with 4 lanes ten foot wide with a sidewalk down the middle that ran under the pavement. Now it is 4 lanes 12 foot wide and the sidewalk is gone.
And it is in Alabama.

we got a two lane in our county like it. there fixing too replace it with a new one.. been across alot like it, but cant identify it....around montgomery on the alabama river?

It is not the Alabama river nor is it close to Montgomery.
The main span is a 3 span through truss but the approch spans are simple span deck trusses.
The old bridge that is just up stream from this one had what I call box trusses and cars ran on the bottom like a through truss but trains ran on top like a deck truss. Most of it was removed when this one was built in the 40's but some was saved as a park.

Looks like the bridge in Gadsden on the South side of Emma Samson's statue.

Or should I say reminds me of it because of the building on the hill in the background. I think that bridge is made of concrete.

Nice pic.

I was going to say Gadsden too. Looks like the bridge that goes over to the hospital but I don't think Gadsden is that pretty.

There is a through truss in Gadston but it is painted green and has no deck truss spans.

albamabbcomer.jpg
this is the bridge near me a two lane. you couldnt drive a 10 penny nail in my ass going over it in a 64 impala as a kid with oncoming traffic.. that was back when dash boards were metal and seat belts where a luxury :lol: that is good ol' sandmountain in the background. remember the song "tennessee river" and a mountain man by ALABAMA ;-)

ALACOWMAN":2sc8693x said:
albamabbcomer.jpg
this is the bridge near me a two lane. you couldnt drive a 10 penny nail in my ass going over it in a 64 impala as a kid with oncoming traffic.. that was back when dash boards were metal and seat belts where a luxury :lol: that is good ol' sandmountain in the background. remember the song "tennessee river" and a mountain man by ALABAMA ;-)
Guntersville Alabama, 7 miles from My house.

oscar p":10ni0ut5 said:
ALACOWMAN":10ni0ut5 said:
albamabbcomer.jpg
Guntersville Alabama, 7 miles from My house.
nope, close.. think up river a little

ALACOWMAN":120uk83s said:
albamabbcomer.jpg

Ala cow man: I think the bridge in your picture is AL-35 at Scottsburo. It may have been torn down by now. I think the new bridge is completed at that site.

that's it, the BB COMER... but its not down yet. their rerouting traffic on the newer one on the left right now.gonna reopen it again in a week or so, their gonna build a new one beside it . some ol timers will miss it. got alot of memories going too the mountain across that ol bridge :cry2:

alabama":2r4s4p4h said:
And it is in Alabama.

Hey Bama, Is that one of the bridges down in the Pheonix City AL area going into Columbus GA area? The park under the bridge looks familiar.

The bridge's central main span is 1,006 m (3,298 ft) long, its two side spans are each 408 m (1338 ft) long, and the approach viaducts are 252 m (827 ft) on the north side and 438 m (1,437 ft) on the south side; at a total length of 2,512 m (8,242 ft), it was the longest suspension bridge outside the United States and the fourth-largest in the world at the time of its construction. The bridge comprises 39,000 tons of steel and 115,000 cubic metres of concrete. Its width comprises a dual carriageway road with two lanes in each direction bounded by cycle/footpaths on each side. The main strung cables are 590 mm in diameter and each carries 13,800 tonnes of the bridge's load by suspending 11,618 5 mm diameter high tensile wires.[8][9]

The bridge forms a crucial part of the corridor between south-east and north-east Scotland, linking Edinburgh to Perth, Dundee and Aberdeen by the A90 road and its sister M90 motorway which begins a few miles north of the bridge's northern terminus. The bridge carried around 2.5 million vehicles in its first year but the annual figure has risen steadily over time to around 11.8 million vehicles in 2004 alone. The bridge carried its 250 millionth vehicle in 2002.[10]

It was awarded Historic Scotland's Category A listed structure status in 2001.

450px-ForthRoadBridgeFromNorth_Take.jpg
1400px-Firth_of_Forth_bridges_panor.jpg

I'd hate to have to paint this bridge, it is painted every day, apparently as soon as they finish painting it it needs starting again.

Latest posts