Does anyone else here keep British Whites? Need bull help!

Help Support CattleToday:

Well, I can't help you with this but, there is/was a breeder somewhere here in the state of Va. They brought a trailer load to the livestock market a year or so ago. They are some really pretty cattle. I like the looks of them. I had asked if they were getting rid of what they had and they were only getting rid of their culls. They had some that were straight/pure bred and some they were crossing with Black Angus.

Katherine

:help: My bro-in-law, who raises nice Angus in OR, has offered to lend or rent me a BA heifer-bull this year, rather than messing around w/ AI, as we are still figuring out our handling facility. And he raises good cattle -- sells a lot of bulls. FIrst calves for this particular bull should start hitting the ground next week.

My cows are British Whites. There are no other BW people near me -- for many miles. Somebody in the BW group told me that if we have calves from BW cows/bulls, that weighed over 55 lbs. birth weight, the bull should be shot. Well, I know my cows are smaller-framed than the Angus cows who routinely have 70 lb.+ calves. I'm really torn about whether or not to accept the kind offer . . . . . I think it's the wrong thing for me to do.

Sounds like you need my coming 2 highland bull.

Calves from my herd bull were around 50#. He is around 1200#. Maybe 7 yo.

I do not raise British Whites, but have seen them used in commercial herds. I think you should take your brother-in-law up on his offer. You will get good calves. Some of your calves, if not all will be marked exactly like your BW cows (white with black points). The 55lb birth weight seems ridiculous, to me. If they have to be that small for the cow to have them, the cow needs to be burger. The bull is only half the equation, the heifer will control the birth weight too. Just my opinion.

Why not have a pelvic measurement done on the heifers? It will give you alot better idea of what size calf they are actaully capable of having.
One thing to consider also is that heterosis starts at conception not birth. The calve from a BW AN will probably be a little bigger then from and AN sired by an AN

dun":6nprzire said:
Why not have a pelvic measurement done on the heifers? It will give you alot better idea of what size calf they are actaully capable of having.
One thing to consider also is that heterosis starts at conception not birth. The calve from a BW AN will probably be a little bigger then from and AN sired by an AN

Good idea, Dun -- check those pin bone measurements. I did get a response from a BW breeder in MO via PM. Will talk to him a little -- he often breeds his first-timers to Jersey bulls. For now, I'm not going to commit, until I have more info all together in one sock.

Thanks, all, for keeping my 'ol brain cycling! :)

I live near Spokane and have dabbled in a few BW's. I wonder if you called when I advertised one on Craigslist? Was a gal near Ellensburg.

Anyway, I have a BW heifer who was bred accidentally at 6 months before I got her. She calved at 15 months - a 73 pounder! Took a hard pull, but was impressive that she didn't need a c-section. So having a 70 pounder at the usual 2 years of age shouldn't be an issue. Of course there is individual variation.

This heifer isn't real big either, maybe frame 3. AI bred her 3 weeks ago AI to a small frame red angus, and she seems to be not coming into heat, so hopefully it stuck. I'm stealing a couple quarts of milk daily from her, but she's still almost looking fat - early maturing and easy keeper.

There is a breeder near Yakima, and I know another guy this direction who's starting up. PM me if you want more info.

Kathie in Thorp":2n4glej5 said:
Hi, djinwa! Yes, I think we've talked within the last couple of months about that girl -- you were looking for a "real" milk cow ?? Maybe we should talk, again! :)

I do have a couple hereford/jersey heifer calves coming along, but I started stealing from this BW heifer and realized for just the wife and I, she gave enough. Just need alittle milk to get those oatmeal raisin cookies down! But considering how young she still is, I expect next year she'll give more.

BTW, I was told in her herd of origin, birthweight of calves average around 70 pounds. So she was around that even at an early age, probably because I had read about the stunting of heifers who calve too young, and so maybe I fed her too well.

Sometimes neglect is good.

I've also wondered if that stunting idea is backwards. Does the early calving stunt them, or did they cycle and calve early because they were smaller framed and earlier maturing to begin with?

Latest posts