Does Anybody Know?

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl_up_47

Reaction score
Does anybody know if you can feed cattle the horse supplement Sho Glo? I thought about supplementing the show cows with it, but want to be sure it is safe.

This is what it says about it:

This all-in-one supplement enhances the nutritional value of any feed and contains yeast culture for optimal digestion, 10 chelated minerals, and 14 vitamins, including antioxidants vitamins E & C for a healthy immune system. Contains more vitamins and minerals than Clovite® and Vita Plus® and costs less per day. As a horse's activity level increases, its nutrient requirements can also increase. Sho-Glo® can provide the necessary minerals and vitamins to meet the increased demand of an active horse. Feed 1-2 oz. per day for mature horses, half that amount for foals.

Nutritional Information

Crude Protein Min ...........12.00 %
Crude Fat Min ..................2.50 %
Crude Fiber Max .............15.00 %
Calcium Min .....................7.50 %
Calcium Max ....................8.50 %
Phosphorus Min ................4.00 %
Salt ..........................None Added
Magnesium Min .................0.50%
Potassium Min ...................1.00%
Cobalt .......................Min 88 ppm
Copper Min ....................880 ppm
Iodine Min ...................7,700 ppm
Manganese Min ............2,900 ppm
Selenium Min ................17.6 ppm
Zinc Min ......................3,160 ppm
Vitamin A Min ..........600,000 IU/lb
Vitamin D Min ............70,000 IU/lb
Vitamin E Min ..............1,600 IU/lb
Riboflavin Min ...............375 mg/lb
d-Pantothenic Acid Min ...250 mg/lb
Thiamine Min .................250 mg/lb
Niacin Min ...................2,000 mg/lb
Vitamin B Min .................100 mg/lb
Folic Acid Min ...................30 mg/lb
Choline Min .................3,600 mg/lb
Ascorbic Acid Min .............50 mg/lb

Ingredients:
Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, Wheat Middlings, Distillers Dried Grains with Solubles, Soybean Meal, Cane Molasses, Vegetable Oil, Dried Whey, Yeast Culture, Calcium Carbonate, Monocalcium Phosphate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Magnesium Oxide, Ferrous Carbonate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Manganous Oxide, Manganese Amino Acide Chelate, Zinc Oxide, Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Carbonate, Calcium Iodate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Vitamin E Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex, Ascorbic Acid, Thiamine Mononitrate, Riboflavin Supplement, Niacin Supplement, Choline Chloride, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydroch

I wouldn't, get the mix that is for cattle. I don't know for sure if it would hurt, but I know what would happen if you give a horse some cattle feed with rumensin in it. Not worth the risk.

Larry

I don't see a thing in the feed that would be harmful to cattle but do question why you wouldn't just look for a good supplement formulated for cattle. They are out there I'm sure. The fact that it's labeled for horses probably makes it about twice as expensive as a comparable supplement for cattle. If you're already feeding a good balanced feed to the cattle the additional vitamins and minerals are unnecessary. You might pour a little veg. fat over the grain mix or add a dry fat product and get equal or better results.

I see nothing in the feed iether that couldn't be fed, but I agree with TB and Larry. Get yourself a good beef show mix feed , the vitamins and mineral requirements are a little different for cattle and horses.

You are taking the time to get your cattle up to optimal condition, you might as well do it 100%. ;-)

Rumensin and decox can be deadly if fed to horses.

Latest posts