does anybody have purebreed Herefords besides me?

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

Purebreed Herefords are very calm,so thats why I have them! does anybody else have them? 8) :D :) :nod: :lol2: :mrgreen: :hat:

I have the best in HENRY county, IA. I used to have a Hereford bull that weighed 3,000 lbs, and stood 6ft. at shoulder! 8)

I've got two registered bulls sitting out in the barn. I keep them in a little silver corral swimming around in LN2. Calm, don't eat, never had a problem with them.

dun

ha! good one D. R. Cattle! oh did you know I'm in 5th grade and know a lot about cattle?!?!?! :cboy:

so u guys are agreeing that herefords are very low tempered cattle. i no that in any breed you will have some wild ones but generally they are pretty calm??? and has anyone eva showed herefords before?

joe

PINZ Farmer":1zohxkrh said:
so u guys are agreeing that herefords are very low tempered cattle. i no that in any breed you will have some wild ones but generally they are pretty calm??? and has anyone eva showed herefords before?

joe

in general, hereford cattle are known for their good temperaments. of course, there are always exceptions to the rule.

i showed as a junior & we still occasionally break heifers and bulls for consignment sales. you can usually have one halter-broke & walking in a day or two.

Make no mistake about it I have had my share of crazies through the years. Percentage just not near as high as when I ran F-1 tigers

Campground Cattle":1blb8fwv said:
Make no mistake about it I have had my share of crazies through the years. Percentage just not near as high as when I ran F-1 tigers

yes, we used to run brahman bulls on some of our cows....if either side has a "crazy gene", that cross seems to bring it out.

My small herd are all herefords. Love that breed. Anywho, my 8 year old was inquiring about showing at our county fair this year, joining 4H and such. Some friends of mine that show, say don't bother showing them, they never when anything unless they're crossed not so much at our fair but at other shows around (no body shows herefords at least pure bred at our county fair) crosses take it all. Why, i don't no. I don't want to disappoint her and for her to have a bad experience. I don't mind if she loses, because everyone needs to learn to be a graceful loser. But neither do I want her passed over because of the breed she's showing. Should I let her anyway?????

Its amazing at some of the things I have seen the Tigers do. Txag I you will understand, no can appreciate the tigers until you have penned a herd of Tigers

charlotte4":nkziav53 said:
My small herd are all herefords. Love that breed. Anywho, my 8 year old was inquiring about showing at our county fair this year, joining 4H and such. Some friends of mine that show, say don't bother showing them, they never when anything unless they're crossed not so much at our fair but at other shows around (no body shows herefords at least pure bred at our county fair) crosses take it all. Why, i don't no. I don't want to disappoint her and for her to have a bad experience. I don't mind if she loses, because everyone needs to learn to be a graceful loser. But neither do I want her passed over because of the breed she's showing. Should I let her anyway?????

we raise herefords and as much as i like them, i would almost have to agree with your friends. very seldom does any purebred steer (not just hereford but any purebred) win a county show in our area. but, that is not to say a hereford won't do well, it just may not win. if you're not set on winning grand champion but want your daughter to have a good learning experience, a hereford would probably work (& may be an excellent choice for a first steer because of temperament). if you want a better chance at winning & want to keep some hereford-influence, maybe try a hereford/angus or hereford/brangus.

Latest posts