Does anybody balance their checkbook anymore?

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":1t7is2r6 said:
1982vett":1t7is2r6 said:
M-5":1t7is2r6 said:
I might write one check a month , I know what my deposits are and verify all debits daily.
:lol: I'd rather put it on a credit card that has a good rewards program.....then make an online payment once a month rather than write a check. Going to a bank to make a deposit isnt as much fun as it once was either. :nod: I have embraced online banking to the point I dislike even using the banks drive thru.

I still enter transactions manually into quicken rather than have it download automatically. It's just simpler for me to do it regularly than go back later to look for and fix any errors.

I write very few checks except payroll. And my wife does the books, that still counts as balancing the books grit.
I do zero online banking. None I don't trust it.
Nsa could go through my computer and they would find nothing but cattle today and a few fishing forums.
I love credit cards with points. I buy all materials I can with credit cards the balance is paid off every month and the points can easily get into the 4 zeros a year.

you do know you have protection from fraudulent charges with a credit card do you??? " Whats in your wallet "

callmefence":1ha4uzzh said:
1982vett":1ha4uzzh said:
M-5":1ha4uzzh said:
I might write one check a month , I know what my deposits are and verify all debits daily.
:lol: I'd rather put it on a credit card that has a good rewards program.....then make an online payment once a month rather than write a check. Going to a bank to make a deposit isnt as much fun as it once was either. :nod: I have embraced online banking to the point I dislike even using the banks drive thru.

I still enter transactions manually into quicken rather than have it download automatically. It's just simpler for me to do it regularly than go back later to look for and fix any errors.

I write very few checks except payroll. And my wife does the books, that still counts as balancing the books grit.
Nsa could go through my computer and they would find nothing but cattle today and a few fishing forums.
I love credit cards with points. I buy all materials I can with credit cards the balance is paid off every month and the points can easily get into the 4 zeros a year.

I'm just like you fence, the only checks I write are for payroll, maybe one here or there a couple of times a year. No online banking, but verify my balance daily via phone, I keep track of checks not cleared. Everything is paid via credit card that gives points and card balance paid off monthly via bank transfer. Those points add up and are great for travel and merchandise. A few years back we used some of them to fly first class to Hawaii....... talk about a big hog at the trough. :lol2:

Alan":10soduaa said:
callmefence":10soduaa said:
1982vett":10soduaa said:

I'm just like you fence, the only checks I write are for payroll, maybe one here or there a couple of times a year. No online banking, but verify my balance daily via phone, I keep track of checks not cleared. Everything is paid via credit card that gives points and card balance paid off monthly via bank transfer. Those points add up and are great for travel and merchandise. A few years back we used some of them to fly first class to Hawaii....... talk about a big hog at the trough. :lol2:

We put hardwood floors in the house one year.
(American express gives home depot gift cards)

And thanks to my cabalas visa
As soon as I get time to drive up to Waco I'm going tear the front doors oughta cabalas. :nod:

Brute 23":328qifu3 said:
If your money is in a bank... it's tracked... and can be hacked. Whether you bank online or not has zero effect on any thing.

That's why you put it under fence post.
I just wish I could remember which ones...shoulda put a map t in the computer I guess.

I budget all bills/expenses by pay period. Leave some room for misc expenses.
The only thing I reconcile is the farm expense log vs farm account at the end of the year to make sure I didn't miss any receipts for tax purposes.

I think the better question would be "Who even uses CHEQUES anymore?"

I write about 2 or 3 a year.. most everything else is on credit card paid off monthly... wrote 1 cheque last weekend at the auction, will write one for seed soon (3% surcharge on CC purchase there).

Anything other than hard cash transactions are tracked, so it doesn't matter how you pay other than cash, "it" knows about it.

callmefence":35wno2fa said:
Brute 23":35wno2fa said:
If your money is in a bank... it's tracked... and can be hacked. Whether you bank online or not has zero effect on any thing.

I just wish I could remember which ones...shoulda put a map t in the computer I guess.

That's all you can do is burry it. When I was 19 all my bank accounts got froze because some one made a clerical error. My parents had to drive 3.5hrs to bring me cash and a debit card until we could get a lawyer on the At General. Almost a week later they were like... "Oops we are sorry. Its back on." :shock:

I'm young, 28. I keep a check register and write down everything. I reconcile it online 2x a month, when I get paid. I write several checks a month, my mortgage, to the church, and to whatever organizations my students are selling junk for.

Nesikep":2gqan9n1 said:

I write about 2 or 3 a year.. most everything else is on credit card paid off monthly... wrote 1 cheque last weekend at the auction, will write one for seed soon (3% surcharge on CC purchase there).

Anything other than hard cash transactions are tracked, so it doesn't matter how you pay other than cash, "it" knows about it.
I just use them at auctions and to pay order buyers. Its all my customers pay me with. Makes it especially tricky when banks put a hold on checks over $5000 for a week, I have to work around that most weeks too.

RanchMan90":28m4jaov said:
Nesikep":28m4jaov said:

I just use them at auctions and to pay order buyers. Its all my customers pay me with. Makes it especially tricky when banks put a hold on checks over $5000 for a week, I have to work around that most weeks too.

That is where a Bank Wire really pays off, on the large amounts. My brother and I learned that the hard way trying to buy some thing one time. We Wire every thing now. Same thing with money at the ranch for large purchases... Wire it to the working act and its ready to go.

Some banks are just goofy about the check holds. I have accounts at several different banks and I can write a check from one bank to the other and it takes up to 3 days but I write it from the one, to the other and they horror it immediately. Makes me want to close the account with the one that takes 3 days.

callmefence":r6wmc3h1 said:
Brute 23":r6wmc3h1 said:

No problem fence, just do a "wire" transfer. :hide:

yes the personal account, the farm account and the company account reconciled to the penny monthly. I keep a running balance of each in my head daily. No freaking wonder my memory is shot, my pea brain has reached the limits of its ability.

gizmom

I'm starting to use Paypal more now.. handy for international stuff.. Sold an oil pan and some tractor knicknacks to a fellow in Australia, paypal worked well, had the money in minutes