Does anybody balance their checkbook anymore?

Help Support CattleToday:

Simple answer, yes..... I balance every month but look and check the balance with my records 4 or 5 times a week...... cash control...... sorry sore spot with me and my kids....... how much money is in your account son? Answer they give me is around to nearest $100 the think it is.

Nope…and that's not how I was raised. My 86 year old mother balances to the penny monthly.

I hate when you write somebody a check, and they hold it more than a few days. Drives me crazy.

Balance checkbook......I use quicken to keep financial records....ALL accounts reconciled monthly.....yep

I haven't balanced a check book in 32 years and don't plan to start. My sweetie handles the books and pays the taxes, she knows to the penny what's what.

Nope. My wife does a great job keeping bills paid and money in the account. She's never balanced one. She checks the account online and knows how much goes where and when it went. There was a time when we couldn't have balanced our check book if we had wanted to. I tried many times and always ended with a negative number. I guess that is why we still don't balance it.

Not only do not balance the checkbook but if the wife didn't pay the bills they wound turn everything off. 4 checking accounts at 3 different banks and I couldn't tell you within 3,000 how much is in either account. I may be broke and don't know it.

I make a budget and then chart the actual expenses in excel. All the bank acts dowload to excel also. There is no need to reconcile a check book. Every thing is online quick. I get text messages every morning with act balances, have alarms for low balances, alarms for large transactions, alarms for deposits, etc. I can walk in and deposit a check... as I am walking out a text comes across showing it.

Bigfoot":11bw88a3 said:
I hate when you write somebody a check, and they hold it more than a few days. Drives me crazy.

Funny you say that. I have a tenant who is driving me nuts because I don't deposit his check immediately. I hate to go to the bank so if I know I have other checks coming in, I'll wait a few days (maybe 7-8 days tops, not months). He sends me emails after about 2 days. What the heck does it matter to him when I cash the check? I was taught that one balances one's checkbook and reconciles it when the bank statement comes. To me, it sounds like the tenant is relying on his bank to tell him how much $ he has in his account.
I had a roommate years ago. She'd pay me her share of the rent then if I didn't deposit it that day, her check would bounce. In her mind, it was my own fault she spent the rent money at the bar. (She'd stop at the atm, query the balance, and withdraw everything on the way to get drunk). Fun girl, terrible roommate!

RanchMan90":2c4pqc4s said:
Does anybody balance their checkbook anymore? What's the best way to record cash flow now?
Old habits are hard to break. I reconcile my personal account as well as farm account every month. Heck I still write down every check in the check register as well. :shock: :shock:

M-5":3a4bls0w said:
I might write one check a month , I know what my deposits are and verify all debits daily.
:lol: I'd rather put it on a credit card that has a good rewards program.....then make an online payment once a month rather than write a check. Going to a bank to make a deposit isnt as much fun as it once was either. :nod: I have embraced online banking to the point I dislike even using the banks drive thru.

I still enter transactions manually into quicken rather than have it download automatically. It's just simpler for me to do it regularly than go back later to look for and fix any errors.

1982vett":38phqfvk said:
M-5":38phqfvk said:
I might write one check a month , I know what my deposits are and verify all debits daily.
:lol: I'd rather put it on a credit card that has a good rewards program.....then make an online payment once a month rather than write a check. Going to a bank to make a deposit isnt as much fun as it once was either. :nod: I have embraced online banking to the point I dislike even using the banks drive thru.

I still enter transactions manually into quicken rather than have it download automatically. It's just simpler for me to do it regularly than go back later to look for and fix any errors.

I write very few checks except payroll. And my wife does the books, that still counts as balancing the books grit.
I do zero online banking. None I don't trust it.
Nsa could go through my computer and they would find nothing but cattle today and a few fishing forums.
I love credit cards with points. I buy all materials I can with credit cards the balance is paid off every month and the points can easily get into the 4 zeros a year.

callmefence":3svg0v5v said:
1982vett":3svg0v5v said:
M-5":3svg0v5v said:

I write very few checks except payroll. And my wife does the books, that still counts as balancing the books grit.
I do zero online banking. None I don't trust it.
Nsa could go through my computer and they would find nothing but cattle today and a few fishing forums.
I love credit cards with points. I buy all materials I can with credit cards the balance is paid off every month and the points can easily get into the 4 zeros a year.
Took a while for me to "trust" online banking too, but my confidence of the US Postal System to get my checks to and from a destination entact forced me to reconsider.

Helll. They can't seem to be bothered to bring packages to large for the mailbox to the house anymore. The just throw it on the ground by the cattle guard these days.

Latest posts