does any one remember this?????

Help Support CattleToday:

I was in school in the 70s and 80s, and i don't recall actually having a gun in class, but i remember gun and hunting safety being discussed by a wildlife ranger that came to school.

I remember we brought toy guns to elementary school to play at recess. One time, a boy brought a toy rifle that looked so realistic the principal examined it to be sure it was a toy. After he verified it was a toy, he handed it back with a smile and said it was ok.

I remember my 8th grade teacher took a cap gun from a student from someone in a class before mine because he was being disruptive with it. When my class entered, the teacher started firing it. Some of the students jumped out of their skin, but once we saw what was going on, it was no big deal. I'm sure an incident like that today would be on the news.

I also remember we had jerky and peanut sales in FFA. The highest salesman won a rifle. Those were the days.

Can you imagine TIME even printing a picture/story like that today?

We had guns in gunracks of pickups in our country school. Some kids ran a trap line in winter on the way to or from school.

This was in the early-mid 70's. A couple of the kids always showed up in their Grandpa's 1962 Ford F100 uni-body. They had 15 miles of county gravel road to get to school. If the weather was bad, they came in their dad's 1974 Chevy 4x4.

The old F100 was a ranch pickup but a good body and no rust on it. Had what must have been one of the first automatic transmissions I'd ever seen in a pickup. Don't know what became of it. Might be worth something today in restored condition. ;-)

herofan":1lb5fk3p said:
I also remember we had jerky and peanut sales in FFA. The highest salesman won a rifle. Those were the days.
Here the 4H and FFA raffles are always for a shotgun or a rifle

I graduated (they wouldn't have kept me if I had made a F in every subject anyway) in 1987. We shot crossbows at the light poles on the football field at lunch.
If there had been a school shooting it would have been short lived as most every truck had some sort of firepower in it and plenty of ammo.

I remember it all to well. Now their fencing the school in and installing metal detectors at the gates. I am thinking about joining the Sheriffs auxiliary so I can carry concealed at the football games.
We're letting the bad guys win. This is BS.

I don't recall many rifles in trucks at school, but I know in boy scouts we did a lot of shooting. Firearm safety was drilled into us at an early age and there wasn't much intrigue as to what a gun did because we all knew.

Two things:

1. I was in elementary school during the 1950s. Every boy I knew carried a pocket knife all of the time, including at school.

2. I was in the 7th grade in 1957. We always had a Christmas gift exchange in our class. I bought my friend a tri-pointed, razor sharp hunting arrow for the exchange. No one, including the teacher, thought that was odd.

In all of the years that I attended school, never once did I ever hear about an armed assault on anyone.

Tom in TN

I like seeing pictures of kids when they all looked normal and dressed for school. I had to wear a shirt with a collar to school. And dang sure didn't wear earrings or have any tattoos. And the whole class stood and faced the flag, and put right arm over their heart and said the Pledge of Allegiance. "I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands, one Nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all"

We had a special interest hour in school. Chess club, sporting club, quilting and the like. We had an hour for this. I was in the sports club and remember we carried our guns to class to compare and talk about. Teacher was really good. Granted we couldn't carry bullets. During hunting season there were many vehicles in the parking lot with deer rifles and shotguns. No one ever thought much about it. Most viewed the guns like one would a baseball bat or a football in the vehicle. Just a thing. No one ever got shot either but back then if you shot someone you would get to sit in the electric chair which is quite a deterrent not matter what the liberals say.

Ryder":1r45smay said:
Jogeephus you had advantages I didn't have. If I had the opportunity I think I would have opted for quilting club.
I would think that is where the most girls would have been. :heart:
Be kinda like being a male cheerleader. Ever wonder where there hand is?

Latest posts