Does any automatic headgate work manually too?

Help Support CattleToday:

ufo_chris

Reaction score
Hello,I'm going to buy a squeeze chute but have some horned cattle also. So I guess the automatic would be set of by the horns a lot.
I read somewhere that an automatic head gate can also be operated manually. Is that true for all?
I'm looking at the TSC auto catch chute.
(the gut at TSC told me yes ,but they are not always right!)
And if it works both ways,why would anyone pick an only manual headgate,costs the same from what I've seen.
Thanks,Chris

yes you can get squeeze chutes with manual or auto headgates.i have a preifert S04 chute.

All of the automatics I've seen work both ways. Have the guy at TSC show you how they work both ways.

I have a Powder River chute with an automatic headgate similar to the one's sold by TSC. It will handle horned cattle but I hate trying to work any thing with horns of any size. It's a pain to catch horned cattle. Buying a Preifert chute is high on my list of things to do.

My advise is to buy a Preifert chute. They have a manual head gate or combo auto/manual. The "rancher" model with the combo headgate should not cost but 2-300 more than the TSC. IMO it will be some of the best money you can spend.

Do a CT search for squeeze chute as this has been discussed several times. There are several here that have Preifert chutes. In my research, I have not encountered any one who has any significant dissatisfaction with their Preifert chute. Can't say that about any other brand and I have talked to owners of many different chutes.

my S04 squeeze chute will handle horned cattle with no probs.we ran some through last week that had good sized horns with no prob.an we used the manual head catch on it.everything we worked walked out through the head gate.only used the side exit to see it work.

I have the Tractor Supply Chute. Yes, you can operate it manually, very easy.
Also important is that it is easy to adjust the opening width, just pull the pins and slide the sides in or out.

I just worked 28 head on Tuesday. Sizes ranging from a few days old to some really big ones.

The TSC chute is a medium duty unit but it serves all my needs very well. And the price is right. Others I priced were $1200 to $1500 more.

If I had it to do over I would go with the S04 vs the S01. I prefer the rear gate on the S01 but the S04 had 5 inches more inside width and with some of our widebodys it's a mighty snug fit

Hello,Thanks so much for your answers.
Bigbull,reason I asked is because I know it says it comes with either or, but if the auto one works manually also ,why wouldn't anybody NOT get that one?
Ok,the TSC one,they don't keep them in stock here so no demo,I have to order it .
I did do a search on chutes here but did not get my question answered,that's why I posted this.
The TSC one is 1899 and I have a coupon that gives me $100 off so will be $1799. The Priefert Rancher is $2350 (and it says it comes with either auto OR manual headgate?) so the difference is $550. That's quite a bit ,is it worth it? What is the difference? Is it built out of thicker pipe?
The features seem the same.
I only have 5 head right now, might go up to double that but that's it. Would not get used that much but for vetting and stuff I have to do,worming,few shots etc. to keep everyone safe.
Thanks,Chris

The prifert auto head gate works slick. It's set up a little different then the manual. A firnd of mine insists on using ours manually and occasioanlly misses one. Using the auto I've never missed one.
I posted a series of pictures and an explanation on how to use the auto one a couple of years ago.

Chris

Here's a link to the priefert website:

http://www.priefert.com/products/Cattle ... del-91_35/

There is an excellent video showing how the headgate works. Also you might consider a headgate only instead of a squeeze for a small herd.

IMO- the extra cost for a Priefert auto/manual will be worth it. You might check with several different Priefert dealers as some are more competitve than others. The best prices I've seen are 30% below the list price shown on Priefert's site. A 20% discount is very common. The best "regular" prices I've seen are at Atwoods stores. Don't think they have any stores in your neighborhood. You might google them and see where their nearest store is.

I plan on buying a Priefert this fall and selling my Powder River. BTW- the brown ones TSC sells are almost carbon copies of the Powder River.

BTW-If you want come to Texas, I'll make you a deal on a Powder River with the carrier trailer included.

Best wishes

Latest posts