does a cow need company?

Help Support CattleToday:

DCortez

Reaction score
Recently purchased some land and plan to plop a cow (angus) on it. Will one be okay, or should I get a pair? I won't have time this year to do much more than feed and check for obvious health issues. The cow will have access to a large lake.

Also, How often should the cow have a vet visit?

They are herd animals and will do better with company. A single may try to find some friends by covering a lot of country, not necesarrily "your" country.
What kind of "cow" are you referring to. Cow with a calf, cow to have calves, steer, etc.?

I'm not really sure yet Dun, at this point, I'd probably buy someone's old pet cow. :lol2:

We may try our hand at something bigger next year as we have 50 acres.

DCortez":2896i38x said:
I'm not really sure yet Dun, at this point, I'd probably buy someone's old pet cow. :lol2:

We may try our hand at something bigger next year as we have 50 acres.

Get her a buddy and it will go a lot easier. Maybe a steer so you can eat it later and get another steer to keep her compnay. BTW, cows really don;t make very good pets.

Will make it a pair. I thought about the mini cattle out there, but they seem to be expensive and more fashionable than practical. Emu, Alpaca, and Ostrich came to mind.

How often should they see a vet?

DCortez":1pn8iytb said:
How often should they see a vet?
Depends on what you get. At least once a year unless you do the vaccinations and wormings yourself. Twice a year is better for the routine stuff.

I purchased a halter broke heifer from a kid at the fair and only had the one. It was very tame and handled well. I had it AI'ed and had a calf last year.

Latest posts