dodged a bullet

Help Support CattleToday:

pdfangus

Reaction score
I really dodged a bullet last night....
well it might have been worse than a bullet....

My barn and stable have not had any lights since we had the barn fire in 2003.

so this time of year I am normally doing chores by flashlight...I have several lights good and bad of many types...

sometimes I will crank the tractor and use the tractor lights if I have something to do...

Recently I tripped over my portable generator in the dark and realized that if I had a couple of work lights I could use the generator which would keep it running regularly which is always beneficial to small engines and see what I was doing at night...

I ordered some work lights from Northern Tool and got them on Friday...over the weekend I put them together and placed them...hooked up the generator and the damned thing would not run even though I just got it out of the shop a few weeks ago....

had jelly in the carburetor bowl even though I put fuel stabilizer in every can of gas....now have to dump the gas and clean the carburetor...will try to do that tomorrow....

anyhow last night I had fed the heifers in the big barn and had them in the headlocks...fed the goats in thier stall...I fed the horses in the stable, put out hay for the horses....the heifers still have grass....I mixed feed for tonight, fed the chickens....left the big light in the stable and went to the cow barn to turn out the heifers and the goats and was just wearing my headlight which is only good for close work....

I caught a glimpse of something white and looked down and I was about to boot a skunk right in the ass....next step would have kicked it...I immediately back pedaled and remarkably enough it did not raise its tail...but then I could not find it again....knew it was in the barn somewhere but I have no idea where it went...

Thank goodness I had left the dogs in the house because Marie had said that there had been hounds running across and around the place all day long and our dogs feel obligated to chase them off....and Apache looks enough like a coyote that I don't want to risk getting him shot....if he had been with me I would be hating life now as he tackles anything that is in his domain.

I'd say you dodged something worse than a bullet. I was hit point blank by one of those things and I can tell you what you smell on the road or around the barnyard isn't anything compared to what it smells like when they gas you good. Its horrible.

yeah....we have had several dogs get it and bring it into the house....

had one spray on the front porch one time....

it is horrible....

When I got sprayed I was no more than three foot from the demon and it felt like oily pellets hitting me in the mouth and face. The stench was so bad I could breathe. I gagged and puked and wanted to just hold my breath so I didn't have to smell it. Ended up burning my clothes and had to sleep on the porch for three nights till the stench finally wore off even though I tried every remedy known to man. It was awful.

pdfangus":27fxsd6k said:
I really dodged a bullet last night....
well it might have been worse than a bullet....

My barn and stable have not had any lights since we had the barn fire in 2003.

so this time of year I am normally doing chores by flashlight...I have several lights good and bad of many types...

sometimes I will crank the tractor and use the tractor lights if I have something to do...

Recently I tripped over my portable generator in the dark and realized that if I had a couple of work lights I could use the generator which would keep it running regularly which is always beneficial to small engines and see what I was doing at night...

I ordered some work lights from Northern Tool and got them on Friday...over the weekend I put them together and placed them...hooked up the generator and the damned thing would not run even though I just got it out of the shop a few weeks ago....

had jelly in the carburetor bowl even though I put fuel stabilizer in every can of gas....now have to dump the gas and clean the carburetor...will try to do that tomorrow....

anyhow last night I had fed the heifers in the big barn and had them in the headlocks...fed the goats in thier stall...I fed the horses in the stable, put out hay for the horses....the heifers still have grass....I mixed feed for tonight, fed the chickens....left the big light in the stable and went to the cow barn to turn out the heifers and the goats and was just wearing my headlight which is only good for close work....

I caught a glimpse of something white and looked down and I was about to boot a skunk right in the be nice....next step would have kicked it...I immediately back pedaled and remarkably enough it did not raise its tail...but then I could not find it again....knew it was in the barn somewhere but I have no idea where it went...

Thank goodness I had left the dogs in the house because Marie had said that there had been hounds running across and around the place all day long and our dogs feel obligated to chase them off....and Apache looks enough like a coyote that I don't want to risk getting him shot....if he had been with me I would be hating life now as he tackles anything that is in his domain.

That good you avoided it... 2nd if your using 87 in your small engines stop and use only high test that will help with the gum up problems in the carbs some.

my niece and her roommate were going back to college from a holiday in a small car and hit one....
of course they were hauling nearly all the clothes they owned....
the other people nearly ran them out of the dormitory when they got there...

I have shot tons of them that were caught in coyote traps. I was always careful about which way they were aimed before I pulled the trigger.
I once had a similar incident as PDF. Walked around the corner of the shed and nearly stepped on one. I sure backed up in a hurry. That one lived under the tool shed for a couple of years. I never had any mice during that time but if I got to banging around too loudly in the shed I would catch just a slight whiff of him. I always figure that was him telling me to keep the noise down.

'feet, don't fail me now...'

Of all the places I wouldn't have thought skunks would be a problem, they have completely over run Bolivar Peninsula, especially Crystal Beach area.

Stocker Steve":1kc38tyd said:
Jogeephus":1kc38tyd said:
even though I tried every remedy known to man. It was awful.

got to leverage your feminine side and douche all over

If the douche was gasoline lit with a match I think you may be on something. Seems every relative in three counties had a remedy but none worked. I imagine setting myself afire might have done the trick or at least spared me days of agony. Of course after a few hours I didn't think I stunk anymore but others thought different.

Stocker Steve":3rg7rrt5 said:
Jogeephus":3rg7rrt5 said:
even though I tried every remedy known to man. It was awful.

got to leverage your feminine side and douche all over

No joke.
It works great. Must be a lot of research behind it.
But, you will get some strange looks when you check out with a couple bottles of your favorite scent...

I think I'll stick with the gasoline.

I say that now but if I ever get sprayed like that again I'd probably give it a try if you say it works. Anything is better than stinking like a skunk. That stuff is vile.

pdfangus":1bkw2qne said:

it is horrible....

Oh yes! This past July, 3 days before our big "July 4th" party, one of those devils sprayed the house! It got part of the door, and the area next to the door under the window. :shock: The same door at the kitchen, where we go in and out of, and the only entrance we can use at "party time". I used THE formula of dawn, baking soda & peroxide, but it did not work nearly as well as it does on dogs. :(

Workinonit Farm":3gg3kts1 said:
pdfangus":3gg3kts1 said:

it is horrible....

Oh yes! This past July, 3 days before our big "July 4th" party, one of those devils sprayed the house! It got part of the door, and the area next to the door under the window. :shock: The same door at the kitchen, where we go in and out of, and the only entrance we can use at "party time". I used THE formula of dawn, baking soda & peroxide, but it did not work nearly as well as it does on dogs. :(

I can pretty well assure you if you get hit point blank there is no magical treatment. All of the things help including cheap perfume but only time will eliminate it. In my case it was three days before they let me in the house.

On the gasoline; as Sky suggested by the high test, non-ethanol. For your small gas engines that do not get regular use.........go to your local airport and buy 5 gallons of Avgas. Mix it 10 or 20% with the auto gas. Works better than OTC fuel stabilizers. We just started an aircraft that had been sitting dormant since 1995. Avgas is forever.

Latest posts