Dodge

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno

Reaction score
All the TB :bs: aside been looking at a 3/4 ton FWD with the big Hemi.
Haven't owned anything but Ford in a work truck for the last 21 years.

The good and the bad on them .
Are the front ends any good? I have to travel a rough road in and out.

Caustic Burno":pfipkaur said:
All the TB :bs: aside been looking at a 3/4 ton FWD with the big Hemi.
Haven't owned anything but Ford in a work truck for the last 21 years.

The good and the bad on them .
Are the front ends any good? I have to travel a rough road in and out.

2nd gen were notorious for front end and dash issues 94-03 3rd gen 04-09 are good trucks 4th gen 10- current the same , there are lemons in every make and that's the folks you hear bashing them, Ive owned every gen and I drive 40 to 50k a year and have not traded anything with less than 250k on them. my current 10 4wd 5.7 hemi that I bought in 13 has 155k . I have only changed the oil in it and on the 3rd set of tires . That's it

I am not going back with diesel no advantage for me anymore.
The gasoline power plants seem to belong to Dodge and GM from what you see on the road here.

M-5":x1j9szig said:
TennesseeTuxedo":x1j9szig said:
I thought the Cummings Diesel was the only reason to own a Dodge, if you're going gas get a Ford or Chevy.

that's the problem TT " you thought "

Cute, typical idiocy we've come to expect from you.

CB, if you're dead set on buying a foreign truck take a look at the Toyota Tacoma.

We run all Dodge/Ram trucks, and have for years. That's mostly because of the Cummins. I had a Chevy years ago with the 6.0 LS and no complaints. The boss has had a few Suburbans along the way, and no complaints with them either. The Suburbans all had the 5.3 LS, and all lasted well over 200k miles. I have jacked around with a few LS stand alone projects, and they are ridiculously durable and make insane power for the size and money. My Dad, Father in Law, and Grandpa are all Dodge gasser owners/drivers, with great success. Like I said in the last dust up about trucks, all three build a better one now than they did 10, 20, or 30 years ago.

My uncle just bought a new Ram 2500 with the big Hemi. He like you drove Ford's forever, probably closer to 40 years for him actually. He's very pleased with the truck. He doesn't pull often but will haul several loads of hay and cattle a year. He doesn't have enough miles on it though to give much of a durability report.

I have one. Itsin a ton truck though. Can't speak to the dependability because I've only had it 6 months. It has enough power for me. I pull a few times a week, but not everyday.

I agree with TT , thats hilarious ! never thought of dodge truck as foreign truck but that seems to be the case . they sure are ugly trucks . to me the the old ones look about like the new ones

J&D Cattle":1lhw9ixz said:
My uncle just bought a new Ram 2500 with the big Hemi. He like you drove Ford's forever, probably closer to 40 years for him actually. He's very pleased with the truck. He doesn't pull often but will haul several loads of hay and cattle a year. He doesn't have enough miles on it though to give much of a durability report.

That's where I am in life

My experience with dodge gas trucks is limited to 1999 3/4. I bought it in 2005 along with a brand new 3500 diesel. I drove it home and put a cm bed on it. Didn't drive it again for I guess seven years. It was drove strictly by employees lived a very hard life. It was probably never washed once. I put one transmission in it. After being retired from the fence business I used for about 3 years as a farm truck. The dash did fall apart but aside from the trans replacement at around 200,000 no real problems until the engine came apart at around 330,000.
Metal was high. I had it crushed.

Buying used or new? Any reason you don't want another Ford?

I think you will be disappointed at the fit and finish on the Dodge after a little while.

If you are buying new, or a couple years old look in to the big Ford gas motor in the 3/4 ton. I know a lot guys who got rid of their diesels for them and are happy. There are a ton of them on the road. I just would not buy an older V10 or any thing like that.

If you are buying new or used the GM 6.0L pretty much owns that category. They have been dominating that deal since like 1999 with the same motor. The 6.0L is a proven, dependable motor, that pulls great. You can buy used and you know what you are getting. There are plenty of people that go 300K+ on those motors so I would not hesitate to buy used with some miles on the truck.

Brute 23":1sj3h176 said:

I think you will be disappointed at the fit and finish on the Dodge after a little while.

If you are buying new, or a couple years old look in to the big Ford gas motor in the 3/4 ton. I know a lot guys who got rid of their diesels for them and are happy. There are a ton of them on the road. I just would not buy an older V10 or any thing like that.

If you are buying new or used the GM 6.0L pretty much owns that category. They have been dominating that deal since like 1999 with the same motor. The 6.0L is a proven, dependable motor, that pulls great. You can buy used and you know what you are getting. There are plenty of people that go 300K+ on those motors so I would not hesitate to buy used with some miles on the truck.

It will be new, I don't want to deal with the aluminum body on the Fords. Just haven't had to depend on a gasser to pull in decades. Didn't really know what was out there.

My sister drives a 2008 Dodge Hemi. She has had pretty good luck other than they do like gas. The biggest problem she has had was with the flapper in the heater that turns the outside air coming to the heater on and off. The whole dash had to come out to fix it and cost $900. They told her that was a weakness in those trucks and it could go out at anytime again as there was no improvement made in the part yet.

Caustic Burno":23ow7jqc said:
Brute 23":23ow7jqc said:

It will be new, I don't want to deal with the aluminum body on the Fords. Just haven't had to depend on a gasser to pull in decades. Didn't really know what was out there.

Got ya. Go drive a Chevy or GMC and see what you think. I just traded in my 15 for a 17. The interiors and bodies are the same. It had 115K miles on it. With all the jacked up roads and pastures I drive the interior was perfect still, brakes were still around 50%.. the truck as whole drove like the day I drove it off the lot. I had a little slack in the steering from an idler arm but I ran 35x12 mud tires on it for those miles too so I was happy.

You should be able to get a smoking deal on a 16 if you can find one on the lot.

Caustic Burno":14lzv4g5 said:
Brute 23":14lzv4g5 said:

Any reason you don't want the alumnium body? They have been the finest thing since sliced bread now that TDOT uses that brine crap in the winter.

Yea I don't like being a test driver for the auto company till they get the bugs worked out of new designs.
Hearing horror stories on body repair.

Gotcha. I did not know anyone did body repairs on a farm truck. Serious question though, steel or aluminum, does any one repair body work any more? The last several I have had repaired the body shop just replaced the dented panels with new pre painted ones. These were all steel vehicles.

Latest posts