Dodge Ram Question

Help Support CattleToday:

ga. prime

Reaction score
My brother brought me a Ram 1500 that he repo'd and wanted me to see what was wrong with it. He said the motor was reving while driving along at steady speed. I drove it to town, had the oil changed and two flat tires fixed. Drove it back home. Didn't really notice the reving he was talking about but the rpms would vary slightly up and down while parked. The engine light was on. Today I was going to drive it to a shop and have it computer analyzed as to why the light was on and now it won't run at all. It'll crank up, run 2 seconds and shut down. The oil pressure comes up as it should. I cranked it several times and every time it would shut down in 2 seconds. Any ideas? I think it's an '03 model.

I am a certified dodge tech for 10 years, farming is my second job.did the garage tell you what code was in the computer. Usually the code will tell you what the problem is. Is it a gas or diesel? Sounds like it could be a fuel problem.

cfarmer, it's gas. It hasn't been computer checked. All I had done was oil change. I was going to go have it computer checked today, but it won't stay running.

flip the key sw off and on w/o starting the truck 3 times and wait for the codes to show in the odometer slot. then we can help better.

the dealer scanned it and if they charged you they didnt give you a printout of the codes? they screwed ya cuz they should have

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Computer analysis NEVER BEEN done. If I can crank it and it'll run long enough to get to town, I'll get the computer analysis done! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Thanks for the ideas! :lol: Keep 'em coming! :lol:

Limomike":29rjeohy said:
sounds like a dodge to me... :shock:
:lol2: and when the engine problem gets finished go ahead and replace that rear end - it will need it.

And if you can figure out how to fix the air temp control PLEASE let me know. Ours takes weeks (really) to switch from warm to cool or back.

You can buy one of those small code readers for not much. They are a big help. Sounds like fuel pump problem , I would make sure it has fuel pressure.

Larry

It could be fuel pump prob, but it's shutting down electronically. It'll start beautifully, run 2 seconds and then shut down like you switched the key off.

if you read the past post, go and turn the key on(but not cranking) and off 3 times and it will bring up the code in the odometer spot, and then find out what they mean on the internet, and that will tell you whats wrong

c farmer":23l0i98n said:
I am a certified dodge tech for 10 years, farming is my second job.did the garage tell you what code was in the computer. Usually the code will tell you what the problem is. Is it a gas or diesel? Sounds like it could be a fuel problem.

You are a "certified" dodge tech and you dont know if a Ram 1500 is gas or diesel? Yeah, I want you wrenching on my vehicle.. :roll:

dieselbeef, your advice to switch on and off without cranking three times worked to an extent. Number code came up but wasn't listed in code manuel. Now, the engine light is off and the truck cranks and runs well! No hurry to get fixed, I'll keep the board posted on further developments. Got a third flat however. :lol:

c farmer":24lginy3 said:
I guess i didnt read the post close enough. Sorry

Wrenching on a vehicle in front of you and trying to help folks in here are 2 different things. I appreciate what you tried to do for this poster and someday I may need your help so hang in there and don't let the computer wizards put you off this board.

ga. prime":i2udbqpz said:
dieselbeef, your advice to switch on and off without cranking three times worked to an extent. Number code came up but wasn't listed in code manuel. Now, the engine light is off and the truck cranks and runs well! No hurry to get fixed, I'll keep the board posted on further developments. Got a third flat however. :lol:

cool. glad i culd help. the other thing you may try would be to unhook the batteries for about 5 min with the key on. that'll clear the ecm/pcm. lots of internet sites to get you the codes

Mystery solved. Thanks for the good advice. After switching key on and off three times without starting, code came up on odometer board. Took code to computer and after a few keystrokes found code stating: "invalid key". Went back and looked at key set(two ram keys on keyring) noticed one was fatter than the other.. Tried the fat one.. Truck cranked and ran fine. Both will start truck, but the skinny one won't keep it running. Apparently there's some sort of microchip in the fat one that tells the truck to stay running. I don't have a theory as to the utility of having a key that will start a truck, but not keep it running. Anybody?

will that key trick work on 1998 1500 my ck light has come on twice and than goes out after a couple of days ?

Latest posts