Dodge ram 1500 Problem

Help Support CattleToday:

idylglade1

Reaction score
My son bought a 96 Dodge Ram1500 last summer and I have to admit it has been nothing but trouble for the poor kid. Emphasis on POOR! He has had to fix and replace numerous things on this truck but this last thing also has our mechanic and a dodge guru stumped! He has had the computer replaced 4 times. No more warranty. He can only get less than 30 miles out of this truck before she smokes the computer. This last week he picked it up from the shop and drove it home and was going to park it with the for sale sign in it. On the way home turned in the driveway and she died again! Tempermental thing! Called the shop and I really feel sorry for that guy, he is so stumped he sounded like he wanted to cry! I was just wondering if anyone had some kind of idea or know of some kinda fluke with these dodges. Just trying to help my kid out and make the situation a little easier on him. Poor kid has worked like a dog to pay the shop bill off, and all he wants is for it to stay running to sell! Thanks for letting me vent!

First off, I hope someone comes up with a fix.

Barring that, no reason to unload it on some other unsuspecting person.
Take it to a parts salvage yard and sell it to them and part it out. Lesson learned.

Bites don't it.

I didn't mean it like to put the problem in someone else's hands. I just have an ornary streak in me that I don't like it when something outsmarts me. I come from the old school of "there has to be a way to fix it", Maybe that is why I am such a "pack rat"! HaHa. I am not that kind of person to let my problems onto them. I will salvage the thing for parts if I have to. I know lesson learned, it is just my kid has had more than his share of them! Thanks for your opinion I appreciate it! :)

I would be looking for a different mechanic!
When the second computer went out he should have found out WHY before it burned up two more. :roll:

Yeah, fire the mechanic, especially if he's charging the kid for 4 computers. After the first replacement, he should have quit charging. Anyway, this is not common for Dodge trucks, so I'll run off some things to check:

1) grounding issue. There are two ground straps running from the engine/transmission to the frame. Remove and clean them both.
2) alternator issue. Maybe getting some spikes.
3) Pull the wiring harness apart and check for melted wires. That means every wiring harness that has a direct run to the computer. If there is something that isn't working (besides the computer), start with those wires first.

Good luck. Electrical issues can be a real bear to sort out. I'd also go back to whoever sold the kid this truck and ask if it had ever happened before. Perhaps they had it happen...

Rod

idylglade1":33e9hb9k said:
My son bought a 96 Dodge Ram1500 last summer and I have to admit it has been nothing but trouble for the poor kid. Emphasis on POOR! He has had to fix and replace numerous things on this truck but this last thing also has our mechanic and a dodge guru stumped! He has had the computer replaced 4 times. No more warranty. He can only get less than 30 miles out of this truck before she smokes the computer. This last week he picked it up from the shop and drove it home and was going to park it with the for sale sign in it. On the way home turned in the driveway and she died again! Tempermental thing! Called the shop and I really feel sorry for that guy, he is so stumped he sounded like he wanted to cry! I was just wondering if anyone had some kind of idea or know of some kinda fluke with these dodges. Just trying to help my kid out and make the situation a little easier on him. Poor kid has worked like a dog to pay the shop bill off, and all he wants is for it to stay running to sell! Thanks for letting me vent!

I had a 97 that I worked on and it had a screw that rubbed through the harness near the drivers side on the cowl. It would do the same thing. Might be worth a look.

Oh yea I smoked 2 before I started looking real hard for a big problem.

Thanks JHH hubby got home late last nite and he and son are going to check it out! Thanks again!

idylglade1":2lk7o6sl said:
Thanks JHH hubby got home late last nite and he and son are going to check it out! Thanks again!

Did you find anything? If not does the check engine light come on for a bulb check? And is it an automatic?

idylglade1":1x3qxwtc said:

The 1500 series were built for the average joe to tool around in town in and any off road wear would be bad. They are a weak version of the real dodge 2500
Always buy a real truck and if you dont need a truck --- really---- dont buy one

Latest posts