Dodge automatic transmission

Help Support CattleToday:

The guy I helped last winter in Goldendale bought one late winter/early spring this year. I know he loved it and was very impressed. I rode in it a number of times when the trailer was full of cows. I drove it twice pulling a trailer. Once with an empty trailer and one time with a light load (3 horses). It sure did the job.

I have a 5500 with the Aisin 6 speed, and pull a load with it daily. Best transmission I've ever had. In the tow haul mode, with exhaust brake on full, it'll snap your neck on a downshift with a light load. Couldn't be any happier with mine so far.

I guess you're loaded Farm Fence!!

I'm trying to decide between a Chevy 3500HD with the Allison and the Dodge. I have one of each now and it's time for an upgrade.

Thanks guys!

Named'em Tamed'em":bbivflic said:
I guess you're loaded Farm Fence!!

I'm trying to decide between a Chevy 3500HD with the Allison and the Dodge. I have one of each now and it's time for an upgrade.

Thanks guys!

Like you, I've had them both. Pre 2012, there might have been a debate, but not today. My Dodge, although a rougher ride, drives much better than my Chevy 3/4 ton. Cummins and Aisin seal the deal. Front end has been perfect on my 16' with over 70K mostly loaded miles on it.

I wonder what part of a Dodge truck is still made by Dodge these days? Aisin transmissions, Cummins engines, Dana diffs, hmmmmm.....

:hide:

Silver":38bn2ws3 said:
I wonder what part of a Dodge truck is still made by Dodge these days? Aisin transmissions, Cummins engines, Dana diffs, hmmmmm.....

None of the good parts. :lol2:

That being said, GMs Duramax is part Isuzu, and the Allison is obviously not made by GM.

I guess Ford is the only one currently making their own drivetrain.

Named'em Tamed'em":16c5xnpx said:
Both rigs are 2006 models. A Kodiak 4500, and a dodge 3500 dually. I want to replace the Kodiak.

Ram 4500 or 5500. Just my opinion and experience. Best truck purchase I've ever made.

Silver":1a0lm479 said:

Which models use the Dana diff's? The '07 3500 I had used AAM diff's and I was under the impression the newer ones were still using AAM.

I ordered a Ford this go round, but would consider trying another Dodge if they used Dana axles.

cfpinz":1v5h1vq3 said:
Silver":1v5h1vq3 said:

Which models use the Dana diff's? The '07 3500 I had used AAM diff's and I was under the impression the newer ones were still using AAM.

I ordered a Ford this go round, but would consider trying another Dodge if they used Dana axles.

I may stand to be corrected on that. I had it in my head they used Dana, but that may have been a long time ago. I'm pretty sure the 2nd gen Dodges all had Dana 80's

Silver":3j66u0u6 said:
cfpinz":3j66u0u6 said:
Silver":3j66u0u6 said:

I may stand to be corrected on that. I had it in my head they used Dana, but that may have been a long time ago. I'm pretty sure the 2nd gen Dodges all had Dana 80's

Off the top of my head, I think my wife's old '99 2500 had a modified Dana 60 in the front but can't remember what was in back. My '07 3500 and her '09 2500 have AAM stamped all over the front ends and for some reason I think that's the mfg for the rear ends, also. Not impressed with the AAM fronts, or the locating hardware.

I pull roughly 10k on a near daily basis with a 68RFE in a 2017 3/4 ton Ram diesel. With 40k miles towing, the transmission has held up fairly well. But I'm not absolutely pleased with its performance. Some times it feels like its too quick to downshift, and other times it feels like its lugging! The exhaust brake does work very well and I do enjoy the integrated trailer brake controller. Ram makes a good truck to tow with, but I just wish it was a G56. Nothing like choosing your own gears.

Overall its been a great truck to work out of, I highly recommend Ram over their Ford and GM counterparts.

I have a 2017 I ordered new with the Aisin, after having a 47RE, G56, 48RE, and now the Aisin, its my favorite. It's an animal that seems to never give up. I pull heavy on the regular with it and it never skips a beat.

This 2017 is the first Ram I've had that I felt has the whole package. I used to buy them for the Cummins only.

We have some contractors working along my road. Seems half a dozen of them or so are running new Cummins with the 6 speed auto. It's easy to know they pass as they buy the hotrod muffler so they can listen to it rumble and I can hear all the shifting going on....kind of like back in my day it was dual exhausts with "Smitty" brand glass packs!

Latest posts