Dodge 3500 A\T

Help Support CattleToday:

TSR

Reaction score
I recently bought a 2004 Dodge 3500 Cummings with 4 wd and auto trans. I drove it for a couple of weeks hauling several loads of hay on a 32 ft gooseneck and had no problems. Well diesel got high and I parked it for 2 weeks while I drove something a little cheaper. When I started it back up approx. 2 wks later the trans. wouldn't shift-it wanted to stay in low until the engine temp. finally reached about 195 then it would shift to 2nd but not to high. Anyone have any idea what happened while it was sitting? Worked fine before I parked it.???

Have you checked the fluid level hot? That's about the only thing that could have changed while sitting........it leaked.

Kingfisher":2ixc54hz said:
Have you checked the fluid level hot? That's about the only thing that could have changed while sitting........it leaked.

First thing I checked, hot while in neutral. It was low, and I topped it off, but no change in the shifting.

I would have some one scan the control systems. Not pull codes at Autozone. ;) A reputable transmission shop, diesel shop or the dealer. That way you are not guessing.

Thats the problem with a Dodge truck with a diesel engine. Their automatic transmission can't hold the torque of the engine. Their 5 and 6 speed manual transmission are the best out of all the light truck mfgs.

highgrit":2zr8xdp9 said:
Thats the problem with a Dodge truck with a diesel engine. Their automatic transmission can't hold the torque of the engine. Their 5 and 6 speed manual transmission are the best out of all the light truck mfgs.
NV4500's were the best. NV5600's had an oiling problem with 6th gear but is fixable with a rebuild. And the G56's weren't great. After the first one I would replace with a NV5600. There's nothing wrong with the 47RE and 48RE's. You just have to spend a little money to make them live. I havent delt with a 68RE. I'll put my auto up againt any factory 5 or 6speed.

It sounds like one of two things. It's either a low voltage problem. Was the truck hard to start? Is the alternator charging properly? Lose battery terminals? These trucks go bananas when the voltage get out of parameter. The worst case scenario are the bands are out of adjustment. I think it's the bands but check those other things first before you drop the pan.
Randy
27788c11.jpg

You can build a 40 plus year old powerglide auto to hold 800 hp. I am talking junk from the factory.

High Cotton":3pdeksms said:
highgrit":3pdeksms said:
NV4500's were the best. NV5600's had an oiling problem with 6th gear but is fixable with a rebuild. And the G56's weren't great. After the first one I would replace with a NV5600. There's nothing wrong with the 47RE and 48RE's. You just have to spend a little money to make them live. I havent delt with a 68RE. I'll put my auto up againt any factory 5 or 6speed.

It sounds like one of two things. It's either a low voltage problem. Was the truck hard to start? Is the alternator charging properly? Lose battery terminals? These trucks go bananas when the voltage get out of parameter. The worst case scenario are the bands are out of adjustment. I think it's the bands but check those other things first before you drop the pan.
Randy
27788c11.jpg

Thanks for the info. After sitting for a couple of weeks I thought it started pretty good. Now I also have a '98 Dodge Diesel with a 5 speed manual and it will start before you can get your hand on the key.
The only odd thing I have noticed about the '04 truck is that it will speed up intermittently when idling from about 750 to 1100rpm and then it will go back to 750. It might do this once every 15 minutes.

I think it might be the bands out of adjustment. That seems to be a common problem with 48RE's thats symptoms sound very similar to your problem. Shoot me a pm and I will email you the image I posted. It got screwed up when I posted it.

Does the idle change while the motor is cold and idling warming up? If it's not the grid heater kicking off then back on again. It's probably something to with rail pressure but hard to say for sure with out putting a gauge on it.

Diesel Bombers.com
All the help and advice from hundreds of Diesel Truck owners all over America. It's free and tons of useful information.

highgrit":oljw31mg said:

I pull heavy trailers a lot and have for years on my day job. Had a problem with a mid 90's Ford F350 with diesel and automatic. After we put the third transmission in it we just stopped using it to pull trailers.

Since then I have been using Dodge Cummins with the 6-speed manual with great luck on both the engine and transmission.

Traded trucks this past August and on the recommendation of a trusted salesman I went with the 2010 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins and their automatic.

What a difference from the earlier transmissions. This one can take the torque of the diesel. It has a tow/haul mode which changes the shift points and a standard engine brake ans built in brale controller that works.

What you said in the quote above has been correct. However I think that some engineers finally properly matched a working diesel and an automatic transmission in the 2010 and 2011 Dodge 3500's.

My left foot does go up and sown through the air some times but I have to admit I like the automatic. Having the engine brake also negates one of the advantages to the manual transmissions. With the engine brake and the manual override on the shift lever I can take a heavy trailer down a long steep hill safely without burning up the brakes.

As you can tell, I really like this truck drivetrain for what I do with it. Not designed to just go to Church and the grocery store however. jmho.

Jim

High Cotton":1e564qqj said:
highgrit":1e564qqj said:

Randy
27788c11.jpg

I never liked them either. they would have the nut on the reverse and fifth gear come loose. Still had to work on them. Very hard to beat the allison behind a duramax. I do agree that them cummins engines really have the torque and power. But its a little hard to pull anything when it is in the shop.

SRBeef":3anez1gp said:
highgrit":3anez1gp said:

I pull heavy trailers a lot and have for years on my day job. Had a problem with a mid 90's Ford F350 with diesel and automatic. After we put the third transmission in it we just stopped using it to pull trailers.

Since then I have been using Dodge Cummins with the 6-speed manual with great luck on both the engine and transmission.

Traded trucks this past August and on the recommendation of a trusted salesman I went with the 2010 Dodge 3500 with the Cummins and their automatic.

What a difference from the earlier transmissions. This one can take the torque of the diesel. It has a tow/haul mode which changes the shift points and a standard engine brake ans built in brale controller that works.

What you said in the quote above has been correct. However I think that some engineers finally properly matched a working diesel and an automatic transmission in the 2010 and 2011 Dodge 3500's.

My left foot does go up and sown through the air some times but I have to admit I like the automatic. Having the engine brake also negates one of the advantages to the manual transmissions. With the engine brake and the manual override on the shift lever I can take a heavy trailer down a long steep hill safely without burning up the brakes.

As you can tell, I really like this truck drivetrain for what I do with it. Not designed to just go to Church and the grocery store however. jmho.

Jim

You haven't put that 68rfe to hard enough work yet. I've put three in mine in 60,000 miles. It's alright stock, but doesn't like much abuse.

I now have about 21,000 mi on my August 2010 Dodge Cummins with the automatic. I am not sure what the transmission model number is but no sign of trouble and I've been pulling a trailer for about 18,000 of those 21,000. We have 3 of these trucks at my employer so we should be a pretty good test. There is also a 100,000 mi warranty on the drivetrain.

In driving the Interstates, from the windshield survey it seems like the long distance guys that deliver RV's coast to coast tend to use the Dodge Cummins, newer ones with the auto trans. I guess we will see.

This thing still feels solid, unlike my mid-90's Ford diesel/auto which you KNEW there was something not right about every 20k.

I think the key to longevity for any auto transmission, especially in heavy use is to change the fluid frequently. We plan on changing fluid every 36k as suggested by the service mgr at the dealership we work with.

i have a custom trans in my truck....gorend converter with suncoast perf parts..ove 5k in it..but im makin big power and towing heavy...my truck is heavily modded

gary

Latest posts