Docility EPD`s

Help Support CattleToday:

Cattleman200

Reaction score
Many posts on this topic in the past. Some people think its important. Others think any breed that needs a docility EPD has big problems. In most cases its the Limousin breed that gets hammered for this trait. I have always said that other breeds could benefit from using a docility EPD. Well guess what? I just took this off of the AAA website.

Submit data now for Angus Docility EPDs - The initial research release of sire docility EPDs is planned to follow the Association's deadline for submitting performance data on November 9, 2007. Breeders must submit their yearling temperament scores by the November 9th deadline in order to be included in the docility genetic evaluation. For questions, contact the Performance Programs Department at 816-383-5100.

Anyone surprised? It appears that the breed leader in the industry feels the need for this EPD also. I believe others will follow or I think they should. Just as the Limousin breed has worked and used this important tool it will now help other breeds weed out wild and crazy animals.

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Persoanlly I think with some breed associations there isn EPD race to see who can have the most EPDs wether they mean anything or not.

I am not supprised. AAA is always looking for betterways to know every detail about the cattle. Minnie Lou Bradley, past AAA president, has purposed an EPD for hair loss to be used for people wanting to know if the cattle they buy will slick off during the summer. I think it goes back to information is power. The more you know the better one will be able to market the animals they breed.

Eventually you have to start combining some information otherwise it becomes information overload and you start to second guess purchasing or breeding decisions based upon EPD's that are relatively insignificant because everyone wants an animal to excel in every "single" trait and lose focus of the whole product.

Latest posts