Doc Visit

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3birlhy9 said:
Saw bones told me yesterday that I am disabled, wanted to know if I needed a handicap sticker. I had just finished rebuilding 2800 foot run of fence, putting in a large garden, working the cows, reclaiming lumber from an old bridge, building a new drive through pole barn for the hateful hay bailer. This was all in the last 4 to 6 weeks.
I am sitting here stewing on it now, old yes, a little slower yes, more aches and pains yes, disabled no, thats when they pat that last shovel full of dirt in my face.

Its just a word, cheer up and forget it!

GMN

Doctors always suggest you take a month or a year off work.
Yeah, like that is going to happen.
Around here, the handicapped plate or the temporary mirror hanging tag are sure signs of a driver who bears watching. You can bet they either will not signal, or they will signal 5 miles ahead. They will speed up, and slow down, without reason.
Wally has those parking spots up front for "People With Small Children". My daughter was always too proud to let me park there. I can walk, Dad. Hey, it was Saturday. It was the only spot within half a mile of the checkout. She was a small child, by age. 7 or 8 at the time. We were inside the letter of the law. But, we walked.

Well after reading all these posts, I'm so depressed I think I'll go to bed. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong on second thought. I should be happy that I can still get around pretty good. Sorry for all the pain you guys have.
It is depressing to go to the sale barn and see all those old cattlemen hobbling along so slowly. After only 8 years in the business my husband has had broken bones, torn ligaments, cuts to the bone and we were retirement age when we started this venture.

Mosho":1hb7zw53 said:
Well after reading all these posts, I'm so depressed I think I'll go to bed. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong on second thought. I should be happy that I can still get around pretty good. Sorry for all the pain you guys have.
It is depressing to go to the sale barn and see all those old cattlemen hobbling along so slowly. After only 8 years in the business my husband has had broken bones, torn ligaments, cuts to the bone and we were retirement age when we started this venture.
thats the thing most of us old guys earned the reasons we can no longer get around.but the truth is i doubt if any of us would change a thing.except for maybe not getting hurt near as much.an im sure a few of us have been told they need to sell the cows an retire because of our cobndition.i know i have.but i wont give up.because i know if i quit id give up an die.

bigbull338":2vbxmuy3 said:
Mosho":2vbxmuy3 said:
thats the thing most of us old guys earned the reasons we can no longer get around.but the truth is i doubt if any of us would change a thing.except for maybe not getting hurt near as much.an im sure a few of us have been told they need to sell the cows an retire because of our cobndition.i know i have.but i wont give up.because i know if i quit id give up an die.

My daddy, when he died, had bursitis in his shoulder, a knee that had to be drained periodically, arthritis in his hands, and a limp (after his stroke). About 6 months before he died from a heart attack he looked across the milk tank at me and said, "Honey, when I die I want to go right here...in this barn...the one I designed...in my overalls." Oh, how I wish that could have been. He was only 63 at the time he died, yet his life was full and he never quit. To me, that is a testament...

Alice

Caustic Burno":301vi9tr said:
Had a nerve conduction test last week if you ever get invited to one of these parties decline the invitation.
I got hot shoted from head to toe and was hotter then a Brimmer bull when I got off that table.
Then the MRI which was nothing. Found two herniated disc in the neck which is causing things to lock up once in a while. Doc said stay off the tractor that is not happening either, have to go see a neurogolist on May 8th.

CB, I had one of those nerve conductivity tests done from my neck to my fingers. No fun at all. And we didn't know anything more when we finished than when we started.

Life can be tough.

There are success stories as well. One i know of one who lived to 85 and walked as tall as he always had. He might not have been able to work as he did once but it he still put in half days and quit at lunch. He had given up his half days on Saturday as well.

His hands were calloused and he would remove some with his knife for some reason. There was no softness in his palms. He had arthritis and other issues that had been overcome except for stamina.

He was hard as the day is long.

He died in a freak farming accident involving cutting wood.

He never went to school as at the time he was needed to help his dad in his efforts to help the family. He was born in 1907.

85 years of age seems like a lifetime away. I wish i could be so lucky.

I wish the best for ya'll as well.

bigbull338":29h0aicx said:
but the truth is i doubt if any of us would change a thing.except for maybe not getting hurt near as much.

This reminds me of the half joking comment "If I knew I was going to live this long I'ld have taken better care of my body". There are very few things I would have changed in what I've done even if I knew how much it would hurt later on. It's all of those things that logic tells you that you shouldn;t have done that makes you who you are today.

I feel very lucky to be where I am. Havent backed down from any work my whole life.
I do have the ol Author with me every day. Kinda got use to waking up with pain but if I didn't I'd probably think I died.I just go on each day and either I forget about or it goes away.
The real problem is that my right leg has no feeling from the hip down.Gotten used to it but I sure watch where I stand. If I happend to stand in a fireant hill when I felt them it would already be to late.

Cal

Caustic Burno":26uux3q1 said:
Saw bones told me yesterday that I am disabled, wanted to know if I needed a handicap sticker. I had just finished rebuilding 2800 foot run of fence, putting in a large garden, working the cows, reclaiming lumber from an old bridge, building a new drive through pole barn for the hateful hay bailer. This was all in the last 4 to 6 weeks.
I am sitting here stewing on it now, old yes, a little slower yes, more aches and pains yes, disabled no, thats when they pat that last shovel full of dirt in my face.

It is a time we all will face (hopefully). Some of us are going to pay for all the bumps, jars and bounces off of the pasture we took in our youth.

My paternal grandaddy was in his 80's and never slowed down as much as the doc told him to. He crawled under his house and fixed a water leak. Came in and told my grandmother, "That will never have to be fixed again." He reclined in his recliner and eased off to sleep. He never woke up from that nap. If you are ever gonna go, that's the way to do it. It left all of us with peace knowing he didn't suffer.

CB if you are still doing 11 miles a day, plus that list you cited, all you have to do is be smart about things. Eat right and don't over do it. You're gonna probably be prone to being stubborn about things. That's just how it is working in the environment. Patience is the key. If some fool runs off of the road, rips the fence, and all the cows have a jail break, just take it slow an easy. Work smart when you crawl on that tractor too. You know what that means.

Dad had one of those lift chairs to help him get up and out of the chair but had no problem crawling up and off of a tractor. Go figure that one. He had a cousin, that after they took the keys to his truck away and told him he couldn't drive anymore, would get on his tractor, put the walker he used over the hood and go visiting and roaming the countryside.

backhoeboogie":n42l6sa2 said:
Caustic Burno":n42l6sa2 said:

It is a time we all will face (hopefully). Some of us are going to pay for all the bumps, jars and bounces off of the pasture we took in our youth.

My paternal grandaddy was in his 80's and never slowed down as much as the doc told him to. He crawled under his house and fixed a water leak. Came in and told my grandmother, "That will never have to be fixed again." He reclined in his recliner and eased off to sleep. He never woke up from that nap. If you are ever gonna go, that's the way to do it. It left all of us with peace knowing he didn't suffer.

CB if you are still doing 11 miles a day, plus that list you cited, all you have to do is be smart about things. Eat right and don't over do it. You're gonna probably be prone to being stubborn about things. That's just how it is working in the environment. Patience is the key. If some fool runs off of the road, rips the fence, and all the cows have a jail break, just take it slow an easy. Work smart when you crawl on that tractor too. You know what that means.

I still work out every day on the bike and walk the fences
It is the evil tractor that has messed up my back and neck through the years.
I never did figure out why the tractor companies couldn't put a smooth ride on one, come up with a design that you are not twisted up like a pretzel to watch the implement.
Put floating cab's on them with a set of shocks. The newer tractors are man killers they are so short coupled seems like the front and back tire fall off in the same hole together.
I have a fairly new Orange tractor in the barn 02 cab model I very rarely get on, it will beat you to death.
I mostly use a 30 year old Massey that rides like a Cadillac compared to these new ones, wish I never sold my old MF 135 or Ford 3000.

Caustic Burno":38h9c1j9 said:
It is the evil tractor that has messed up my back and neck through the years.

I thought a plowmans neck just went with the territory!

Latest posts