Doc: How do you take a good picture?

Help Support CattleToday:

KMacGinley

Reaction score
Doc: Could you explain to the board the proper method for taking attractive cattle pictures. I would like to know and I am sure others would as well. :)

KMacGinley":1xukz1bu said:
Doc: Could you explain to the board the proper method for taking attractive cattle pictures. I would like to know and I am sure others would as well. :)
well first off, you have to not mind looking like a idiot running all over the pasture tryin' to get that perfect shot. but all in all, its kinda worth it on here if you want too have any dignity left afterwards
:p

I don't want to sound like a smart donkey, but to take a good pic you have to take a bunch of bad ones. It may take an hour or more to get the right pic depending on how good of one that you want. Digital cameras are your friend here, nothing like shooting 3 rolls of film and not having anything worth using when you get it back 2 days later.

From my limited experience I can tell you that you want the sun to your back. If you have a big animal that you want to downsize shoot more down on them, if you've got a small one that needs to look bigger shoot from a lower angle. If you've got one that's got a little too much front, shoot from the 3/4 angle and that will hide some of the front end.

You need to know what the animal has going for and against it and show as much positive while showing as little negative as possible.

KMacGinley":o14m6ehd said:
Mac-

Thank you for the compliment! But, obviously, these posts are far more complete and comprehensive than anything I might be able to add - with this caveat: in concentrating on THE animal, and it's Phenotype, which is what most of us are interested in, the visual image should include a view from 90 degrees from the side with the camera lens pointed DIRECTLY LEVEL at a spot 3"-4" behind the animal's front 'elbow', a view pointed DIRECTLY LEVEL at a spot EXACTLY BETWEEN the animal's hind legs and approximately 24" above the ground, and a view pointed DIRECTLY LEVEL at a spot EXACTLY BETWEEN the animal's front legs and approximately 24" above the ground. Those directions will accurately depict what the animal REALLY IS, rather than deliberately attempting to "cover up any faults" it may possess! Not too easy! A view directly from above the animal pointing directly down on top of the animal would be optimal, but that would be pretty difficult without a helicopter or a "sky-hook"! Not too practical!

What we are talking about here is - NOT lying to our prospective "viewers", but attempting to express what the animal's Phenotype actually is, in order for them, AND ourselves, to correctly assess the phenotype and physical characteristics of a specific animal, to be able to determine whether, or NOT, it would be advisable to utilize it's Genetics in our herd(s) for IMPROVEMENT of the BOTTOM LINE PROFIT! After all, that is what the ultimate GOAL of our BU$INE$$ endeavors are - - - ISN'T IT??

DOC HARRIS

The only thing I'll add... when taking front on or shots from behind I find its better to be further away and zoom in, the pesrective tends to pull everything out of proportion when you're too close.

There is only ONE way to take a quality, representative picture of any cattle: The Correct Way!

That Aside...

There are basically 3 types of photos that people take:

• 1. A quick and dirty shot of "the animal" without any regard to perspective...(aka "I'm Impatient")
    2. A misleading photo that emphasizes (on purpose) an animal's specific attribute in hopes of impressing someone.
    3. A correct photo from the proper perspective that gives equal chance to ALL aspects of the animal.

Now, what IS a good perspective?

The camera lens should be at a 90 degree angle to the SIDE of the animal and aimed at about mid-way between top and bottom line. The animal should have its head turned toward you. The far rear leg should be forward so one can see either the nuts or the bag structure. Sun should be behind the photographer. Photos should not be taken real early in the AM or late in the afternoon when the light is more "orange" colored, causing the photo to be off-color.

Camera: Best is a digital camera with fairly rapid "re-set" for next shot (or, a fast-sequence mode for multiple photos automatically for a few seconds---legs move, tails switch, heads move, etc.). Set camera mode on "action" shots. (Make sure your camera battery is fully charged and/or you still have lots of room on your memory device).

Time it takes: Be prepared to wait, wait for the best photo and angle. Hang around for quite a few minutes as needed. If no success, try again tomorrow...

How Many to Take: Take 10, 20, 50 shots until you are satisfied. Delete 95% of the ones you take as "unacceptable".

Bottomline: Poor photos or those emphasizing specific aspects of animal (e.g., head, horns, hip, etc.) rather than the WHOLE conformation of the animal only leads to misrepresenting the animal and/or jeopardizing your advertising and marketing of that animal. Poor photos are rampant: Just review the many auction and other catalogs...you'll see what I mean. In advertising, your objective is to present an attractive photo that is accurate in order to elicit an inquiry from a potential customer...

Latest posts